• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1190 four stroke triple

I
Nov 26, 2007
Polaris has a teaser ad out advertising an 1190 triple mountain sled and they're bringing back the xlt name.

Erik Buell Racing recently went bankrupt and sold off all assets, they made an 1190 four stroke triple motorcycle engine that produced 185 hp naturally aspirated.

There was a lot of speculation that Polaris was buying what EBR was selling.

pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
If it was a 2 stroke I would be all over that!! I have not seen any proof of this being a legit teaser yet though, the website listed in the corner is not registered..

Last edited:
J
Sep 26, 2013
Ebr uses an 1190 Twin and that was designed by Rotax, under license from Harley as the original water cooled 1125 Buell engine 10 years ago. They have also been purchased out of bankruptcy and are producing motorcycles again.

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
If EBR had a 3 cylinder motor it never saw production because all their bikes were v-twins.

Polaris could drop a 200hp 1000cc triple 2-stroke in and gain 40lbs, but who cares, it would still be a light sled.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It just doesn't seem right. Those are AC headlights. If it's a 4-stroker then why even discuss it? If it is a real teaser then I do like that it states "mountains" so we don't get stuck with some flat land sled.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I heard something interesting from an older gentleman who came to do a trail audit for our club today. He brought up the general motor being in a short track and mountain chassis his year. Said he wasn't a for stroke guy but thought it would be cool to see. So I asked him where he heard that, you know was it the internet or something. Me thinking it was from the same pic we've all see. Said no he has a good friend that is a polaris engineer and it is coming this year

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
I don't think Polaris would be dumb enough to put a heavy 4 stroke mountain sled out... if the triple rumor is true I bet its a 2 stroke. they are not going to loose the weight competition with an over weighted 4 stroke and if they do that's just laughing stock at that point and a joke.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I don't think Polaris would be dumb enough to put a heavy 4 stroke mountain sled out... if the triple rumor is true I bet its a 2 stroke. they are not going to loose the weight competition with an over weighted 4 stroke and if they do that's just laughing stock at that point and a joke.

Exactly.
Corporate suicide.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Exactly.
Corporate suicide.
But the chassis without the motor is by far the lightest. If they dropped the current yami motor in their chassis it would be the lightest 4 stroke on the market, so why not developed something similar? They could be the lightest mountian sled in every class still, and get back the chunk of the market that has gone to yami since they teamed up with cat and put a halfway decent chassis around their motor.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

Agreed! Kinda what Cat tried to do. Didn't work out so well for them.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Never have gotten this thing people have got for triples, I myself was glad to see them go. Big, bulky, heavy. Had one in my mountain max, sure wouldn't want that sled back. Just one extra everything to have problems with. No room under the hood with all the extra crap back then, could you imagine what it would be like to work on one in a current chassis. The fourstroke market has been dead for years and is a money losing venture, why would anyone want to add something to their lineup that is just going to cost them? I say the triple was buried long ago, lets leave it there.

Watch at 17:44 to 18:17 think they described a 4 stroke mountain sled perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpOE0gK_ic

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
The only place I could see a market for a big triple is the lake racers and track guys. Maybe the odd trail guy that wants to make big power

Technical Riding went the other way long ago, light nimble and quick response

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
triples have proven themselves better so far in the 4 stroke segment.
even guys stuffing the old 4 cyl apex motors in for what they do.
i might convert someday, i liked tree riding more when it was too difficult for the average rider. everybody is a buradnt these days.

Premium Features