• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Colorado Snowmobile Friendly?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
It is an easy question so I hope no one is offended. That's not my intent. I have the Colorado 2014 Official State Vacation Guide and I can't help but notice that with just a little over 200 pages, it only has one half of one page dedicated to snowmobiling. I have to believe that Colorado has some of the best snowmobiling anywhere and I can't understand why the state would not promote snowmobiling more.:face-icon-small-coo

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It is an easy question so I hope no one is offended. That's not my intent. I have the Colorado 2014 Official State Vacation Guide and I can't help but notice that with just a little over 200 pages, it only has one half of one page dedicated to snowmobiling. I have to believe that Colorado has some of the best snowmobiling anywhere and I can't understand why the state would not promote snowmobiling more.:face-icon-small-coo

Quite frankly, no, it isn't. Its mainly due to the idiot skiers and super rich folk who own land and seem to think they're so much better than everyone else because they don't participate in OHV use. Even in the 3 years that I've lived here there have been several large popular riding areas totally shut down for totally political reasons. IMO, Utah is the most snowmobile friendly state in the Rockies. You can even get it on your license plates there. Idaho would be a tie with Utah for first and/or a close second, Wyoming third, Montanna fourth, then you could throw in New Mexico, maybe Nevada, etc but IMO Colorado is dead last when it comes to snowmobile-friendliness in the rocky mountain region. I don't know how the west coast states fare, but I would assume probably not much better than Colorado.

B

bobthebuilder

Aug 27, 2012
Gypsum, CO
Downhill skiing is the big attraction in our state, if you have access to statistics Colorado has a relatively low number of registered snowmobiles, 2014 I think is less than 30,000, your home state is likely more than 200,000. The good thing about this statistic is when we ride it is unlikely to run into the hoards of people that skiing attracts. We have areas to ride where you only see people in the parking lots and not out riding.
Now all we need is more snow.......:smow:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
There would be three times, if not more than that, the legally rideable area in this state as there is right now were it not for the asshat ski crowd. When you consider the fact that Colorado is the most mountainous state in the rockies its really sort of pathetic how many areas in this state we are really able to ride snowmobiles. What, there are maybe 5 of them worth spending the money on a trip to go ride for a weekend when the snow permits?

C
Dec 24, 2014
It is politics that prevents Colorado from taking advantage of snowmobiling. Between Denver and a few ski towns we are now a liberal democrat state, one of the few in the west. Since that means more that 50% of the state now has brain damage, not much makes sense around here anymore...

Colorado is barely sled tolerant at this point and those in power would have us gone of they could. Your motorized anything is Satan and you are one degree worse if you operate one in the forests.

Of course that plan has backfired horrible with libby policies killing all of the trees. Oh heavens no we can't spray the trees for bugs, better to let them die and become a raging forest fire that wields more destruction in a week than a century of motorized vehicles.

Doesn't make sense but that is where we are at. Hiding out on the western slope definitely helps. Much less population = much less conflict most of the time. Pretty easy to find a deserted place to enjoy your sled out here.

Anymore, I do not really care if CO is sled friendly, we do it anyway, every chance we get!

It is all a bunch of brain washing anyway. We had 20+ richy riches come out to the ranch to take turns on our clients sleds. These are Telluride babies, very rich, very liberal, always been skiers. They all came up at the end of the day proclaiming it one of the best days they had ever spent in Telluride, and it wasn't on skis, it was on sleds.

When people are exposed to motorsports, I find they are almost always taken in. When they are lied to and told gasoline is the devils elixir, you get what we have today. A bunch of idiots protesting something they do not understand, and haven't really tried, sad really...

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
My family moved here when I was a kid 35 years ago. Its stinks that it changed so much but dwelling on it is a no win situation. I work in the firearms industry, hunt, dirt bike, atv, snowmobile & live on the front range :face-icon-small-hap

80% of Colorado (not Coloradoans) is pretty "normal" but there are a lot of folks living in the other 20%. They love tolerance except when it comes to tolerating stuff they don't like. The irony is lost on them.

I spend as much time in the 80% as I can and if I leave my house at 6:00am, I can be unloaded at the Snowies around 8:30am :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership

I would say the Colorado terrain and the amount of snow it gets most years are pretty snowmobile friendly, that is why I drive there from Indiana instead of nearby Michigan.

L
Feb 7, 2015
It's so funny, growing up on the east coast mountain sleds had no purpose because it's all trails, so when I moved out here I noticed that I am literally the ONLY trail sled 90% of the time. Sometimes I'm the only one that had been down the trail. I think that has alot to do with it not being as popular. (Mountain sleds cost a pretty penny)
Not to mention drag racing/lake racing being a weekend ritual with huge crowds. There's nothing like that here

Gravel mountain is my favorite. Even with a trail sled I can gun it and make it through the powder. 3' fresh pow up there today...amazing

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It's so funny, growing up on the east coast mountain sleds had no purpose because it's all trails, so when I moved out here I noticed that I am literally the ONLY trail sled 90% of the time. Sometimes I'm the only one that had been down the trail. I think that has alot to do with it not being as popular. (Mountain sleds cost a pretty penny)
Not to mention drag racing/lake racing being a weekend ritual with huge crowds. There's nothing like that here

Gravel mountain is my favorite. Even with a trail sled I can gun it and make it through the powder. 3' fresh pow up there today...amazing

The way things are going land management wise out west I am going to make the bold prediction that short track trail sleds will be making a comeback out west in the coming years.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
$.02

Downhill skiing is the big attraction in our state, if you have access to statistics Colorado has a relatively low number of registered snowmobiles, 2014 I think is less than 30,000, your home state is likely more than 200,000. The good thing about this statistic is when we ride it is unlikely to run into the hoards of people that skiing attracts. We have areas to ride where you only see people in the parking lots and not out riding.
Now all we need is more snow.......:smow:
With over 22,000 miles of trails and more registered sleds than any state it is pretty popular here. Being home to Polaris, Arctic Cat, FAST, Team, Dennis Kirk, and Haydays, just to name a few has a lot to do with it. I have been to Colorado summer and winter and I love, love, it there. All the people involve in the snowmobile industry pay their fair share of Colorado taxes. I would hope they would get more bang for their buck! And yes, more snow!:face-icon-small-sho

http://www.snowmobile.org/stats_registrations_us.asp

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
With over 22,000 miles of trails and more registered sleds than any state it is pretty popular here. Being home to Polaris, Arctic Cat, FAST, Team, Dennis Kirk, and Haydays, just to name a few has a lot to do with it. I have been to Colorado summer and winter and I love, love, it there. All the people involve in the snowmobile industry pay their fair share of Colorado taxes. I would hope they would get more bang for their buck! And yes, more snow!:face-icon-small-sho

http://www.snowmobile.org/stats_registrations_us.asp

Unfortunately, this is what we're up against:

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...ntry-resorts-set-record-visitor.html?page=all

Colorado ski resorts set record for visitors
Jun 12, 2014, 11:47am MDT Updated: Jun 12, 2014, 2:06pm MDT
Share on Google + Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on Twitter Email this article
Save
Order Reprints
Print
Winter Park base
Enlarge Photo
Jake DeGroot | Wikimedia

Skiers and snowboarders gather at the bast of Winter Park Ski Resort in Winter Park, Colorado.

Ed Sealover
Reporter- Denver Business Journal
Email | Facebook | Twitter | Capitol Business blog

See correction at end of article.

Colorado's ski resorts welcomed a record 12.6 million visitors during the recently completed ski season as they recovered from two consecutive years of poor snowfall, the Colorado Ski Country USA trade group reports.

That number topped the previous record of 12.56 million visitors that the state's 25 resorts attracted in 2006-07 and is up 10 percent from the 2012-13 season.

Colorado Ski Country president/CEO Melanie Mills called the record “exciting” as she announced the figures Thursday at her organization’s annual meeting.

Mills attributed the growth to the huge increase in snowfall that resorts experienced. Snowfall totals were up 46 percent from 2012-13 and were just below the 10-year average for the state.

The key to their success in attracting visitors was capitalizing on late-season snow in 2013 and continuing the momentum built up from that by playing up early-season precipitation this season that continued throughout the winter, she said.

“It was kind of the perfect snowstorm this year. It started snowing early and it kept snowing,” Mills said. “We feel very positively about the season and about the momentum we’ve established.”

The skier numbers released by Colorado Ski Country are for all Colorado mountain resorts, including those operated by Vail Resorts Inc. that are not members of the trade group, Ski Country communications director Jennifer Rudolph said. Vail Resorts operates Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone ski areas.

Colorado Ski Country member resorts alone saw 7.1 million skier visits during the 2013-14 season.

The record numbers come just two years after Colorado suffered through one of its worst seasons in history in 2011-12 — a season in which skier visits fell to their lowest numbers in 21 years because of near-record dry conditions.

Mills said her organization increased its marketing investments both domestically and internationally after the close of last season, hoping to capitalize on the first big snow that had fallen in years.

As a result, skier visits rose across the board from Coloradans, from destination visitors throughout the U.S. and from international visitors, she said.

Specifically, Colorado resorts got a bump in residents coming from the northwest United States and from the West Coast, where snowfall conditions were abnormally low, Mills said. There also was a small dip in visitors from the Midwest, which had especially cold and snowy conditions, she said.

The record number of visitors came despite significant challenges created by the increasing traffic on Interstate 70 that likely drove down the number of visitors that could have come to many resorts, Mills said.

Colorado Ski Country officials are working with the Colorado Department of Transportation and hope to see “a more robust discussion of some limited truck restrictions on the I-70 corridor,” she said.

The new record also came during a time when Colorado was in the center of the national media eye for its legalization of retail marijuana. Colorado Ski Country armed members with facts about the law and spent a lot of time educating the public that there would be no smoking allowed on the ski slopes. In the end, officials don’t believe the law had any effect, either negative or positive, on the state, she said.

“We think the snow was the story of the season,” Mills said. “We don’t have any data on whether marijuana encouraged or discouraged visitation.”

The environazi groups sell their wilderness proposals to tourists as "Oh more ski areas yay!" ....

Its a losing battle out here quite frankly.

wildskies.com

Lifetime Membership
I am sure that the majority of what has been said plays a role, but as far as your Colorado Vacation Directory the answer is that only one person on the State Tourism Board, a former state senator from Colorado, is from NW Colorado. That Board is responsible for the directory and the majority of its members are either Denver/Boulder based or have ties to major ski areas. Now, anyone is allowed to be an advertiser and also anyone can join the Chamber of Commerce for a particular area of the state where visitor information is placed, but for a small lodge with snowmobile traffic, it can be cost prohibitive and not all that cost-effective to place those ads and join those chambers.Most of us in the snowmobile industry that have lodges are major corporations with deep pockets and marketing departments. Most of us are mom and pop operations whose fortunes ride many up and downs, but mostly the downs of snowfall. A bad snowfall season can be the ruin of many operations, so it is imperative that those of you who can continue to support your favorite local spot during the off seasons with fishing or hunting trips to ensure they can afford to stay open in the winter (winters cost a lot more to operate in both time and money). I know many places that tried and couldn't make it work over the winter.

You would think Steamboat Springs, CO near Rabbit Ears Pass would be an excellent chamber to belong to, but we have found them to be very expensive, not member friendly or at least not focused on members outside the downtown corridor. They are focused on downtown Steamboat businesses (i,e, how to increase retail sales for local stores) than on experiences that take visitors out of the downtown Steamboat area.

We look at tourism as the pie is unlimited. A lot of tourism folks in Colorado think the pie is limited and if someone is going to the boonies to snowmobile then they aren't spending money in their town or at their businesses. We really wish they would understand people are buying groceries, fuel, maybe even some lodging in their towns and exploring parts of Colorado you cannot experience solely at a ski resort or downtown. There are plenty of people who enjoy ski villages and those are their customers and maybe they do spend more money and garner more taxes overall. However, there are plenty of tourist who aren't into that and want the option to enjoy the backcountry whether on horse, snowmobile or on foot. They want access to areas that aren't overdeveloped with legions of condos and lodges and private property that restricts their access.

I can go on and on, especially on creating more wilderness areas when the forest service has the power and ability to designate its own restrictions on how a forest area gets used without having to declare it wilderness and then completely restricting the way that area can be used (i.e. no chainsaws to clear trails and kill infected trees so they don't further spread diseases/pests, no mountain bikes or snowmobiles so a person is limited to how much terrain they can see via a horse or on foot and horses which by the way a horse cause more trail damage than a snowmobiler who rides on top of the snow).

Regardless of our passions and ideology, restricting access to particular groups of outdoor lovers only causes more people to not experience the wonders God created for all of us to enjoy. Each outdoor group needs to be responsible with their use (i.e. no litering, no damaging trails etc.); but we need to allow all users access to the lands they love and the ability to enjoy them through the sport of their choice so that they grow to understand why the lands need to be protected for future generations and the importance of sharing those lands with people of diverse interests and ideologies. If you don't experience something (i.e. our unbelievably beautiful national forests) you don't understand its power and value and the need to preserve and protect it in ways that allow the most users to be able to continue enjoying them. How can someone replace the memory of seeing your fisrt elk, deer or bear or catching your first fish. Think about the memories you love most from your childhood or parenting era and most likely it is something you experienced with family and friends while in the forest or outdoors some place. It most likely isn't the fancy condo you stayed in while skiing, or restaurant where you ate a great steak one night, or the shopping trip you took. It was the neat little hot spring, the lake you hiked hours to get to to fish while attacked by mosquitoes or the great vista where you took a family photo while snowmobiling or the first bald eagle you saw in the wild with your kids or parents.

We should not be selfish and hold public lands for our own selfish uses and exclude others the opportunity to enjoy them because we are afraid of what others might do to them or afraid of losing what we have and cherish or the way we get to cherish it.

Yes. Previously to our facility being available to the public anyone could camp, but in certain situations that isn't an easy or even available option (like snowmobiling in the winter). We have opened our home, not a condo development, but one secluded cabin so people like snowmobilers from other states could see a land that was cherished and protected for over a century by the first US Forest Service personnel sent to survey the area for development. We respect our neighbors and the land. We never had any intentions to built multiple cabin developments and overcrowd the area. We are responsible and respective landowners in this area and we intent to continue to protect it.

However, protecting doesn't mean hoarding it all for yourself and never allowing anyone else to have access to it. Responsible protection means education and exploration for how can anyone else value what you value if you never allow them the means to experience the value of it themselves. I believe loving the land means serving it. And part of serving is sharing it with others and doing your part to instill in them the same love and respect you have for the land. Yes, everyone wants fresh untracked powder to themselves every time they go snowmobiling; however, the smaller the group that experiences it, the smaller the group available to protect it.

The GEMS Wilderness folks have been after our area too to restrict it so there is no snowmobiling. Would our small contingent of local landowners, most of us second homeowners, be able to fend off such a strong group funded and/or supported by billionaires such as Colorado US Congressman Jared Polis? Of course not. However, with enough advocates throughout the US that are willing to put in the time and effort to raise a strong enough grass efforts campaign, our area could be spared when the time comes which it may sooner rather than later. Do you think snowmobilers who have never been to our area and don't have a clue where it is located would bother to spend their time advocating for our little neck of the woods? Not likely and certainly not as avidly as those that have been, have seen and experienced the value of preserving our corner of Colorado.

We at Wild Skies hope that everyone who experiences our neck of the woods isn't there just for wanton self indulgence, but takes away with them the need to support, protect and teach others the need to contribute to the existence of such wild and wonderous places. It doesn't mean everyone needs to protect Colorado, but hopefully they join their state associations and maybe even support legal defense funds etc that work to protect what they value so it will be around for their children and future generations of outdoorsmen/women to enjoy.

Sincerely,
Wild Skies Cabin Rentals

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I would also add that I find Colorado more snowmobile friendly because the places I go in CO are not as busy as places I have been to in Wyoming and Montana. So no need to promote sledding as far as I am concerned.

Where are these secret spots in Colorado you go to? Anywhere I've ever been thats worth a trip to you have to be in the parking lot before 7:00am if you want to have any hope of parking a 4 place trailer there. Also, the reason that you have things like Rampart Range, 4 mile, etc in Colorado is because the local users promote it. Thats one of the biggest problems with snowmobiling in this state. You don't promote it, it gets shut in so the *** hat ski crowd has yet another area thats theirs they won't use. Look at what is happening with Left Hand Canyon right now. The communists USFS management in the Boulder ranger district used the fires in 2012 to shut that entire trail system down, the local riders have been promoting and parternering and I think there is a very good chance it will be opened back up sometime in the hopefully not so distant future. What I am getting at is, there is strength in numbers, and unfortunately, there just aren't that many snowmobilers in this state compared with other outdoor recreationists .... So that makes it that much harder for us, and thats why we HAVE to promote it.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I don't think they are secret, just no parking lots or marked/groomed trails

How is promoting snowmobiling going to make areas less busy?

If you don't see the strength in numbers you aren't paying attention, thats about as plain and simple as I can possibly make that statement.

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
If you don't see the strength in numbers you aren't paying attention, thats about as plain and simple as I can possibly make that statement.

It is pretty common knowledge that the motorized crowd does not get as organized and involved in policy decisions as enviromental and other groups. So I am not sure how much just increasing the numbers of snowmobilers will help in the fight to keep areas open. I think getting currrent snowmobilers more involved would better fix and then if the snowmobile climate improves, the numberss will increase.

But personally, I would rather see less sleds out there than more.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Where are these secret spots in Colorado you go to? Anywhere I've ever been thats worth a trip to you have to be in the parking lot before 7:00am if you want to have any hope of parking a 4 place trailer there.

I almost never pull a trailer anymore, sled deck or just one per truck bed. The good spot around here means a nasty steep rutted muddy winding FS road for a good five miles. We never get started before 9, my riding buddies are a little slow in the morning. One or two Saturdays a season the lot fills up. Most days it is our 4-5 trucks and that is it. My honey hole also happens to be well worth it too. This is one of the side benefits of living in the middle of some pretty epic country. The drawback being, severely diminished earning power...

Also, the reason that you have things like Rampart Range, 4 mile, etc in Colorado is because the local users promote it. Thats one of the biggest problems with snowmobiling in this state. You don't promote it, it gets shut in so the *** hat ski crowd has yet another area thats theirs they won't use.

^^^THIS^^^ is TRUTH like you rarely see it here. You do have to use it or lose it. When fighting the greenies I made sure to include "historic use" photos in the clubs land use comment. I had pictures from 10-12 years back. The greenies argument was that only recently we could access these areas. I proved we had been accessing them for years. I even rode an old wedge Polaris back in there and took pics to prove my point, we had been riding it for a looong time.

I won that small battle. We didn't lose a square inch of land. In the same plan revision my neighbors to the south were not so luck and they (we) lost almost 40k acres to new Wilderness designation.

This is my argument for riding closed areas, to show use. At some point, by doing so you force the authorities to act. Enforcement is ridiculously expensive these days and unlikely to be effective anyway, and they know this. The other option is to re-open areas which fixes one side of the PR problem and the enforcement problem all at once. Let the non motorized crowd lose some exclusive rights for once.

Premium Features