• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Back in the Game, what to get what to avoid

J
Nov 11, 2013
I know this has been asked before, and Ive read those threads but some of them are pretty dated.
Im moving back to the west after being gone for the last 12 years. Needless to say Ive missed a lot of snowmobile advancement. When I left the 1997-2000 700RMK was about the best thing going. Im a mechanic by trade and worked for an arctic cat dealer for some time so I definately plan on buying used and I am buying 3 sleds so not looking to spend a ton on one sled.
My question is what sleds were the lemons of the last decade that I should avoid?
What were the best of the same time frame?
I plan on spending no more than $3200 per sled complete cost (no matter if that is purchase price or purchase price plus mods)
Im not worried about being the highest on the hill or having the most power, just want reliable sleds and have the option to mod one of them.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I know this has been asked before, and Ive read those threads but some of them are pretty dated.
Im moving back to the west after being gone for the last 12 years. Needless to say Ive missed a lot of snowmobile advancement. When I left the 1997-2000 700RMK was about the best thing going. Im a mechanic by trade and worked for an arctic cat dealer for some time so I definately plan on buying used and I am buying 3 sleds so not looking to spend a ton on one sled.
My question is what sleds were the lemons of the last decade that I should avoid?
What were the best of the same time frame?
I plan on spending no more than $3200 per sled complete cost (no matter if that is purchase price or purchase price plus mods)
Im not worried about being the highest on the hill or having the most power, just want reliable sleds and have the option to mod one of them.

Not to be a pain, but this is the PRO RMK section you will have a hard time finding a PRO within your budget. You might do better in one of the other sections on this forum.

J
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, I realize that the new sleds are outside the range. My thinking was that posting in the older ranges would only get me info on that range of sleds while posting here would get me people who have riding experiences from all the years

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
You may be able to find an AC M7 in that price range, possible a 2007 Polaris RMK 600/700 with higher mileage, all very reliable machines.......M7 won't have reverse

You did not state what kind of riding you intend to do?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
IMO Polaris 700's or M8's at that price point. Both are really capable and will get you transitioned into the "newer" chassis.

J
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I will be living back at the base of the bighorns in Wyoming. Mostly off trail riding, small cornice hopping and small hill climbs. The bighorns have some larger hillclimbs but nothing too serious.

J
Nov 11, 2013
Looks like pretty much any year Polaris 700 or M8? Is the newer the year the better the technology with those two models or has there been some setback years

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
With the M8's yes, I defer to Polaris experts for the 700's. I rode with guys on 700 Dragons (I believe) in 08-09 and they were great sleds!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
For that price range, I agree that the 07+ 700RMK or M7/M8 are good choices. In 2010 the M8 got a significant power boost.
For something just a little cheaper I always found the late model REV 800's to be well rounded machines, and 600RMK are peppy light machines

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
I would agree with what others have said... A poo 700, except the 2006, and cat m7-m8 are good choices. Both are dependable and good handling machines.

Polaris Dragon models had WE air shocks that are known to loose charge.

The M series were a little stiff riding for most, but there were simple mods a person could do to remedy this. M7 didn't come with reverse... 07&08 M8's had mechanical 09+ had engine reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J
Nov 11, 2013
I've seen the reverse reference a lot. Is it an actual useful tool for getting unstuck or just backing out of the lineup at the lodge?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Why do you want to buy three cheaper sleds? Are they for family members? I'd rather buy a new Pro for $10k than three cheap sleds. But I get it if you have others to get on the snow.

K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I've seen the reverse reference a lot. Is it an actual useful tool for getting unstuck or just backing out of the lineup at the lodge?

It is absolutely useless at getting unstuck. Only useful for unloading and the odd time going down I steep incline where you can lock up the brake hit reverse and hit the throttle to stop or slow down enough to regain control

J
Nov 11, 2013
Why do you want to buy three cheaper sleds? Are they for family members? I'd rather buy a new Pro for $10k than three cheap sleds. But I get it if you have others to get on the snow.

Getting the whole family outfitted. I still have my trailer (kept it for quads) so just buying 3 sleds, and three sets of gear. I'm not sure they will be super into it even, but I hope so. If all goes well I will probably upgrade to new or at least very nearly new sleds next year or the year after.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
agree with others on 6 and 700 IQs avoid 900s and probably dragon 800s
(of course my dragon 800 was a great sled:face-icon-small-dis)
i've heard good things about m7 and m8s
and revs are a good option also

welcome back to the most awesome stupidest sport ever :face-icon-small-ton
let it snow

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Getting the whole family outfitted. I still have my trailer (kept it for quads) so just buying 3 sleds, and three sets of gear. I'm not sure they will be super into it even, but I hope so. If all goes well I will probably upgrade to new or at least very nearly new sleds next year or the year after.

If you're not sure they're going to be into it and you know that you are; maybe buy yourself a newer or new model and rent for the family a couple times to test the waters the first year. Keep an eye on the swap meet on here and also Craigslist for quality used gear. There are a lot of people who have to get the latest stuff and sell their perfectly good gear cheap.

Also, stay away from Doo 1000cc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Premium Features