• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

133 to 136

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have been looking for a xtra 10 136 for a 92 indy that I am building for my son. I can't find one around here but I found a really nice 133 for cheap. Can I just set it back 1.5" to achieve the same thing as a 136. I already have a 133 track so I am not sure that the 136 idea would be much difference and would be worth buying a different track. Would it.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
How much lug are you planning to install?

I don't care for the Xtra-10 suspension as it is heavy and coupled so it keeps the front end slammed all the time. I would look for an Xtra-lite skid if you are set on going with the 136" track. I put a 133 x 1.5 factory track on my 440 SKS and it made a big difference.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think they started installing the Xtra-Lite in about 2000 in various models and most ended up with them prior to going to the Edge chassis. I'm not so sure that the Xtra-Lite and the Edge suspension aren't all that different with just more travel in the Edge setup.

I would suggest the X-Lite so that you aren't getting it too jacked up in the rear like an Edge setup might do. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but the pre-set caster in the trailing arms makes the thing steer funny. With the shallower rear end with the X-Lite, it should be a nice upgrade without getting crazy.

I put an Xtra-10 in a '94 XLT with a 136 x 1.75. It hooked ok, but steered badly and gave no ski lift when playing around. I then road a 2000 700 RMK with the Xtra-Lite and laughed all day as fun as that sled was to lift the front end up over things under power.

Last edited:

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
I did a set back when I set up a 90 indy for my kids. I used the stock suspension for a sks, put on a 136 with 1.25 lug. The sled works really well with a light rider.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
If you are mountain riding go with the extra lite and if you are trail riding go with the extra 10 its heavier but rides better and if your kid likes to jump it handles the beating a lot better. I put an extra light in my wedge chassis and never really liked it for anything besides the weight savings. I had to modify the rear torque arm a bit to make it stand up better and it always had to much ski pressure so the sled turned way too hard. Now my edge chassis uses basically the same rear suspension and the Iq chasis is dang close to the extra light also so there are plenty of suspensions out there.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Fix it guy
do you remember how much you set it back. I have a great deal on a xtra 10 133 that is in really nice shape so thats the one I am going to get. I have a stock 133 track already but it's only a 1" lug but it will do for now. If I decide to go with a 136 track in the future I will set it back.
The sled will be for trails and off trail lake riding so the weight isn't that big of a deal. Knowing my kid he will beat that suspension hard so I definetly want to go with the stronger one.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if you like a lite front end you can remove the coupling blocks in the rear, simple as that. one thing i hate about the x-lite is the kick-up in the end of the rails, but i guess thats better for poser wheelies too.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
The Xtra 10 133 1/2" suspension mounts further forward than your stock suspension (13/16" as I recall - I think that I still have measurements out in my shop if you need them) and the rear had to be relocated also. To change from a 133 1/2" to 136 is only 2 1/2" or a movement of 1 1/4" of the whole suspension. I am not sure what that shift will do to the handling of the machine. I have swapped both 133 1/2" and 136"into older Indy's and I used the stock track with each swap. There is the possibility that you may have enough adjustment to put a 136" track into a 133 1/2" suspension without have to shift the whole thing back but in this situation you're going to have to relocate all of the mounting plates just to do a same track length swap and you won't know until you get the suspension in if you have enough adjustment left. I'd just do the 133 1/2" track and go for a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" paddle track.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks. I just found a 121 out of a 98 xc for a super deal and will be buying it. I will take the stock measurements from the xc as the suspension is still in the sled. That way it will be where it is supposed to be. I can then but a rail extention for length I need and things will work out. I didn't want to go the extention route because of the cost issue but I got this 121 at such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. Thanks for all the help guys.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
Pretty sure that all three Xtra 10s mounting locations are in different locations and I'm not sure how the 121" suspension will work if extended. If I were you I'd pick up the 133 1/2" that you mentioned originally. Good possibility that you would end up with enough adjustment to go with a 136" track later and you could measure that after you put your 133 1/2" back in.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
nice. i guess from reading on here that the xc skid transfers weight easier, maybe somethin like a x-lite ? might work good for ya, might hinder climbing abilities later with the shorter lengthening abilities n all.

Premium Features