• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the new 2014 YamaCat...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Honestly I feel like yamaha has really given up. . . The only thing yamaha about the new viper is the engine and clutchs and the fancy tcl brace. The rest is all cat.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I think it's awesome. So it isn't a "new" chassis. Who cares. It is a proven chassis that is going to work well. I like the fact that it isn't a rear exhaust exit. I hope that Yamaha designed all of the plastics and that they have the normal Yamaha fit we are used to. The cat was kind of lacking in that department.

Yamaha did something really out of the box. How can you not applaud that from a company that everyone complains won't do anything outside of the box.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Looks like some weight savings to be had with the exhaust can.
side-exhaust.png

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With the Viper, Yammi avoids a tariff on an imported assembled vehicle, and avoids the R&D on a chassis. AC keeps the boosted OEM exclusive in their chassis, at least for 14, and AC will get to license Yammi's DI in their 2 strokes. Yammi dealers must be all smiles right now, don't know how the AC dealers are gonna react, but they probably want DI badly. Yammi dealers are gonna sell alotta Vipers this year. They are teaming up to both take trail sled marketshare from doo, plain and simple. That's their real target.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Looking at this as a strictly 2014 Model Year Release.... EPIC FAIL

The future potential could be staggering, but we've been saying that about Yamaha for YEARS.

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
So yamaha is using a cat chasis and cat is using a yamaha motor the only difference besides color will be one is built in japan and the other in minn. It comes down to who has the best quality control, very intresting.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not sure how that AC chain case will hold up to turbo power ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Side exit exhaust
The exhaust exits out the belly on the SR Vipers. The unique chassis layout allows the exhaust to exit the back of the engine, have the 3-into-1 manifold cooled by snow kicked up through a hole in the tunnel and then bring the pipe back to the muffler in a traditional configuration. The end result is mass centralization, excellent handling and consistent performance.

Sounds like it was cut right from a new 2014 brochure???? :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
Bla Bla bla where is the mountain sled? Why would I by a cat It will be outdated next year I just sold my nytro to heavy for the NW. Looks like It will be a doo for me next year so sad I so want to buy a new Yamaha But not will ing to put another 10-20 g into another sled only to sell it for nothing. I love yamaha but for the short term this piises me off. I will never own a junker polaris pissed at cat my M8 just busted the crank with 800 miles on it so I guess I am going to Go ride a doo for a few years.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
So yamaha is using a cat chasis and cat is using a yamaha motor the only difference besides color will be one is built in japan and the other in minn. It comes down to who has the best quality control, very intresting.

It sounds like they will both be built in the cat plant, Yamaha will just supply them the motors.

S

SnoDay

Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota

The Yamaha's in the Cat chassis will be built in MN not Japan. The motors will be built wherever Yamaha is currently building them.

"In addition to expanding the engine supply agreement with Yamaha, Arctic Cat also has expanded a co-branding agreement to build select Yamaha snowmobiles in Arctic Cat’s Thief River Falls, Minn., factory according to Yamaha’s specifications."

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/02/20/2507352/arctic-cat-announces-engine-and.html

H
Dec 4, 2007
NW
I think this is great news. It keeps both companies in the business and together they will be very strong. Yamaha has one of the best motors and electrical than anyone but lacking in the chassis. So, why not just use the AC chassis. This is no different then what is happening in the auto industry. Mfg are being bought by other mfgs. Using same chassis with different body or using other peoples motors. It's kind of the way of the future with companies doing this due to economic changes.
Also Yamaha has been building DI 2 strokes in the marine world for quite along time and are very reliable.

I'm sure there will be quite a few people adding turbos and long tracking this sled next season. I am predicting you will see a few custom builds at next years Snow shows. Plus, it's great news for the people who make aftermarket cat chassis parts!

Now, it would be cool to see the Yamaha in the AC wildcat give the RZR some competition.

Last edited:
Premium Features