• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the new 2014 YamaCat...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So.
After months and months of intense speculation, today all the rumors were laid bare.

Yamaha and Arctic Cat are in bed with each other, just as suspected.

The "Spy Photos" of what looked like a new Arctic Cat with Yamaha graphics all over it, turned out to be just that. A new Cat with Yamaha Graphics.

While we all get over the shock and let-down of NOT seeing anything new for the mountain segment, no one has asked the most obvious question of all.

Will this new business relationship bring us a BETTER MOUNTAIN SLED in 2015?

I think everyone here pretty much agrees that the Nytro has outlived it's original design longevity and desperately needs to be updated in a MAJOR way.

A few weeks ago I got to participate as one of the test riders in the 2013 SnoWest Deep Powder Challenge, which does NOT include Yamaha 4-stroke Sleds (as the mag doesn't feel they are able to compete against any of the 800cc 2-strokes)

Having been given the opportunity to ride the new Polaris, Ski-Doo and Cat, I cast my vote for the Cat as the best all around sled. This was a REAL SURPRISE for me as I went in fully expecting the new Polaris Pro to win.

With that day's ride in mind, maybe, just maybe, this new union of Arctic Cat and Yamaha will result in a winning combination of ergonomics, dependability and power..:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modeloverview/cat/2014/61/model_overview.aspx

<table id="MasterTemplate__PageTemplate_cphCenterContent_SpecsContent_tblSpecs" class="SpecList" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="specMSRPtitle" valign="top" width="25%">MSRP*</td><td class="spectext" valign="top" width="75%">$12,999 (Yamaha Blue) Available from October 2013
$12,999 (Heat Red) Available from October 2013
</td></tr><tr><td class="specCatSpacer" colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="specheader">Engine</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Type</td><td class="specvalue">4-stroke / 3-cyl / 1049cc</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Engine Class</td><td class="specvalue">High Performance Genesis</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Clutch</td><td class="specvalue">YVXC</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Fuel Delivery</td><td class="specvalue">3 x 41mm fuel injection</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Fuel Capacity</td><td class="specvalue">10.6 gal (40L)</td></tr><tr><td class="specCatSpacer" colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="specheader">Chassis</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Front Suspension</td><td class="specvalue">SRV</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Front Shocks</td><td class="specvalue">Fox ® FLOAT® 2</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Front Travel</td><td class="specvalue">10 in (254mm)</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Rear Suspension</td><td class="specvalue">Dual Shock SR 141</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Rear Shock(s)</td><td class="specvalue">Fox ® Zero Pro®/ Fox® FLOAT® 2</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Rear Travel</td><td class="specvalue">14.5 in (368mm)</td></tr><tr><td class="specCatSpacer" colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="specheader">Dimensions</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Track / W X L X H</td><td class="specvalue">15 x 141 x 1.6 in</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Track Type</td><td class="specvalue">Camoplast® Cobra®</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Ski Stance (ctr to ctr)</td><td class="specvalue">42-43 in (1067-1092mm) adjustable</td></tr><tr><td class="specCatSpacer" colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="specheader">Features</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Electric Start</td><td class="specvalue">Standard</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Reverse</td><td class="specvalue">Push Button</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">DC Output</td><td class="specvalue">Automotive</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Heated seat</td><td class="specvalue">Accessory</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Color (s)</td><td class="specvalue">Yamaha Blue, Heat Red</td></tr><tr><td class="speccategoryvalue">Warranty</td><td class="specvalue">1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Although I am not crazy about loosing a chassis manufacturer, I am impressed that Cat has found a way to increase their production without increasing their sales. In this time where jobs are flying off shore, Cat will be increasing shifts, if not hiring more workers.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
so once again bng's, just on someone elses sled:) they really do stay true to form, "just wait until next year"...

well the merger certainly can't hurt yami, at least now they can be in the 800 shootout!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Agreed.
I would certainly THINK they will be IN the Deep Powder Challenge next year!

If they come out with a 6-8psi OEM boosted MTX next year it should be plenty competitive against any other 800cc 2 stroke.

simplypete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2009
Personally I hope they are exploring the snow bike segment a bit more seriously. I feel sled design is driving all the sleds to a slimmer, more powerful design. I'd love to have a 800 cc super paddle "bike" that feels and rides like a motorcycle. Complete with a twist throttle instead of a thumb flipper. I always think of the Honda three wheelers when flipping the flapper and shifting all my weight when occasionally riding groomed trail.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Baby steps. This is the first step toward some great things. Next year, 2015....look for a different engine configuration, boost, long tracks etc from Yamaha. Cat will get the Yamaha engine (new one) in 2015 and hopefully the clutching package too.

People get so caught up in my brand, or your brand. This union will help us all have better snowmobiles, no matter the color. It should cut production and tooling costs too, I only hope the manufacturers pass those along.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Baby steps. This is the first step toward some great things. Next year, 2015....look for a different engine configuration, boost, long tracks etc from Yamaha. Cat will get the Yamaha engine (new one) in 2015 and hopefully the clutching package too.

People get so caught up in my brand, or your brand. This union will help us all have better snowmobiles, no matter the color. It should cut production and tooling costs too, I only hope the manufacturers pass those along.
Agreed.
In the long run "I" think this will be a positive step for all of us Yamaha true believers!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Check out the skid. That's basically the same skid they offered in 05 on the M series, torsion springs Really? Pretty high tech, LOL. Just wait til 2015 blah blah blah, too late to the party there fellas, they needed a mountain sled this year. I'm sure someone will spend a zillion $$ stretching this out etc but to what end.

M5

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Lets see what yamaha did under the hood to get the nytro motor in there? Come on chris you have to have pics of that.

I also think there is more to come. . . Why would have they stopped there. Also why the hood louvers with no intercooler. COME ON.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
MAybe I am a dreamer. . . But do you think it is possble that cat cornered yamaha by giving them the chassis and is going to use the nytro motor with a turbo and didn't allow yamaha to turbo the viper? Now I am really interested to see what cat is getting from this deal.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Also I may be over analyzing the pics. . .But that blue viper has a exhaust flange like the cat 1100 does inside the mag side panel window.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
MAybe I am a dreamer. . . But do you think it is possble that cat cornered yamaha by giving them the chassis and is going to use the nytro motor with a turbo and didn't allow yamaha to turbo the viper? Now I am really interested to see what cat is getting from this deal.
Can't confirm this.
But..
I was told the reason we do not have OEM boost is EPA.
And that the EPA issue will be resolved this year and that will allow the boosted sleds to be released as 2015 units.

Supposedly they could release them in Canada now, but they didn't think that would go over well in the market...

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE

Agreed. Cat has offer a turbo option FROM THE FACTORY from the past two years. They certainly aren't going to stop this year. I can almost guarantee Cat won't stop the M8 either. So if Yamaha is making boosted 4's and reliable 2's, why wouldn't they stick them in the Yamacat and also demand a mountain chassis in return? In my eyes this was a horrible move for Yamaha and they are getting f'ed over.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The steel tube is visible in all 4 images.

I would say this is likely because these photos are cats with the 1100 in them not the nytro motor just used for pics.

Possibly cat will have the nytro engine boosted for this year in all chassis. I am happy with my 1100.

I am really excited to see how the nytro motor fits in there. It appears tunnel exhaust is gone. . . So how in the world are they getting the exhuast to the side of the sled? I think we need underhood pics.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
Side exit exhaust
The exhaust exits out the belly on the SR Vipers. The unique chassis layout allows the exhaust to exit the back of the engine, have the 3-into-1 manifold cooled by snow kicked up through a hole in the tunnel and then bring the pipe back to the muffler in a traditional configuration. The end result is mass centralization, excellent handling and consistent performance.

Premium Features