• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Horns Avalanche Buried - VERY LUCKY

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Interesting

FYI. Prepare for an onslaught of criticism, judgements, and commentary...

This video could and should be submitted as a learning tool for exactly what not to do on the mountain. Not only from the perspective of basic avalanche safety, but from the perspective of people's mentality when on the mountain. These guys all seem like intelligent, reasonable, human beings. I like the lessons learned portion, although there are some major ones that were missed. I hope that other than actually buying avalanche gear, these guys all take a class, as it is worthless unless you know how to use it. Glad everyone is okay.

Edit: Moderator, this should REALLY be posted in the avalanche safety section!!!!

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sounds like Trennis's voice narrating.

That dude that got run over at :42 seconds...WTF was he thinking? He just totally got plowed over. I hope he was OK.

On the AVY:

WOW, so many things to learn from in that vid.
How ironic was it that the camera guy said that "if it avalanched..." and then it broke before he could finish his sentence. CRAZY!!!

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
WOW!!! and they have seen that hill slide before and knew the mistakes they were making while they were making them. Just one of the many groups out there that dont have a clue.

Glad everyone was alright.

D
Nov 27, 2007
Good thing everyone survived but god dang I never seen so much crashing. Have you guys considering attending duke1n U?

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just thankful they were ok. Wasn't not
Posted to bust people balls and say they need ridin lessons. They know how to ride. I agree wasn't a smart idea to ride on hill multiple people and not everyone has act gear. They need it! Be safe guys! Friends don't let friends ride without beacons.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just thankful they were ok. Wasn't not
Posted to bust people balls and say they need ridin lessons. They know how to ride. I agree wasn't a smart idea to ride on hill multiple people and not everyone has act gear. They need it! Be safe guys! Friends don't let friends ride without beacons.

Friends don't have friends that ride without beacons. LOL

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
Very cool and informative video, everyone can say it all they like, you guys know you were careless and you took the time to make this video and give others the reminder that it is life and death out there. beacon, shovel, and probe are life lines for your friends. i didnt really see why that guy was laughing at the fact that he had never had them.

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Wow! Those guys really really need to take some avy training! All that equipment they are talking about getting isn't worth a thing if you don't train that thing you use to carry a helmet! Cannot believe how lucky they were!

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Those guys definitely rode the short bus to school. All they learned is that they need some gear and only one guy on the hill? Come on, how about the 3-4 guys standing at the bottom of the slide zone? How about the fact that they have radios and video cameras and are climbing one of very few avalanche prone spots in the bighorns without the simplest thing like a shovel. Quit trying to be movie stars and start learning to appreciate and respect the backcountry we all ride in! If I was the guy that had the slide hit me under those circumstances, everyone of those guys would have had black eyes for letting stupidity happen. You could see multiple trigger points on that hill in the first climb up were he rolls it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Wow that's creepy how that guy called the avalanche right before it happened.

Glad it turned out alright. But come on, you guys shouldn't even have the privilege of riding in the hills if you don't have even the most basic safety gear.

And it seems you guys have a few years of experience under your belts?

S

schmeric

Nov 28, 2007
Is that the hill that is on the North trail that runs between Bearlodge and high country about 5 miles from high country?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Is that the hill that is on the North trail that runs between Bearlodge and high country about 5 miles from high country?

Yes it is. Ive seen a lot of already occurred slides on that part of the hill. Almost every time I'm there. Its one of those hills i just choose to stay off of due to that. Its a pretty fun climb to the right of the trees a bit though, pretty rocky, but when the snows deep its pretty challenging on a stocker.

I

insomniac62

Nov 19, 2010
Aberdeen, SD
Was there last winter...was seconds away from climbing it....

A friend of mine whom was Was borrowing my wife's sled let the air out of the fox floats and at that point found out my pump leaked...

We ran back to fill them with air, when we returned it had slid...
I don't remember hearing about anyone being buried but at times I still think, what if he hadn't let the air out of those shocks? What if my pump hadn't leaked? What if I had made that slide?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Friends don't have friends that ride without beacons. LOL

Not for long anyway. Seriously lucky. Terrain trap, and he just happen to get popped up out of it!? That happens like once, ever, in the history of time.
:jaw:Talk about an eye opener for those guys, and hopefully anyone else with similar backcountry antics.
Thanks for posting though. Most of us have done stupid chit at one time or another.

Premium Features