• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear bumper strengthening insert

I have searched and searched for the diameter (od) that ppl are using to slide inside of the carbon fiber rear bumper to add strength... As I am out of the country at the moment and new sled is on order.. I wanna also order some 6061 tubing that I'll cut down and add when I'm home! Also probably gonna cnc a bracket or two for gas cans... So if you have the tunnel measurements also, I could draw something up lol...

Thx,
J

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
The tube is 1 1/8"
sledpics005.jpg

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
Do these have problems breaking!? Only thing I know is they are slick when you have wet gloves trying to pull em out!

R
I have searched and searched for the diameter (od) that ppl are using to slide inside of the carbon fiber rear bumper to add strength... As I am out of the country at the moment and new sled is on order.. I wanna also order some 6061 tubing that I'll cut down and add when I'm home! Also probably gonna cnc a bracket or two for gas cans... So if you have the tunnel measurements also, I could draw something up lol...

Thx,
J

i can tell u that the tube is 16.5" long and the brackets are 3/8" thick,all i did was remove the carbon fiber and installed the same size aluminum in and powder coated it.Put the caps back on to finish it off.

bumper.jpg

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
I was thinking about getting a pieace of aluminum tubing with all the same dimensions of the carbon fiber one, maybe a bit thicker, put some knurling on it for grip and then switching them. I've got to imagine any machine shop could do this for you relatively cheap. Any thoughts on this?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
That's a good option as well. If I was going to spend any real money, I'd just buy an aftermarket bumper. The side pieces are the next weak link.

I was thinking about getting a pieace of aluminum tubing with all the same dimensions of the carbon fiber one, maybe a bit thicker, put some knurling on it for grip and then switching them. I've got to imagine any machine shop could do this for you relatively cheap. Any thoughts on this?

I had considered doing this, have access to a machine shop, or buying one for about 30 bucks... On another thread somewhere here... But I want the stock look so... Still going with 6061-T6

There are a number of places to get this stuff online... Some cheaper than others, only some carry the thicker stuff though..

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=6998&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
How do y'all break the rear bumpers so easily? I've only broke one in like 5 sleds an that was a freak wheelie over accident haha

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
the 2 my buddies have broke were both from backing into trees. a piece of 1 1/4 outside diameter tube fits right in its place. you have to hog out the inside of the ends if you want the endcaps to fit...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Holz makes a nice replacement tube. Black, knurled. Ready to go. Right around $40 if I remember correctly. Caps fit REALLY tight.

T

tlm700

Dec 30, 2007
moses lake wa.
my choice

heres my choice of bumper upgrade,just got rid of my m-800 and think this was the only good feature of that sled, other than the track!! bought the bumper for $20.00 at the puyallup snow show.

P1030757.jpg P1030762.jpg P1030758.jpg

Last edited:
G

GREICO1

Apr 12, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Call JT Sports in Montana. he has replacement bumpers and inserts to fit the carbon tube on the pro. $20-$35.

jtpanels.com

Premium Features