• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Yamaha Nytro MTX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
img.jpg

img.jpg

img.jpg

img.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<table id="MasterTemplate__PageTemplate_cphCenterContent_FeaturesContent_tblFeatures" align="Center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="featureheader">Performance</td> </tr><tr> <td class="featuretext">
  • High Performance 4-stroke engine
    The over-achieving High Performance engine is the heart of our lightweight, high performance and aggressive FX Nytro model family. It has dominated its class at the Old Forge Shoot-Out 2 years straight, claiming top speed twice and posting the best average ET over 4 runs down the ¼-mile track.
  • Advanced fuel injection
    The High Performance engine uses Yamaha’s advanced fuel injection system to control fuel flow to the engine. Consumers will enjoy the engine’s spot-on performance and throttle response as a result of the advanced electronic fuel injection system.
  • Engine braking reduction system
    The High Performance engine features the unique Engine Braking Reduction System. The system allows a small amount of air to pass through the fuel injection system when the throttle is released, giving riders a “coast” feeling.
  • Lightweight rear-exiting exhaust
    The patented rear exit design serves many performance-enhancing functions on the FX Nytro MTX 162. First, it maximizes horsepower by using a straight exhaust pipe design. Second, it reduces the amount of under-hood heat produced. Third, the rear-exiting design distributes weight to contribute to the excellent balance of the sled.
  • Forced air radiator ducting
    The FX Nytro MTX 162’s airflow design pulls fresh air in from around the headlight and forces it through the radiator fins for high cooling capacity, resulting in consistent engine performance even in low-snow conditions.
  • New! 15 x 162 x 2.25-inch Single-ply Ascent™ track
    The new Ascent mountain track was designed to get on plane quicker in powder and be durable enough to handle the high horsepower of a boosted sled. This was achieved by strengthening the bottom 2/3 of the lug for acceleration, while leaving the top 1/3 elastic to be able to curve and provide lift. The 15x162x2.25-inch track features a 3-inch pitch to allow more snow to pack in between the lugs for a firmer grip on the snow.
  • New! single-piece extrovert drive sprockets
    Churning the track is a pair of new single-piece extrovert drive sprockets. The engineering teams purpose-built these sprockets to work with the Ascent™ track, reduce weight from the previous sprockets, and decrease vibration.
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="featureheader"> Handling</td> </tr><tr> <td class="featuretext">
  • FXG2 front suspension geometry
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 features the acclaimed FX Nytro front suspension with more trail and relaxed caster for greater deep snow handling and side hilling ability. The sway bar was also removed to enhance handling in steep, mountainous regions.
  • New! Camoplast MT9 Ski
    The new skis have great deep snow flotation and cut 1.8 lbs off from the previous design.
  • FX™ chassis with sport rider-forward position
    The compact design puts the engine down low and back in the chassis, leaving the top of the cab open for airflow. This gives the FX Nytro MTX 162 a very centralized mass. The FX Nytro MTX 162’s sport rider-forward ergonomic design puts the rider in an aggressive, yet comfortable, forward posture.
  • Tall, wide, hooked mountain handlebars
    To match the tall and forward position, a single-piece, dual-hooked handlebar is standard fare on the FX Nytro MTX 162. The hooks have the same grip material as the main bar section, for consistent control, regardless of hand position on the grip. Mountain riders will appreciate the center grab strap when it’s time for sidehilling.
  • Composite upper skeleton
    The headlight assembly and upper portion of the Nytro MTX 162 is supported by a super-lightweight composite framework. By using a rugged, high tech composite material as the structure for the top portion of the sled, Yamaha engineers were able to keep the mass centered low and deep in the chassis.
  • Lightweight tunnel
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 features a lightweight tunnel design. With the runningboards tipped up at an aggressive 11-degree angle, the FX Nytro MTX 162 delivers big ground clearance for deep snow capability. The design also features large snow evacuation and boot gripper punch outs.
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="featureheader"> Comfort</td> </tr><tr> <td class="featuretext">
  • ProMountain® Air rear suspension
    The Nytro MTX 162 is equipped with a totally redesigned rear suspension. In a joint effort, Yamaha co-developed this suspension with Fox to make it the best suspension for any mountain rider. It is equipped with a Fox® Float™ 2 and Fox® Float™ XV shock that boost this suspension to a whole another level. This combined with a new shallow approach angle, a semi coupled design, and new lightweight rails, make this one suspension you don’t want to mess with.
  • Fox® FLOAT™ 2 front shocks
    Fox® FLOAT™ 2 shocks use an air spring designed to force the piston to rebound. This eliminates the need for steel coil springs. They cut three pounds off the sled’s overall weight, as compared to traditional coil over springs. They are individually tunable by using a pocket-sized air pump, which comes with the sled, so consumers will be able to set the front suspension up to their liking.
  • Wide runningboards with traction
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 is all about fun and handling. As a result, the runningboards are nice and wide and loaded with traction. Riders will be able to put their feet anywhere on the runningboards and have confidence in their traction. This allows the rider to move around and really enjoy the full fun of a lightweight sled.
  • Wheels with removable bearings
    Replaceable bearing wheels makes maintenance easy and cheap, while the 6 spoke design adds to the visual appeal of the already super cool looking Nytro MTX 162. This design is implemented on all rear wheels.
  • New sculpted narrow seat
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 has a narrow seat for comfort. In addition to putting the rider in a tall, forward, attack posture, the seat’s height makes it plush and comfortable for a full day of riding. The narrow seat sits atop the beveled tunnel, which allows the track to be a traditional 15 inches wide, to maximize traction. In addition, a new seat cover material has been incorporated this year for added comfort and durability. The seat foam has been improved as well with anti-sagging properties.
  • Concentrated hand warmers
    These hand warmers have a concentrated element design, which focuses the heat in the middle of the grip material. The result is a warm grip for your hand’s most comfortable riding position. In addition, an insulator is placed between the heating element and handlebar to retain heat longer and more efficiently than previous designs.
  • Standard electric start
    Yamaha’s electric starter system allows consumers to fire up their Nytro MTX 162 with the turn of a key. There is no pulling on a nylon cord to get this high-tech engine growling! Electric start is a standard feature on all of Yamaha’s 4-stroke machines.
  • Digital gauge
    The digital gauge displays key information at a glance. Vehicle speed is displayed on a large LCD readout. In addition, the rider can select tachometer, odometer or tripmeter data to appear on secondary readout. The gauge also displays system warning lights, fuel level, and warmer intensity.
  • Standard mechanical reverse
    The Nytro MTX 162’s simple reverse system allows riders to back out of tight spaces hassle-free. It’s engaged with the lever located on the right shroud. Just pull out the lever and slide it to the right for quick and easy use.
  • Quick-release, single-piece hood/console shroud
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 has a single-piece hood and console shroud. The design allows owners to open and close the top portion of the sled easily with Dzus® quick-connect fasteners.
  • New graphic packages
    The FX Nytro MTX 162 comes in two graphic packages; Yamaha blue/white as well as Yamaha black. These awesome designs produce one of the best looking sleds on the snow.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<table id="MasterTemplate__PageTemplate_cphCenterContent_SpecsContent_tblSpecs" align="Center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="spectitle" style="width: 200px;" valign="top">MSRP*</td><td class="spectext" style="width: 400px;" valign="top">$12,899 (Yamaha Blue) Available from July, 2011
$12,899 (Yamaha Black) Available from July, 2011
</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="specheader" colspan="2">Engine</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Type / Displacement / cc</td><td class="spectext">4-Stroke, 1049cc</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Cylinders</td><td class="spectext">Three</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Cooling</td><td class="spectext">Liquid</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Bore & Stroke / mm</td><td class="spectext">82.0 X 66.2</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Intake Design</td><td class="spectext">2 Valves</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Ignition</td><td class="spectext">Digital T.C.I. with throttle position sensor</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Fuel Delivery</td><td class="spectext">41mm fuel injection</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Exhaust</td><td class="spectext">2 valves, rear exhaust</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Clutch / Transmission</td><td class="spectext">YVXC, variable ratio</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Disc. Brake Type</td><td class="spectext">4-piston hydraulic w/ lightweight ventilated disc</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
blank.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="specheader" colspan="2">Chassis</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Front Suspension</td><td class="spectext">FXG2</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Front Shocks</td><td class="spectext">Fox® FLOAT® 2</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Front Travel / in.</td><td class="spectext">8.5 in</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Ski Type</td><td class="spectext">MT-9 mountain ski</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Carbide Ski Runners</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Stabilizer Bar</td><td class="spectext">N/A</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Rear Suspension</td><td class="spectext">ProMountain® Air 162</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Rear Shocks</td><td class="spectext">Fox® FLOAT® 2/ FLOAT® 2 XV</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Rear Travel / in.</td><td class="spectext">15.0 in</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Track Type</td><td class="spectext">Single Ply Ascent</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
blank.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="specheader" colspan="2">Dimensions</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Overall Length / in.</td><td class="spectext">131.5 in </td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Overall Height / in.</td><td class="spectext">47.0 in</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Track/Width x Length x Height / in.</td><td class="spectext">15 in X 162 in X 2.25 in</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Ski Stance (ctr. to ctr.) in.</td><td class="spectext">40.7 in</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Fuel Capacity / Gal.</td><td class="spectext">7.4 gal</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Fuel Type</td><td class="spectext">Regular Unleaded</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Oil Capacity / Qts.</td><td class="spectext">3, Dry Sump</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Engine Oil Type</td><td class="spectext">Yamalube 4, 0w-30, Cold Weather Formula</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
blank.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="specheader" colspan="2">Features</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Electric Start</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Reverse</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Hand & Thumb Warmers</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Windshield Height</td><td class="spectext">Low</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Mirrors</td><td class="spectext">Optional</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Seating Capacity</td><td class="spectext">One</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Backrest</td><td class="spectext">N/A</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Rear Carrier Rack</td><td class="spectext">N/A</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Tow Hitch</td><td class="spectext">N/A</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Tunnel Protectors</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Headlight Watts, Type</td><td class="spectext">60/55W Halogen x 2</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">High Beam Indicator</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Oil & Temp Light</td><td class="spectext">Standard</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Fuel Gauge Type</td><td class="spectext">Electric (LCD), low fuel warning light</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Speedometer</td><td class="spectext">Standard (LCD, digital)</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Odometer</td><td class="spectext">Standard (large LCD display)</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Tripmeter</td><td class="spectext">Standard, backlit (LCD)</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Tachometer</td><td class="spectext">Standard, backlit (LCD)</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">DC Outlet</td><td class="spectext">Automotive</td> </tr><tr> <td colspan="2">
line.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="spectitle">Warranty</td><td class="spectext">1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)</td></tr></tbody></table>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They dropped the Special Edition
No mention of Factory Turbo or Supercharger
No mention of Factory lightweight rear suspension
No mention of any significant weight reduction

Gift_Of_Disapointment.jpg

Well, I suppose its not all bad news.
Looks like I will be keeping my 2010 and just upgrading it rather than trading it in and starting over a new sled this summer.

Last edited:
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
i called it i knew there wouldnt be anything new. thats good let everyone get ticked off and go buy other brands. let them go experience the dissapiontment of 2 stroke failure. :D

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hhmf

The only two things worth mentioning in all that crap is:

The Ascent Track....... dual durometer lugged track??????
.................................but why only 2.25 lug?????????

Camoplast Ski???????????? that's interesting??

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Maybe the little bird was telling you about stuff 2 years away instead of this year?!

1500 for boost but you still have to pay the install on it. My wife is happy she loves her Apex and I love my Nytro. My only complaint with the nytro is the 7.4gal fuel tank I am always out out fuel before her apex is. Think I will find a hold over and have it boosted or order one will have to copare the price difference, and let my daughter move up to the stock Nytro from her Phazer mtx

1500 for boost but you have to pay to have it installed. My wife is happy she loves her Apex MTX and I love my Nytro MTX. I will be ordering one with boost. Then move my daughter up to the stock Nytro from her Phazer MTX. The only compliant I have with the Nytro is the 7.4 gal fuel tank. My Nytro is always out of fuel when the Apex has 4 bars left. Need an 11 gallon tank so I can play all day

NytroNorm

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Stoon, SK
I love these threads, everybody is so disappointed! Get your head out of the clouds!

When was the last time Yamaha did something cool? Uh never, why would they start now.

Im impressed, they actually addressed three major complaints. Track,skis, and handwarmers. Should have happened in 08 but you can't expect too much from yamaha other than a bulletproof motor.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I love these threads, everybody is so disappointed! Get your head out of the clouds!

When was the last time Yamaha did something cool? Uh never, why would they start now.

Im impressed, they actually addressed three major complaints. Track,skis, and handwarmers. Should have happened in 08 but you can't expect too much from yamaha other than a bulletproof motor.

hand warmers, and skiis dont sell sleds...

However, it is interesting that they doubled down on the boost thing though....I think that is cool...just wish they would do a better turbo option than the current one...that guy @ Push is slammed now, would imagine it will be a majority of sleds sold this year that have boost with it only being a $1500 option...

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
So do you order the base sled and then when it comes in you get the boost for $1500 or do you have to commit to the boost when you order the sled?? There were a lot of things I enjoyed about my stock Nytro, just too many things to change to get it where it should have been from the factory. Even my Nytro with the MCX kit was fun but still had to stick too many extras in to get it to where it should be. Love the way the Nytro handles but was really hoping for some more ponies in stock form.

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Redonkuless

FA for changes no more weight shaved and they hang Canada out to dry again no $1500 boost deal if any boost from Yamaha and still think they are worth $15,800.00 here. . They can't even come up with a picture of the sled with this new track and seat for release. Budget blown on EPS i guess.

Premium Features