• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Muff Pot/Hot Dogger mounting locations on M

S

shaneo11

Jan 14, 2008
The Dalles
As stated before I think the muffpot seals up better. Mine is mounted on my SLP can and is at about a 30 degree angle and nothing ever leaks out of it.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
So what's better the hot dogger or the muff pot? Seems like they would both leak if sled was put on it's side.

I had the HotDogger to start with. It's much smaller than the MuffPot. The concept of it was nice, but I needed the room for more food. I cook for the hubby and myself. I was really limited with the HotDogger on what would fit in....and even for me that doesn't eat as much, it was kind of small.

It also does seal better. I *may* have had my sled on it's side a few times. :face-icon-small-sho

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
For those mounting it after your Y pipe and always cracking/breaking the chinese aluminum bases...

Well went ahead and made my own out of steel. The steel is a bit thinner gauge than the aluminum it replaces, but MUCH stronger. I got a 4x2 plate of steel at a local metal shop for $20. Will be able to make a bunch of these now if I want.

I drilled out the rivets on the clamp down plates (3/16" bit). Took the original Hot Pot base and hammered it flat for a template. Cut out the steel template with a jig saw and cleaned up the edges with a die grinder sanding disc. Bent the tabs on the new steel plate. Drilled out new rivet holes with a 3/16" bit. Then riveted back on the clamping plates. Took a cutoff to the backside of the rivets to make them more flush. Attached the clamps back on. Then painted to prevent rust.

If it weighs more than the aluminum one that was on it, then it's minimal at best. You can use the same hot pot template for the muff pot (I have both) and just extend the clamping side heights (cause the muff pot canister is taller than the hot pot canister). The base is just a tad bigger on the hot pot over the muff pot. Or you can just use the muff pot base as a template too.

Will put some miles on this and see how it holds up. I'm guessing it won't crack like the aluminum was doing all the time. And can clamp it down with a lot of force now.

IMG_20101213_140936.jpg

IMG_20101213_142744.jpg

IMG_20101213_142755.jpg

Could be a bit more "purty", but it did only take me 30 min of my life...

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
i put mine on my actuall pipe...i used the cut out of the shield mounting area to attach my hotdogger...that doesn't sound right, however your heat shield on your pipe is two pieces...where these two pc are connected from the factory is a band that goes around the pipe...i used this ban to attach my hot dogger...i used this area so that way it wouldn't slide down the smaller part of the pipe..it has no where to go...granted i don't stick liquid in my hotdogger, so im not worried about it dripping out...

usually i cook some germans with jalapanoe's and cheese or burritoes or hot pockets...i try to buy the hot pockets in the wrapper and just throw the thing in there with the wrapper attached...it works great...

DSC00882.JPG DSC00883.JPG DSC00884.JPG

L
Dec 7, 2010
high country cooking

mine sits well on top of the can on my m~1000 &right after the y~pipe on my wifes m~8 but everybody needs to try oven roasting bags inside the muffpot no leaks no burns not even with spagetti try it you'll be amazed

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
mine sits well on top of the can on my m~1000 &right after the y~pipe on my wifes m~8 but everybody needs to try oven roasting bags inside the muffpot no leaks no burns not even with spagetti try it you'll be amazed

yep, they are really good with costco meatballs and whatever sauce of your choice...sweet and sour, etc..

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
Muff pot mounting location

Does the muff pot get hot on the can of the M1000? I have mine on the bend in the pipe just before it goes into the stock can. Only problem is it leaks all over my can even using oven bags. Wasn’t sure if the can would heat it up very well. Thanks

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Does the muff pot get hot on the can of the M1000? I have mine on the bend in the pipe just before it goes into the stock can. Only problem is it leaks all over my can even using oven bags. Wasn’t sure if the can would heat it up very well. Thanks
My 09 m8, stock can, could cook food in less than 30min.
Riveted the mounting plate right on top of the can. Use steel rivets.

Premium Features