• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

133 to 136

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
The offset axle kits for 8" idler wheels move the axle up so the bottom of the idler wheels line up properly with the hy-fax, and they move the axle foreward so the track still fits. So in short no, a big wheel kit won't let you change to 136 track.

From what I have read, you can turn an offset axle around backwards and go from a 136 to a 141, but that is way to much extension for what you need (unless you want to move your skid back 1.25" and run a 141 track).

There are only 2 ways I know of you can run a 136 track on that skid. The more conventional way would be to move the skid back 1.25" and put the other track on. Another way you could do it would be to use Avid bolt on 8" idler wheel offset adapters (so in a way, the answer to your question would actually be yes, you can use a big wheel kit if you use this big wheel kit).

To use these bolt on adapters you have to cut to top half of your axle slot loops off even with the tops of the rails and bolt the adapters to the tops of the rails (have to drill holes in the rails). I used a pair of these on an xtra lite skid, but someone had cut the backs of the axle slot loops off to put extensions on it that weren't designed for it. To make it useable I would have had to had some welding work done on it, and I wanted to use 8" idlers anyway so I just cut more of the axle loop off and bolted on the Avid adapters. They work great, and they could be positioned to give you the extension you need for the 136 track but you have to butcher your rails to use them. Personally I think I would just move the skid back since you have to pull it to change the track anyway.

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=104

Last edited:
S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I would recommend that you check to see how much adjustment you still have with your 133.5 inch track because I had a 1990 Indy Trail SKS that I was able to put a 136 inch track on without changing anything except for the track.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I second that...

I would recommend that you check to see how much adjustment you still have with your 133.5 inch track because I had a 1990 Indy Trail SKS that I was able to put a 136 inch track on without changing anything except for the track.

I would do this first then if you need more length I would move the suspension back the additional amount you need to take up.

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
How much room do you have in the rail slots to move the axle back? Every 1" of axle movement will take up 2" of track, so you need 1.25" of adjustment to go from 133.5 to 136.

A big wheel kit will take up more track too. For example 1" bigger rear idler diameter will take up roughly 1.5" of track. 2" bigger wheels would take up 3" of track.

edit: didn't mean to contradict skis_n_skid comment above, but if you use an offset axle for bigger wheels and leave it in the original location in the rail slots it will take up extra track per my ratio above

Last edited:
S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
An offset axle to go from 6.5" idlers to 8" idlers moves the axle up .75" and forward 1.25". That is the offset needed to make the swap without changing track size. If you turn it around backwards, that would be like a 2.5" extension for a 5" increase in track length (you could go from 136 to 141).

If you had an offset axle that just moved the axle up .75" and not forward, then it would be perfect for going from 133.5 to 136. The problem is, I don't think anyone makes anything like that. You can't run larger idlers with the axle in the stock location because the bottoms of the idlers cannot be below the bottoms of the hy-faxes.

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
My MMP relocation axle (2 wheel inside kit) moves the axle up for 8" wheels but you can slide it back and forth wherever you want in the rail slots. I can run 137 to 141 with 8" wheels by flipping it around to maximize travel in each direction, although I did have to file out the end of the rail slot to get it back far enough for 141.

MMP reloc (5).jpg MMP reloc (7).jpg MMP reloc (8).jpg MMP reloc (9).jpg

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
My MMP relocation axle (2 wheel inside kit) moves the axle up for 8" wheels but you can slide it back and forth wherever you want in the rail slots. I can run 137 to 141 with 8" wheels by flipping it around to maximize travel in each direction, although I did have to file out the end of the rail slot to get it back far enough for 141.

The offset axle in those pics only gives enough vertical offset for a 1/2" increase in idler wheel diameter. If stock idlers for that skid are 6.5 you can increase to 7" idlers with that axle. With 7" idlers adjusted all the way back it might work for running a 136 on a 133.5 set up without moving the skid, but it won't give the full 1.25 extension.

If you put 8" idlers on rails that use 6.5" stock idlers using that axle, the bottom of the idlers would be way below the bottoms of the hy-faxes. They would get destroyed on no time.

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
^ Fair enough, don't mean to mis-lead anyone. Pics are from my Skidoo XP which had 7.25 idlers stock.

My point to the OP is there are options with axle adjustment, offset axles, idler diameter, etc to fit a slightly longer track without having to do a skid setback.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
^ Fair enough, don't mean to mis-lead anyone. Pics are from my Skidoo XP which had 7.25 idlers stock.

My point to the OP is there are options with axle adjustment, offset axles, idler diameter, etc to fit a slightly longer track without having to do a skid setback.

Oh I see, so that axle gives you up to 3/8" vertical offset? So one could go from 6.5 to 7.25 with that axle? Yes, your point is valid with that type of offset axle, with 7.25 idlers (or even 7" idlers) it might very well be enough to take up the slack.

Offset axles for changing from 6.5" to 8" idlers are completely different though. The part that goes into the axle slot is square. It moves the axle up .75" (above the axle slot) and either forward 1.25" or back 1.25" depending on whether you install it normally or backward.

Last edited:
R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
Oh I see, so that axle gives you up to 3/8" vertical offset? So one could go from 6.5 to 7.25 with that axle? Yes, your point is valid with that type of offset axle, with 7.25 idlers (or even 7" idlers) it might very well be enough to take up the slack.

Offset axles for changing from 6.5" to 8" idlers are completely different though. The part that goes into the axle slot is square. It moves the axle up .75" (above the axle slot) and either forward 1.25" or back 1.25" depending on whether you install it normally or backward.

Correct, the MMP relocate axle I have gives 3/8" vertical offset so 6.5 to 7.25 idler swap should work. By my calcs this would take up 1.125" extra track, so OP would only need 0.6875" rear adjustment in the slots to fit 136.

Note the 7.25 rear idlers have been standad on Doo's for years now and there would be lots available used. Bearings may need to be changed to get the right I.D. for the axle, plus not sure the MMP axle fits the Polaris slots.

And thanks for clarifying - I wasn't aware the larger offset axles were different design :beer;

Premium Features