• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trimming Rails?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
So, if I install a anti-stab kit (such as SLP's) and replace the limiter strap cross shaft, can I trim the rail tips back quite aways and not re-install the black plastic tips?
If I can get away with out having to remove the suspension I'd be really stoked!

Thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Pulling the suspension is SUPER EASY.

Dont try to do this with the skid in the sled.

The ONLY reason to trim the rails is if you are running Combo drivers (Avid, Wahl).

Are you running combo style drivers?

What is your reason for trimming the rails back?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Yup, I've got Avid 8 tooth 3.0 extro's. Done a lot of work to the sled lately to fit my new 174x3 didn't feel like dropping the susp to add the anti stab. Plus the Anti Stab kit looks like it can be installed easily with the skid in.. Can I leave the black caps off the front of the rails with out any issues

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
I couldnt imagine putting a anti stab set of rollers in while strill in the chassis. I have done 3 of them. Pull it would be my recomendation for what is is worth. Also how the heck did you get the front bolts in without trimming the tips? I put the plastic tips back on the 3 I did.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
I've set the skid back 2" and down .75 Yes, I have trimmed the rails 1" already and with the skid fully extended the tips hit the extros, looks like I'll need another .500" just to clear! Okay, so it looks like I'll need to pull the skid arrrgggh! Has anybody trimmed the rails back to the cross shaft and left the black caps off? Maybe 45 degreed the bottom corner of the rail?????

I'll try to post some pics of the Dragon Slayer!!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I'm pretty sure you'll be pulling the skid when you put the new 174 in.....or am I missing something here? Takes 10 minutes to pull the skid. :beer;

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Yeah, I think you guys are right... The skid should come out to do it correctly, what's another ten minutes and a 6 pack of suds!

The track is already in along with the suspension when I noticed that the rails hit the drivers, cool huh?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Actually the rail extension is only about 7.5" center to center. Same as going from 136 to 151 or 144 to 159. Been done many times. It looks as though most mfg's used .50 thick Aluminum and I used .625".. So I believe we should be golden.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Here's what I did for my edge

DSCN3015.jpg

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
skibreeze, looks good! Did you relocate your limiter strap cross bar? Or is that the original location?

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
xring60

Did you get the new extended chain cast from AVID to run the 174x3 ? If so, I would like to hear how it installed and fit? Thanks

btw..I would remove the skid to trim, much easier. Here is a picture of my trimmed rails.
55.jpg

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Yeah, bought his extended chaincase.

Installing the chaincase isn't too bad. There is a fair amount of trimming and cutting that needs to be done but all in all its pretty basic... I'll try to get some pics up soon.

M

matt

Nov 26, 2007
Southern Maine
www.myspace.com
xring-
you can trim the rails to the crosshaft and still use the caps. just use the crosshaft bolts. you will need to trim the caps up, though. i would still use the anti stab kit though.

ryde-
where'd you get those rail caps?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Thanks for all the great info guys! Here's a couple of pictures..The right footwell gets trimmed pretty agressively. (weight loss)

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
xring-
you can trim the rails to the crosshaft and still use the caps. just use the crosshaft bolts. you will need to trim the caps up, though. i would still use the anti stab kit though.

ryde-
where'd you get those rail caps?

If you are talking to me, those are stock one's trimmed down with a grinder.

Premium Features