• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skids for a turbo yammie!

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
Whats a good lite weight skid for a boosted apex? I was thinking of timber skid, but ppl tell me there weak. Lets hear some feed back.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Buy the Racers Edge kit for your stock skid

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you are on a tight budget a take-off Float Cat skid from 08/09 would be a cheap option and they work quite well. It's not a M10 but its way better than anything Yamaha makes and you should be able to get one in the $800-900 range. You need to really ask yourself what kind of riding do you want to do?

M5

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Here is the Racers Edge arm in my kids sled. It's strong, light, and works great.

vent kit and Racers Edge 005.jpg

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Whats a good lite weight skid for a boosted apex? I was thinking of timber skid, but ppl tell me there weak. Lets hear some feed back.

Stop in at Macs and have a look at the redesigned M10, great skid too IMO.
At least local for you. :beer;

J
Nov 27, 2007
skid

I run the timber sled skid with Ice age rails in my sled. it works very well. The only complaint I have with it is its a little soft for my weight. 250lbs dry.
The best suspension is probably cr m10. but expensive. the other one you should look at is simmons suspension being sold threw mpi. very trick and work very well for only 2400 us.
I dont think the racers edge kit would be worth the money as the most important thing you can do is get rid of the tiped up rails. if you are on a budget call ice age and get flat rails for your stock skid or look for a take out cat skid. just my 2 pennies.

just looked on mpis web site and they dont show it, It was advertised in the last snow west mag so they must not have updated the web site yet.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I was at MPI a few weeks ago and saw the Val Simmons skid that MPI sells. Very nice all billet design. Its a 3 shock design. Havent used is though.

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
You can put the racers edge skid into the straight ice age rails. Just make sure they are the stock mounting point rails not the timbersled/stock combo. I also heard that racers edge had ice age making rails just for there skid but you would have to check with Darryll on that. A buddy just picked his up last week and i'm sure that what he told me.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
what are you planning to do with youre sled ? theres lots of skids that work great on almost every thing but the steepest of hills . if you dont need to climb every thing a cheeper lighter skid could be the way to go . if youre going to climb get an M10 of some sort or the baker skid .

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
what are you planning to do with youre sled ? theres lots of skids that work great on almost every thing but the steepest of hills . if you dont need to climb every thing a cheeper lighter skid could be the way to go . if youre going to climb get an M10 of some sort or the baker skid .

main reason is for weight savings, and i do like to climb. may look at the baker skid.

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
You can put the racers edge skid into the straight ice age rails. Just make sure they are the stock mounting point rails not the timbersled/stock combo. I also heard that racers edge had ice age making rails just for there skid but you would have to check with Darryll on that. A buddy just picked his up last week and i'm sure that what he told me.

They will now work for the timbersled/stock combo rails. they had so many coming in Lance made it work.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Timbersled is not a weak skid...like all, it has to be tuned...I have had it on my sled for two years now, and like Julio, have played with pressure in shocks quite a bit, but once dialed, it is killer...

I hammer it pretty hard...if I cant destroy it, it is pretty decent!!!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
main reason is for weight savings, and i do like to climb. may look at the baker skid.

You'd enjoy it, it not only controls the front end, its a great riding skid. It seems pretty strong, I put one through the paces Yamafest weekend.

:beer;:beer;, AA

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Not trying to steal the thread but what do you guys think of the new redesigned skid for the 2010 nytro is going to be like under boost?? They say the diff attack angle will help out a great deal.
T

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
They will now work for the timbersled/stock combo rails. they had so many coming in Lance made it work.

Right on, thanks for the info i haven't talked to them since they did mine in june. Lance had to do a lot of machining and grinding to get mine to work with those combo rails. He did a awsome job, just took extra time...and maybe a few choice words.:D:D

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i have the cat skid in my nytro it works good but that was on a stock sled still tranfers to much on the steep stuff so iam putting bakers shock & arm on the cat skid so now i have a light skid that works like a m-10 best of both worlds & you could probably do it for less than a m-10.
Picture171.jpg

Premium Features