• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 Polaris RMK 800

P
Feb 20, 2008
I am trading my 2005 Honda CR250 dirt bike for a Polaris 2005 RMK 800 159 with 1500 miles. Any know issues with these sleds. Sled will be for my wife and also a buddy sled......

I have a 2005 Rev. So I am not up on the RMK's but I hear they are decent sleds?

I will actually see the sled in person on Sunday. Here is what the previous owner said....

"The sled only has a few scratches on the right side of the fairing. It runs great, the usual things that go wrong with this model RMK 800; water pump belt, bent steering pole and really crappy stock skis, has all been taken care of.

3m13p63lcZZZZZZZZZ923f7f5e12e36a418fd.jpg

Thanks....

Last edited:
J
Dec 2, 2007
North Idaho
nice sled

All in All the 800 edge is a solid sled.
They did have crankshaft issues, most have been fitted with a big bearing on the pto side to fix this. Will probably want to do this upgrade if it hasn't been done.
I am on my second 800 gen2 first then edge, cranks have been done on both of them. But overall very reliable. Broke the crank on my first one, it still ran and got me out of the trees back to the road. I am very confident in its reliability.:beer;

C
Jan 8, 2005
Calgary
I have an 04 with the same miles. It has been a solid sled without problems so far. At 1500 miles the water pump belt is to be inspected & replaced if below spec, easier to replace it while your in there. No steering post problems for me but I'm not a jumper.

Overall with 2 stroke sleds you never really know how good or bad they are unless you completely tear them down. A friend of mine bought a Yamaha that dropped a piston, cracked the engine case after the previous owner had no problems with it. My cousin recently called me to tell me the 03 Summit 800 he bought is mint, clean & well looked after. He also is needing a rebuild because his crank packed it in. Both times I heard the same story about how good the individual sled is. You never really know, it could run problem free for years or crater the next day.

BTW your picture is of a 2004 RMK, not an "05, they were primarily red (hood) in color not red/silver.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Yep looks like an 04 for sure, might want to get that cleared with the owner if he told you it was an 05. I have heard many people having crank issues with them but my 02 Vertical Edge with full SLP mods went 2200 miles with no problems before I sold it and my 03 Vertical Escape will full SLP mods went 2800 miles with no problems before I sold it so you might luck out. Very good chassis, what other mods have been done or is it stock?

P
Feb 20, 2008
Nelson you are right. It is a 2004. Car Guy the water pump belt was replaced on ride ago and the owner gave me an extra belt....

Jmgsnowman what does it take to do the bearing upgrade?

Only mods are:

SLP twin pipes and can
Ice Scratchers
6" risers
After market steering post
Simmons Skis

1489 miles....

rmk.png

Thanks guys.....

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Motor needs to be pulled and crank seperated from the cases. You will need to send the crank off were they will need to pull the crank apart to replace with wide bearings. SLP does the bearing upgrade or you can send it off to Indydan. You might as well relace the pistons also if you are going to do the upgrade.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Good sled. If I were me I would probably just ride it. With 1500 miles if it was going to have problems they would have happened by now. If you decide to do the bottom end, I would recommend Indy Dan's bottom end. It comes with a 3 year warranty and a new clutch for $1395 IIRC. Also look up his post crankin my 900. He posts his recommendation on oils. Basically no sythetic. Only mineral based oils.

Just my $.02

Good luck.

P
Feb 20, 2008
Nelson thanks for the info..... Sod I always run Motul 800 2 storke oil in all my dirt bikes and sleds. So far, so good.... But I agree with you. I will run it until it does not run anymore........ Sell the RMK cheap and buy a new XP and give my wife my REV..... LOL

Thank you everyone that has posted. I am sure the RMK will make a great sled for my wife ......and my buddies... (wink...wink)

Premium Features