• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any 09 Xp's blowing belts???

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Yup.

My riding partner, on an '09 154 blew a 377 at around 160 miles. BUT, the belt had basically NO break-in, being hammered on from day one, and his clickers were on #3, engine turning up 8700. After he blew his belt, I asked him what rpm he has been running, and after he said about 8700, I asked him if he tried bringing down his rpm with the clickers. He just gave me a blank stare... :rolleyes: So, after a 5 minute TRA class on the mountain, showing him how to adjust the clickers for rpm, I think he is good. His sled is hitting right at 8100-8200 right now in #1. We will see how his next 377 lasts...

Time will tell. :D

O

overboard

2 in ~ 100 miles.
Two issues:
1. Apparently some of the new bushings (spring cap & other) in primary are out of tolerance. This is what they are replacing on mine - albeit the part numbers are the same - my dealer referred to them as "updated" bushings.
(more of just a loss of direction from BRP on what to do I believe).
2. Alignment. On a clutch that theoretically cannot be aligned I believe that there are some that are misaligned and causing a problem. I am taking it upon myself to align it - probably have to pull the lhs rear mount and machine the hole to allow movement.

my 2 cents worth anyhow........

I'll see tomorow after they replace the bushings whether I'll be getting 2 new belts on warranty.........

Truckeedoo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Truckee,CA
8700 rpms, holy wow, I just got back from a ride in Truckee on my 08, I had to switch clickers to 4 and still can't get to 8000, this is with the gear change and all 11 million 08 updates.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
2 in ~ 100 miles.
Two issues:
1. Apparently some of the new bushings (spring cap & other) in primary are out of tolerance. This is what they are replacing on mine - albeit the part numbers are the same - my dealer referred to them as "updated" bushings.
(more of just a loss of direction from BRP on what to do I believe).
2. Alignment. On a clutch that theoretically cannot be aligned I believe that there are some that are misaligned and causing a problem. I am taking it upon myself to align it - probably have to pull the lhs rear mount and machine the hole to allow movement.

my 2 cents worth anyhow........

I'll see tomorow after they replace the bushings whether I'll be getting 2 new belts on warranty.........

I drilled mine on the sled with secondary clutch in place. It was scary but best update done on my sled. 08 154, 6 belts before 1000 kms and now the next 1500 on the same belt. It still looks great.

ps you need a very long 1/2" drill bit. I used an old wood auger, it cut fast.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
I can't believe he even got to 8700 RPM's...my rev limiter kicks in at 8500-8550.

8700rpm...HIS story. I didn't ride it. But he DID say that it was running "wierd" at w.o. throttle. I asked him if it felt like it was hitting the rev limiter, and with another strange look of realization, he said - "Uh....YEAH!!"

With my '08 in clicker #3 when I had stock clutching, I could hit 8500-8600 easy, but that was on the tach, so who knows how accurate it really is....

Oh, and for what it's worth, we ride from sea-level to 3000', so maybe that has some bearing on the power output and clutching, compared to some of you guys that ride much higher...

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I drilled mine on the sled with secondary clutch in place. It was scary but best update done on my sled. 08 154, 6 belts before 1000 kms and now the next 1500 on the same belt. It still looks great.

ps you need a very long 1/2" drill bit. I used an old wood auger, it cut fast.

Used a die grinder on mine everything in order now. Don't take this belt issue, take it back until its right. Its the only way to get the message home.

09 xp800 X 377 belt

my first one blew at 30kms, second one is starting to fray @400km's, first belt i heat cycled it 3 times, second belt 10 times atleast, and on the second belt I've been stopping every 10 or so mins of riding to cool both clutches at least to the point where i can hold them for 5 seconds. first skidoo i've owned but this machine doesn't seem like a functioning machine the way it is. I'd like to be able to ride for more than 5 minutes without heatsoaking the clutch springs and messing up the rpms. and blowing belts.
guy i ride with has gone through 2 belts and he's at 160km's

i took mine to the dealer to get it checked out and get a new belt, they checked alignment and said it was good. they said there might be oil residue left on the clutches. so they cleaned them and gave it back. clutches are still burning hot after 1-2 mins of riding in pow or 3-4 mins on trails.
not happy at all...

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
When you guys are modifying your motor mounts what X&Y specs are you trying to achieve? X=36.4mm rear, Y=39.4mm front for 3mm twist? I believe this is the BRP spec for the XP. Thx.

L
Nov 9, 2008
minnesota
my first belt started to fray @300 miles and i replaced it another 105 on this one riding around west yellowstone this last week on a '09 summit x 154 800. anyone else filling up the air boxes on these sleds when they are boondocking?

D
Dec 5, 2007
I haven't looked at an 09 motor mount but on the 08's you can just drill out the PTO side rear motor hanger and get much movement. It is counterbored on the backside, 26mm diameter and 1mm deep, and sits on the 24mm diameter rubber motor mount. Boring the hole from an M8 clearance hole to 1/2" isn't going to yeild much movement. I removed the mount, machined the pocket to 34mm in a 5 axis mill, and drilled the hole to about 1/2". The mag side rear mount is only slotted for right/left movement and also needs to be enlarged for full movement. No counterbore on the mag side or either front mount, just the rear PTO side.

Anyways, I was able to get the 36.4, 39.4, 21 measurements but the clutches still run hot with DJ's kit, a vent in the side panel, and a freshly broken in belt properly adjusted in my 120. I'm going to be adding many more vents....

S
Nov 26, 2007
Star Valley, Wyoming
Blew first belt today.

Blew first belt today, 6th ride about 150 miles. First 2 rides was on clicker 1 and couldn't make max rpm would only get around 7800. Clicked up to 3 and was right at 8000. The last 2 rides have been in bottomless pow pow, I've been running clicker 4 and pulling 8100-8200 all day.
Well today after a quick trail ride in we hit some big open meadows and after 10 min's the belt delaminated in one spot. Had to wait a couple minutes to change the belt because it was just to hot. I have already drilled a bunch of holes in the clutch guard, guess I'll start looking for a vent kit next. Hopefully my dealer will warranty the belt.

09 Xp 153 Stock Clutching
clicker 4
Elevation around 8000'

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Vents may help, but with good clutching you won't make as much heat. The '09 setup is geared towards road riding, not good for the deep. Alot of gains to be had in the clutches and money to be saved on belts.

M
Dec 31, 2007
Go for 40mm on the rear and at least +2 on the front. Drop your torque stop to the bottom also. A known good REV I measured was 40mm, after all they both originally come out with the same belt. Hey RED-EYE what did you eventually go with? You were going for 41mm, correct. My neighbour is also blowing belts on his 09.

Premium Features