• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Just bought a 19 mc
It came from the East and it's clutched 6-8000
I usually unload at 8500 and up
What kits work
I'm not a fan of the magnetic weights
In the future I'm thinking head and pipe so adjustable weights

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Do they even tell you the angle of the helix they are sending you? Ive ran their magnet weights, cutlers, and mds. None do any better overall than stock, at least up here. But is nice to adjust to exact weights over grinding stock weights sides to lower grams or match between weights that are off. Mds just dont work at 11k ft, but work under 10k.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
so far I like my BDX clutch kit up here on the bighorns ,pulls way better than stock ,by the way this is Kelly

Dang Kel you could of sold the cpcs back to me! Oh well. Too bad I gotta watch your drills all weekend or we could go up, supposed to snow all week.

Co2.0 I rarely get up that high, It'll be a trial thing. they didn't say what helix, but at the time I didn't know which I was looking for. I don't like the magnets either but I'll give anything a try.
I ordered the glide washers now too
Just curious where did you order the Dalton from? I see the 46 and 45 on their site but ya can't buy it there

G
Apr 8, 2010
Fargo ND
Ran factory weights that came in the sled 70 grams at 11,000 feet. Pulled 8,000 rpm in deep snow up hill. BDX head, BDX y-pipe, Bikeman can, BDX tune using Power Commander with timing advanced

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
18 Mt. Cat 162 here, I like my BDX clutch kit...curious why you don't like the magnet weights? I guess I prefer them over the Cutler adjustables that I had in my 14 proclimb. I have only ridden my Mt. Cat in the snowies. Be interesting to hear your impressions after you get it on the snow. Thanks

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I just prefer the set screw style cause you can add or subtract right through the heel with zero diss assembly.
I haven't ever used the or personally know anyone with the mag style so I only assume the bad, like if it backfires and spits the magnets off the arm? Not Shure alot of ifs and mabys

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
not going to spit the magnets out believe me ,you can change a couble of the magnets without disassembly but you still need to collapse the clutch so not quite as easy to adjust as set screw but you can more precisely place the weight where you want it

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Well didn't get any replies so I just ordered a bunch of stuff from bdx I guess I'll post if I like it

Sorry, not trying to sound like a dick, but you asked a question, waited 2 1/2 hours, got no response and just went for it? This is an amazing forum for knowledge and research, but not too many guys live on here. BDX is a reputable company for sure, but personally, I'd order from someone in the west that lives and tests here for your elevation. 4 top notch sources come to mind.

1) Cycles & Sleds in Hyde Park, talk to Collin
2) Hubbs Performance in Preston, ID talk to Kevin
3) Racin Station in Driggs, ID talk to Eric
4) Dakota Performance.

All of these guys do extensive R&D on Cats in the west at elevations that you're asking about and I don't think you'll find too many people who would disagree with their results.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Yeah it kinda seems like I jumped the gun, but I was needing something in the mail right then. It's a cheap 290 compared to many others 400 so if I don't like it I can just get something different. I was all ready ordering their TI can so when in Rome

So keep it going to give me more ideas please. Gear swaps? Belt drive ratios? Driver diameter changes, fancy clutch covers, what's everybody running lets see some live action!

I noticed on the micro finche the mc and the alpha have the same drive shaft. I wonder if I could buy some alpha drivers and run a 3.5 pitch track

Last edited:
W
Nov 29, 2014
Tried asking a similar question a few weeks ago.

Just got back from WY. Rode 8300 feet plus on stock Alpha clutching. I did bring the Cat recommended weights but never changed them. Sled got me over 11,000 feet per altimeter breaking trail thru the trees. Rode with a few new Polaris sleds and was the only one that made it to the top of that hill and the only one that could wheelie on command at higher altitudes. Saw 8150-8200 rpm on trail even at 10k feet. Hope this helps someone else.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Tried asking a similar question a few weeks ago.

Just got back from WY. Rode 8300 feet plus on stock Alpha clutching. I did bring the Cat recommended weights but never changed them. Sled got me over 11,000 feet per altimeter breaking trail thru the trees. Rode with a few new Polaris sleds and was the only one that made it to the top of that hill and the only one that could wheelie on command at higher altitudes. Saw 8150-8200 rpm on trail even at 10k feet. Hope this helps someone else.

So what was it set up for?
6-8000 like mine, but you brought the 8-10000 weights and never put them in?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Well I think I got it right on the first guess
Weights are
Heel 1-3-2-1 tip
145-290 gold spring
Glide washer

56-46 helix .46
190-260 spring

Moved the rear suspension mount to the bottom hole
Ya know I tried the three positions of the shocks it seems the lightest gets stuck less than the strongest? Maby? It's hard to tell

Runs 8100 on the trail and 78-7900 on a hill. Doesn't snap so hard off the bottom and trench, backshifts about perfect. I get stuck much less than other lighter people on other bigger brands, well here's a patriot 174 and an alpha buried right next to my tracks
picture.php

And right behind the camera
picture.php

Last edited:

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah it kinda seems like I jumped the gun, but I was needing something in the mail right then. It's a cheap 290 compared to many others 400 so if I don't like it I can just get something different. I was all ready ordering their TI can so when in Rome

So keep it going to give me more ideas please. Gear swaps? Belt drive ratios? Driver diameter changes, fancy clutch covers, what's everybody running lets see some live action!

I noticed on the micro finche the mc and the alpha have the same drive shaft. I wonder if I could buy some alpha drivers and run a 3.5 pitch track

You didn't jump the gun, our BDX kit work very well. We have 5 Alpha's in house and we spend every month in the mountains testing. The reason we have a better price than the rest is probably because we make most of the parts I house. We have a full machine shop here in house. We also think the competition simply charges too much.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
BDX clutch kits

At BDX we may be in Minnesota, but we spend test everywhere, and spend a lot of time every month in Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho.
We have 5 new Alpha's in house that we ride. Stock cylinder sleds, 900 big bores, and even a 600 turbo.

Our helixes are made right here in house. We can make any angle you want at anytime. But our helixes in the kits are marked. We found that with the new style clutches with the automatic belt deflection adjuster, the partial progressive helixes work best, verses on the 2016-17 models we use a straight angle. The stock helix is a straight 48 degree. We use a 56-46.46 helix. The 46 degree helix will have quicker backshift in deep snow. With the 2018-19 clutches, the belt ride very high in the driven clutch, and run very tight on the drive clutch. The benefit to this is it acts as a granny gear in a sense. This allows us to run the steeper 56 degree starting angle which really help low end power to the track. It simply loads the clutch hard when you first take off but then has the benefit of a straight angle for backshift.
The slightly stiffer 190-260 driven spring also helps with the throttle response in deep snow.

The stock engagement of the primary clutch it extremely low, so we do bump that up slightly with our Gold 145-290 drive spring. Engagement is still extremely smooth and almost electric feeling. We still only engage it around 3500 rpm.

Our weights are adjustable from 64-86 grams with 4 positions using magnets to keep it simple. We have been machining the weights for several years now, but this past year we actually had a mold made to make them out of powdered metal just like a stock oem weight is made. We did this for a few different reasons. One was simply to help keep up with the volume of the weights we produce. Second was to reduce the price to the consumer. We were able to reduce the price from 179 down to 149. Third is the powdered metal weight is oil impregnated. So it will lubricate the roller and the weights ramp surface. It's not as commonly used in the aftermarket because of volume and upfront costs for molds. We still machine some of the lower volume weights, but have been progressively changing to the powder metal weights for all of our brands since we do the for Cat, Polaris, Yamaha and Ski Doo. One last little update is our new bushing are a graphite impregnated high end material that is very durable.
The magnets allow you to adjust the weights in 1.3 gram increments.

So please keep our clutch kits in mind. They work. They are extremely high quality, we design them, test them, and make them.
All kits come with a set up sheet. We have already done the testing for you.

We have kit available for stock sled, pipes, big bore, turbo's and for all elevations. From Alaska, to Wyoming, to BC, to New York, to Iceland, to Europe. We have you covered. We make helixes, springs and weights thousands at time, not handfuls at a time.

Keep us in mind for clutching components too. We can make any helix angle you want, and we do it quick. We have weights available in a variety of ranges. And we have clutch springs available in a variety of versions.

Please check out the link below.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_category=317&controller=category

clutch kit arctic cat boss.jpg pro mag weights arctic cat 64-86 s.jpg

Premium Features