• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New ford 7.3L Gas!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
"there power plants haven’t been dependable since the flat head"

That's the silly part!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
"there power plants haven’t been dependable since the flat head"

That's the silly part!

If their engines have been dependable then why have there been so many.
GM had the most dependable engine with the small block and now with the LS.
Ford has changed their design so many times over the years I personally can not keep up.
They should leave to overhead cam design engine to the Germans,they can make them work dependably where chains ain’t breaking and you can drive for a few hundred thousand miles but the Fords are time bombs.
The best most dependable old Fords you ever see have Chevy transplants in them.
I know Ford didn’t take any government buy outs but Ford did support the Nazi’s...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Ford has changed their design so many times over the years I personally can not keep up.
They should leave to overhead cam design engine to the Germans,they can make them work dependably where chains ain’t breaking and you can drive for a few hundred thousand miles but the Fords are time bombs.
I know Ford didn’t take any government buy outs but Ford did support the Nazi’s...;)

That is just rediculous... Ford has been running versions of the OHC modular V8 for over 20 years now. Just because you can't keep up doesn't mean that they haven't been running a solid powerful V8 engine design for decades. Have they made several versions of the engine? Sure, just like GM has with the LS, different sizes and power levels for different applications. I have NEVER worried for one second that my cammer V8s were going to fail for any reason shy of 250k miles. I have yet to be disappointed, and I have owned more trucks than the average guy, I have bought all three brands more than once each.

At this point I am in a Ford gasser because I think the Italians have ruined Rams quality, my '15 Power Wagon was a POS. I have passed on GM since they screwed me 15 years ago on warranty work and them the government motors debacle... You can have them... Besides, what kind of clown posse runs a car suspension under the front of an HD truck, you can keep that garbage too. I run what I run because it works. Your experiences may differ but the fact is, Ford sells more trucks than anybody, and has for a long time. If the motors were crap, that simply would not be the case...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah want. Want want want.

My 6.7L cummins has been great but yeah I have been wanting a truck with a big gas motor since I traded off my 2005 2500HD with the 8.1L in 2012 :)

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
That is just rediculous... Ford has been running versions of the OHC modular V8 for over 20 years now. Just because you can't keep up doesn't mean that they haven't been running a solid powerful V8 engine design for decades. Have they made several versions of the engine? Sure, just like GM has with the LS, different sizes and power levels for different applications. I have NEVER worried for one second that my cammer V8s were going to fail for any reason shy of 250k miles. I have yet to be disappointed, and I have owned more trucks than the average guy, I have bought all three brands more than once each.

At this point I am in a Ford gasser because I think the Italians have ruined Rams quality, my '15 Power Wagon was a POS. I have passed on GM since they screwed me 15 years ago on warranty work and them the government motors debacle... You can have them... Besides, what kind of clown posse runs a car suspension under the front of an HD truck, you can keep that garbage too. I run what I run because it works. Your experiences may differ but the fact is, Ford sells more trucks than anybody, and has for a long time. If the motors were crap, that simply would not be the case...

Ford front end is tougher on the 3/4 ton and up, but they also get the death wobbles starting around 80k. So far we haven't cured the death wobbles on a pickup once they've started it.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD

8:01AM & you're already drunk posting.
I've gotta party with you sometime!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
8:01AM & you're already drunk posting.

I've gotta party with you sometime!

Yeah only thing is I haven’t had a drink in over ten years.
I have spinal cord damage and have enough problem walking without adding alcohol.
True story!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Ford death wobble ya spent 1000s trying to fix. Then a gm showed up no more death wobble.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Has Ford built a modern gas pickup engine that you can get the spark plugs out of yet? Have had good luck with the Ecoboosts performance wise, but they still like engine repairs more than a GM or Toyota 1/2 ton.

Anyone who thinks Ford has a better track record with reliable modern gas truck engines than GM is on glue. You could argue the truck as a whole for reliability....but GM builds solid V8 gas engines.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Has Ford built a modern gas pickup engine that you can get the spark plugs out of yet? Have had good luck with the Ecoboosts performance wise, but they still like engine repairs more than a GM or Toyota 1/2 ton.

Anyone who thinks Ford has a better track record with reliable modern gas truck engines than GM is on glue. You could argue the truck as a whole for reliability....but GM builds solid V8 gas engines.

Some valid points, but this thread is regarding HD, not halfers.
I stated that the Ford 6.2 or Ram 6.4 does not take a back seat to the GM 6.0
Somehow from there, the train left the tracks and before you knew it we had guys arguing about the old FLATHEADS!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Ford front end is tougher on the 3/4 ton and up, but they also get the death wobbles starting around 80k. So far we haven't cured the death wobbles on a pickup once they've started it.

Only deaath wobbles I have seen were back on second gen dodges. My '12 F250 has 130k on it, no death wobbles despite running 1000 lbs of snowplow on it in the winter.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've been running 2-3 trucks with lots of miles piled on each of them for almost 40 years, lost track exactly but about 6 were chevy, 5 were dodge, and about 30-32 were ford....why ford ?...cause they have less shop time on them, are cheaper overall to run, more dependable, and that includes about all the engine/transmissions that they put in them...there were things i liked/disliked about all of them....i have a 6.2 in my superduty now and get 12-15 for most of my driving.....with a 12k load i get 8.5-9.5 mpg, which is 1.5-2.0 less than the same truck with the diesel; doesn't have the uphill torque of the diesel obviously, and i run mostly 4/5 gear with the gasser, 5/6 with the diesel, but overall costs show the gasser cheaper to run, not even including the 9k hit up front on purchase price, although you get some back when you sell, but after 150k miles, none of them are going to be worth a lot....so i find the new gasser from ford might be exactly the bridge between diesel torque and overall cost of the gasser that i need, but like always, i'll be watching it for a year or so to see how it does in real life...:face-icon-small-sho

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Death wobble

Neighbor’s 2017 F250 crew sb 6.2 gasser 4x4 is at the dealer again trying to get the death wobble fixed. Been an ongoing thing the last month or so. He has had a F150 loaner in his driveway 3 out of 4 weeks, something like that. Said the dealer had about 12 F250 trucks in shop waiting for parts to fix the wobble but not sure on their years or other details.

I am not sure of his mileage, probably less than 36,000.

Stock wheels and tires as far as I know.

Premium Features