• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RSI Grip Heaters - Too Hot?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Has anyone had problems with RSI grip heaters getting too hot? I've usually always replaced the elements with OEM, but when I changed out bars I decided to try the RSI plug n play ones since people seem to like them. I applied them to the bars, put electrical tape over the top (tip from someone to keep from damaging the element if the grip slips), then applied weatherstrip adhesive (have always used this as grip glue), and topped it off with a set of ODI Ruffians. The first few times I tired to use the heaters on low they got hot enough that the grips started to slip. Bad enough I had to stop riding until they cooled down and the grips re-adhered to the bars. I figured it had to be the tape issue. So I stopped using them. Bought another set of elements (just in case I damaged one) and grips to re-do the grips without tape. Good thing I got the elements because they were toast! Melted the clear material, tape, and glue to the point some of it was burnt and crispy. Smelled like an electrical fire too! So after re-mounting everything new, minus the tape, I was still getting the hot, slippery grips so I finished out last season not using them.

So, now I'm not sure how to proceed in fixing it this year: try the RSI elements again without glue, or go back to OEM since I didn't seem to have a problem with them other than the typical short lifespan of 2yrs. I am running a headlight delete so maybe the grips are getting more current than a normal stock sled? I'm not burning out tail lights, fuses, or the gage cluster so I'm not inclined to think I have a voltage regulator problem, but I'm open to suggestions at this point. OEM thumb warmer is working fine.

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
I don't know about RSI but other heaters sometimes have a resistor that you use to lower the voltage. You can measure the voltage with a voltmeter, try both at idle and WOT. My problems with the AC heaters are broken cables where they attach to the tape, not melted circuits.

M800 -13, Speedwerx full exhaust, PCV. BC WT 660T -06

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Im on my 2nd set of RSI. Neither have gotten too hot to burn. But, they definitely warm up better than oem. I do have them under a layer of 3m foam though because I like a thicker grip.

I put the elements on, covered with 1 layer of elec tape, then this 3m foam tape, elec tape over that to firm it a bit, then hairspray to slide the Odi grip on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Just closing this one out. Replaced the voltage regulator last week when I had the front end all apart since it was $112 part and I was already in there. Hand warmers worked as they should this past sunday. Can't imagine the extra voltage was doing good things to the ECU or PCV either. Maybe why my PCV sticker is rippled up from what looks like excessive heat.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I also have RSI heat elements, and they got hot enough that when I pulled on my ODI grips they ripped. ODI being a stand up company sent me the shop I bought them from new grips as replacements.

I have filled my bars with spray foam, and put cork between the bars and elements.

Premium Features