• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Racking my brain with a tether issue

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Hopefully it’s safe to admit this here..but I just jumped ship from Polaris and picked up a 16 HCR. Thought my old man was going to disown me when I told him (jk, sort of).

Anyway. I love the sled so far. Defintely a learning curve to it though!

When I bought it, the stock tether wasn’t working. It was plugged in but the sled ran as normal and wouldn’t shut off when the tether was pulled. I tested the stock wiring by making a jumper wire and making contact with the two pin plug and that killed the sled. Thought to myself, order new tether switch and you’ll be all set. Then I saw the $50 price tag. Holy h*ll! The last Polaris tether I bought was $20.

I figured they’re all the same, buy a cheap tether and wire the original plug to it and you’ll be golden. So I bought a cheap $20 spi tether, crimped the stock plug to it (just to test, I’d solder it when confirmed that it works). For some reason, the sled runs with this setup only if the tether is unplugged! And dies when the tether is plugged in. Hmm..swap wires? Nope, same result. Which should be the case as it doesn’t matter which wires are connected since it just grounds out right?

So I can’t seem to figure out what my issue is? Is this tether setup to work opposite than the stock tether? Am I missing something?

If I do in fact need the cat tether switch..has anyone found a cheaper option?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
What year and model sled? Sorry, missed the 2016 HCR on first read. It has a normally open ignition. It seems you got a normally closed tether.

Last edited:

therookie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Cat tether is normally a open circuit, closed when tether is pulled off. Sounds like your tether (spi) is the opposite closed with tether on. So you need another tether. Doesnt really matter what brand as long as its for a open circuit running. Hopefully this helps

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Premium Features