• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 tether install

freak007

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Looking to install a tether on my 2010 M8 SP. I'm looking specifically at the Pro Armor and SPI tethers.

The SPI is a "plug and play" that looks very similar to the factory AC setup, and is designed to install next to the ignition switch. To prevent accidentally killing the engine while moving around, I'd prefer to mount the tether on the right side, possibly on the bars, near the throttle block. This is why I'm also considering the Pro Armor style.

The issue is, my sled is 150 miles away so I'm not sure what kind of room I have to work with. If I was to extend the wiring as needed, is there room to drill the cowl on the right side to install the AC/SPI switch? Is there room on the bars for the Pro Armor switch?

Pics would be appreciated...

Attachments

• 20181221_010136.jpg
    20181221_010136.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 30
  • pro-armor-handlebar-mount-tether-switch-3a8.jpg
    pro-armor-handlebar-mount-tether-switch-3a8.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 104

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
The SPI switch comes with plenty of wire. I don't see the point of moving it to the right side though... The tether is plenty long, and I've never unplugged mine even when hanging off the right side... ??

freak007

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
I generally prefer to tether my throttle hand as it is always on the bars, but the reality is my brake hand is rarely off the bars anyway, and with the stretch in the cord I think leaving it on the left would be fine...

I recently learned K&S sells a panel mounted normally open magnetic tether. Anyone have experience with them?

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I generally prefer to tether my throttle hand as it is always on the bars, but the reality is my brake hand is rarely off the bars anyway, and with the stretch in the cord I think leaving it on the left would be fine...

Hmm. I guess I hadn't considered tethering to my hands... I always clip it to my coat or backpack. It still pulls when I fall off, but leaves my hands free to do whatever...

Premium Features