• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying 3 mountain sleds

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
FYI - If I where buying three new mountain sleds for my crew the most important things would be:

1. Dealer support and proximity to your location. A good dealer is a huge benefit when you need support and tuning. Riding time is precious and a good dealer will minimize your downtime.

2. Buy the same make and model for all three sleds. Only having the learn tuning for one model has benefits, plus all spare parts are interchangeable.

3. The big three: AC, Ski-Doo & Polaris all offer great mountain sleds that are better stock than the mod-sleds we were building just five years ago. Really hard to make a bad choice from the current mountain sleds.

Have fun, ride safe and get some backcountry avalanche training.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I kind of like the buy one of each idea. How fun would that be? I don't see it being much more if any hassle to try them all at the same time. Then everybody and pick the one they like and next year update to the favorite/s.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
All 3 ride very differently to me. What feels great to some, feels horrible to others.

Before you buy 3 new sleds I would try to rent them all and see which one you like best. I think Togwotee rents all 3 brands?

X32

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2014
Wow amazing suggestions

Wow amazing suggestions! Got me really thinking we are going to Revelstoke next week for a week and will be renting 2019 Ski-Doo & Polaris 850s they don't have any AC and also trying to snow bikes for a day.

I do like the idea of getting all three but I rather just learn one and stick with it likely forever that's what I've done with dirt bikes, outboards, jet skis, so we can carry key parts and share if necessary. Right now I am leaning towards Ski-Doo but I do love what I hear about AC alpha-1. My-personal-experience-with-Polaris-has-been high maintenance and probably not going that direction.

I love the idea of buying sleds in the spring from dealers in areas of the country that got very little snow that is brilliant!

Thanks for everyone's input!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow amazing suggestions! Got me really thinking we are going to Revelstoke next week for a week and will be renting 2019 Ski-Doo & Polaris 850s they don't have any AC and also trying to snow bikes for a day.

I do like the idea of getting all three but I rather just learn one and stick with it likely forever that's what I've done with dirt bikes, outboards, jet skis, so we can carry key parts and share if necessary. Right now I am leaning towards Ski-Doo but I do love what I hear about AC alpha-1. My-personal-experience-with-Polaris-has-been high maintenance and probably not going that direction.

I love the idea of buying sleds in the spring from dealers in areas of the country that got very little snow that is brilliant!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Great choice rent before you buy with a couple major caveats.

An easy analogy for me is buying a TV. Going into the store and looking at several brands with same screen size. End up buying the one least price with most features is my experience. The issue is most stores do not calibrate the TV … just the factory defaults which IMHO are substandard because they don't take into effect a specifics user room , and color tint preferences.

Obviously a sled rental must maintain the sleds so they last the season.

After you buy a sled many experienced riders do modifications.

Basic modifications such as compensating for riders weight, height, strengths etc are addressed by adjusting the limiter strap, changing spring tensions , even dual springs or air adjusted shocks, handlebar height and position.

I'd take the time to see what the rental facility did to the "suspension" adjustments. Adjust the suspension for riders weight, height, strengths.

This will help you understand to how the sled was designed to be adjusted in the field.

Second or first major adjustment most experienced riders do is clutching. (I doubt a rental shop will modify clutches because the typically sell the sled based on the season and or miles) An aftermarket clutch kit allows the rider adjust the power band from how and when ( in the power band - RPM) the sled hooks up to what is an appropriate track speed given hill climbing . trees , and on the trail. There are many discussions on what clutch ramps and springs to use.

Most sleds come with a tool to adjust the secondary clutch providing optimal top end speed.

I know of only one stock sled with the ability to adjust the primary clutch easily in the field. Skidoo's PDRIVE which has the weight adjusted using "clickers"

Even then people gear down mountain sleds so the have more throttle control / finer tuned speed between clutch engagement and top RPM.

Top RPM in most 800-850 sleds are around 7900-8000 RPM.

Instead of clutch engagement at 4000 or so RPM to optimal RPM around 8000 RPM . Weights , springs and ramps are changed to lower the engagement RPM and Combined with Ramps, springs and weights top end speed decreases. Thus causing more precision in the power band because sleds speed is 0-60MPH from 3X00RPM to 8000RPM instead of 0-80MPH from 4x00RPM to 8000RPM

After these two basic "adustments"… suspension and clutching you get into the type of "tires. Track length , type , lug height are important. Some here even have various tpes of skis and change them out depending on snow conditions.

I explain it this way to a non user snowmobiler. A snow mobile is like riding a quad on sand, riding a jetski , off roading in the MOAB … it all depends on the type of snow, terrain and season.

Last edited:

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
How many sleds does Mr. Burandt have : Around a dozen with how many mechanics with direct access to Polaris technicians? How often is sled data uploaded to technicians obtaining optimal sled performance?

Yeah but you're talking about Polaris you need that many to make it through a season.:face-icon-small-hap

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Having owned all 3 brands, I would say polaris takes the most maintenance to keep it going ride yo ride, season to season. The best thing you can do is find a local dealer who will support you as s customer after the sale.

Premium Features