• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I really want to buy a snowmobile but...

P
Dec 15, 2018
Dude, rent, rent, rent. Rent some 2-up 4 stroke ski-doos, or whatever the local shops in Bozeman have. Ride them for a weekend and then decide what you want to buy.

You'll learn soooo much, just by renting sleds for a weekend. You may find that it's not at all how you dreamed it would be or you may realize you want more of a performance sled. Renting first will be your cheapest option, by far.

Oh yeah i have one rented for a forest service cabin trip soon. Bad news is its 45 degrees today wtf? So when it snows,again ill go rent a couple different kinds and see whats up. Iam just bad that way. I allways jump right in. Good advice

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The "APEX" came in several different versions. A short track 121, a longer 136 but still not really a cross over sled, and the Mountain version came as a 162. The 162 sled is a true mountain sled, and does very well, its just heavier then the 2-strokes.
Doing an oil and filter change on these sleds will take you a few hours, but only needs done once a year.
the engine will last forever, the belt and clutches are the best in the industry for wear and longevity.
The reverse "kit" would of been a factory kit, and its just linkage and an extra gear, no way to really screw it up.

There wasnt many "problems" with these sleds.... maybe some burnt out / leaking exhaust gaskets at this mileage. Steering bushings with play in them. Maybe need a new battery. The track is not hard to replace, another few hour project.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I've owned an Apex 162 Mountain sled for many, many years and it is literally bullet proof.

Yes, its heavy, yes it will get stuck if you go off trail deep enough.

I bought a highjacker snow jack and carry it on the side of the tunnel and would never leave home without it...that jack is a real back saver, especially when its just the wife and I out riding together.

I've had my kids ride two up on my Apex, my wife and I have ridden two up on it (when she loans her sled to the kids so they can ride) and it just goes and goes...it'll never wear out.

And the sound those beautiful twin exhaust tips put out..so nice. :face-icon-small-hap

Feel free to contact me if you want some more info or specifics about it...happy to help.

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
I've owned an Apex 162 Mountain sled for many, many years and it is literally bullet proof.

Yes, its heavy, yes it will get stuck if you go off trail deep enough.

I bought a highjacker snow jack and carry it on the side of the tunnel and would never leave home without it...that jack is a real back saver, especially when its just the wife and I out riding together.

I've had my kids ride two up on my Apex, my wife and I have ridden two up on it (when she loans her sled to the kids so they can ride) and it just goes and goes...it'll never wear out.

And the sound those beautiful twin exhaust tips put out..so nice. :face-icon-small-hap

Feel free to contact me if you want some more info or specifics about it...happy to help.

Thanks! Ill take you up on that offer after i get the report from the dealer i gired to check out the machine. I just dont know enough about snowmobikes to know a good or bad deal. Anyway the owners going to take it down there and i asked them to give me break down of the reoairs or updates that it needs to be safe . So well see. Hopefully its all good and for the price it seems like a fine candidate for a first machine and well honestly go a dozen times a winter if that. Thanks ill ask soon about any concerns and ill googke the jack. Sounds like something to get!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If you are going to get a High Jacker, and I would, make sure you get the original and not one of the cheaper knock offs. Apex is the way to go. Forget the RX1 or Nytro

Agree 100% ! The link I posted is for the original, made in the USA version. The made in china knock offs are garbage.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If that one doesn’t work out , you can’t go wrong with a M7 or M8 for what you’re doing either, imo.
Of course same as any sled, gotta be in good shape to be reliable but those 2 sleds are both fairly bulletproof and were pretty much the standard that mtn sleds were judged by for reliability and handling off trail for several years.
You can get also get a very good deal on sleds older than that. Mtn Cats, Rev Ski-Doo and Polaris Edge chassis. With those, about $2k can buy you a nice low mile spent it’s life in a garage type of machine that is still real capable off trail, just not nimble like the newer sleds.
IMO you need to learn about sleds though. Like anything they take preventative maintenance and repairs to minimize/eliminate break downs.
And a M7 will tow a decent trailer quite well. We pulled the kids for years in a Sno coach with the M7. Sno coach is gone kids are big and now they’re riding it as well.

P
Dec 15, 2018
If you’re in Bozeman there’s a thousand sled heads around. Probably several on here. I’m sure one would show you what to look for , fix, maintain etc.

Hey thanks i apreciate it! Thats the real problem iam having is there are so many aroiund here that i coud easily afford. I mean from 3k-6k nevermind from 700- 2500. I called the delear about an inspection and they wanted 300 and of course no parts if anything is wrong. A new track was a shocking 1100 dollars total. So i got a bit worried id just be around the same as buying a better one? You know 2500 dolkar machune with 2k in new parts and time why not spend 5k and not do it. Of course i could spend 5k and throw a rod or blow up a piston too. I guess i need to chill out on the whole thing or just buy one and go through the learning curve. Ive buit hundreds of motors and restored dozens of cars/motorcycles (not 2 strokes) and their allways a money pit but ussually i like it. The apex doesnt bother me but the owners a young man and sometimes they dont know and other times they stretch the truth. When i sell something dead i call it a core not "needs a loving new home" lol! Wish my wife would buy me one for christmas then id feel better! Hell id let her use my check book! There are some good looking m8s and m8000s and a couole m7s but a 4 stroke would be more quiet and that may help with the ball and chain! Hmmm...Merry Christmas everyone!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey thanks i apreciate it! Thats the real problem iam having is there are so many aroiund here that i coud easily afford. I mean from 3k-6k nevermind from 700- 2500. I called the delear about an inspection and they wanted 300 and of course no parts if anything is wrong. A new track was a shocking 1100 dollars total. So i got a bit worried id just be around the same as buying a better one? You know 2500 dolkar machune with 2k in new parts and time why not spend 5k and not do it. Of course i could spend 5k and throw a rod or blow up a piston too. I guess i need to chill out on the whole thing or just buy one and go through the learning curve. Ive buit hundreds of motors and restored dozens of cars/motorcycles (not 2 strokes) and their allways a money pit but ussually i like it. The apex doesnt bother me but the owners a young man and sometimes they dont know and other times they stretch the truth. When i sell something dead i call it a core not "needs a loving new home" lol! Wish my wife would buy me one for christmas then id feel better! Hell id let her use my check book! There are some good looking m8s and m8000s and a couole m7s but a 4 stroke would be more quiet and that may help with the ball and chain! Hmmm...Merry Christmas everyone!!

Buy a 600 or 700 cc sled good for 6000 miles.

An 800 before 2017 needs several hundred dollars of prevent maintenance ever 2k miles or so.

Get a 4 stroke Heavy heavy but good for 10K miles same for an air cooled 550.

Pay up get a sled with remaining warranty.

Buy a holdover sled from a dealer (last years) for zero percent 5-6 year financing and get payments under $150 a month.

Last edited:
Premium Features