• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st time in wyo.

A
Jan 30, 2008
Minnesota
A couple of us are coming out Saturday and are staying in a cabin south of foxpark. We have never ridden in wyo. Usually ride west Yellowstone. If anyone has some input on the area ie. Gas, place to get stickers, should we also get a Colorado sticker, maybe a place to start from, etc. That would be great. Thanks. (Don't need your "secret spots" "honey holes" etc. We Usually dont have a problem finding our own trouble. ?) I mean I'm open to it if your dishing out areas. Thanks again

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I haven't ridden down there in like 13 years but Wycolo Lodge used to have fuel. Albany Lodge, north up the trail a ways, has fuel.

Not familiar with the off trail riding down there. I know if you get up towards Rob Roy Reservoir there is off trail riding.

There are unlimited off trail riding and challenges north of U trail, off N trail, off eastern V trail, etc, but those are quite a ride north from Fox Park.

Q trail is interesting, but long. Most people head north up T trail to get up the the good stuff, and, the scenery is great if the weather is clear.

If you decide to venture up that far, take at least 2.5 gal extra fuel per sled and you could always stop in Albany on the way back to put in some fuel (in addition to the extra fuel you carry).

If it is windy and snowy, best to stay south of U, or at least don't go much north of like where T meets W because it turns into a whiteout really easy up there, wide open.

I don't think it would be worth getting a CO sticker unless you want to trailer down to Rabbit Ears by Steamboat Springs.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I wouldn't worry about getting the CO sticker if you're primarily riding the Snowies.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
You can get stickers at the Skidoo dealer on the way out of town or at Albany lodge for sure, I don’t know about WyColo lodge. Check a map as you go south and west I think there is a wildlife area in there somewhere. Struggling to picture it in my mind right now. It looks like the snow is going to be awesome for your trip, I was out 2 weekends ago just getting the sleds ready and rode for half a day and it was really good then just no base. I bet it’s even better now. Have a great time.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
You can pick up stickers at the West Laramie Fly Shop. Just a note: cash or local check only & their ATM has the typical high fee so bring cash. I believe $35 plus an optional $2 Search & Rescue donation. I haven't ridden down that way myself, only driven through in summer & fall, typically snowmobile the general area north of Medicine Bow Peak.

For maps, if you use smartphones, I would download the Avenza mapping app, and then get the Wyoming State Trails geo-referenced PDF maps on there. Makes navigation easy as your phone becomes an intuitive GPS. Add a 12V outlet with USB adapter to the sled, so you can charge the phone as needed.
Here's the link to the State Trails maps: http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/index.php/snowmobile/snowmobile-maps-trails

I typically buy fuel at the West Laramie Fly Shop as they have 91 non-ethanol that has never given me trouble. But I live in Laramie, so refuel on the mountain generally isn't a concern. Albany definitely has fuel, but I think WyColo lodge is undergoing renovation and may not be open at this time (may not have fuel anyway?). If you use Facebook, both Albany Lodge & Wycolo seem to keep tabs on their pages regularly, don't be shy to message them.

Premium Features