• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin XXX? - what the BEST?

G
Feb 4, 2012
NW Wisc.
Our oldest son rides in Alaska generally north of Anchorage. Not in the big MOUNTAINS all the time but generally in the lower elevations of Petersville and Talkeetna.

Last weekend he and a friend got caught in a storm that created whiteout conditions and they didn't have a GPS to guide them back.

Something happened that could have turned out REALLY BAD but he got lucky.....this time. There's not going to be a next time because we are buying him a GPS.

So it's going to be a Garmin. Want large screen and color. Will be used for snowmachining, hunting, hiking and fishing.

Radio function (Rhino) is not needed. So is it narrowed down to a Montana? Or ??

Any and all help is appreciated!

S
Dec 9, 2009
The cheapest Montana with a free custom map with an Amps mount on to a RAM mount would be really hard to beat. Many threads on this.

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
Check into a Delorme. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine was informing me on them. Much like a SPOT GPS tracker with the ability to have a map and visual tracking setup. If you do not need a Radio this seems like the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Check into a Delorme. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine was informing me on them. Much like a SPOT GPS tracker with the ability to have a map and visual tracking setup. If you do not need a Radio this seems like the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorme InReach. The orange one has the GPS functionality and the text communication, the yellow one (SE) does not have the GPS maps built in, but you can send and receive text messages.

I have the SE - you can pair it with your phone and download GPS maps to use. The maps are decent - and I have not figured out how to do custom maps like I can on my garmin.

For now I carry the Delorme InReach SE (communication), my Garmin 62S GPS with the custom trail maps, and my IPhone.....

Last edited:

tmanker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
NW Iowa
Do you need 2-way radio functionality? If so, check out rino. If not, etrex 35t is a nice unit. If you want ability to take photos, etc... check out Montana units.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Garmin

You just cant beat a Garmin GPS. I love the Montana, its one powerful unit if you know how to use a GPS. Very customizable. I use mine for sledding, snowbiking, streetbike, dirtbike etc. Garmin has been around a long time. If your into the group thing the Rino series is pretty good as well. I use VHF radio and my Montana. Excellent combo !

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
You just cant beat a Garmin GPS. I love the Montana, its one powerful unit if you know how to use a GPS. Very customizable. I use mine for sledding, snowbiking, streetbike, dirtbike etc. Garmin has been around a long time. If your into the group thing the Rino series is pretty good as well. I use VHF radio and my Montana. Excellent combo !

I just "upgraded" to a Garmin Montana 610T and Baofeng radios this year. Bit of a learning curve on the radios (programming them). Really like the waterproof shoulder mics that i purchased with the radios.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I just "upgraded" to a Garmin Montana 610T and Baofeng radios this year. Bit of a learning curve on the radios (programming them). Really like the waterproof shoulder mics that i purchased with the radios.

For those considering mics, these radios are so small that they can be put directly in a bag on your shoulder and no mic is needed. I have a neoprene beer bottle cozy sewn onto the breast/shoulder of my avy vest and it zips up over the radio. This works great. Way easier to get to if you want to change channel or hit the call button etc.

Premium Features