• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about the Axys vs. Pro

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
For those of you who owned both a Pro and an Axys, does the Axys require tunnel reinforcement to prevent tweaking? I had to reinforce the tunnel and bulkhead on my wife's Pro as we don't go into the backcountry without fuel and some gear in the tunnel bag, so having a bare tunnel isn't an option. I've also helped repair a few friends Pro tunnels that bowed / kinked at the rear suspension mount over the past few seasons. This isn't a bash, but I'm wondering if the tunnel needs to be reinforced before riding, based on the fact that we WILL be carrying a load on the tunnel? Or has Polaris strengthened this area?
Thanks

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
We have some Axys RMK's in our group and we haven't seen anything like that and I guess I haven't heard anything??? Someone else may chime in with some experience with this though.

I guess if you plan on loading up the tunnel and you know you are going to be carrying extra weight, then why not just do it as a precautionary measure? I would rather have it done and have piece of mind then wondering if it's going to happen or worse it does.

That's why we have insurance...............:)

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I think the sticker on the tunnel says 15 lbs max? Thats not much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R
Feb 29, 2016
I have been running a big tunnel bag for a few years now on both the Pro and the Axys. I do not carry fuel but my bag is at least 20-25 lbs. I have never had any problems with stock tunnels or bulkheads on these sleds.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
This. Any luck and I'll bend a tunnel on the last ride of the year and collect the insurance money and put it in to a new sled :face-icon-small-hap

I'm sure it could be arranged.......just send it my way, I'm sure I could get that tunnel bent for ya!!! ha ha.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Thx for the replies. I never carry collision insurance as it is astronomically priced up here. So I guess the consensus is no, the tunnel has not been reinforced, and you have to add weight for it to be as durable as other manufacturer's offerings? Adding bracing to the sled costs upwards of $1000 up here with our piss poor dollar, and that's just buying the parts - I guess I have some thinking to do whether it's worth it. I generally keep a sled for 3-4 years as I don't get to ride nearly as often as I'd like to these days.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I always carry a 2 1/2 gallon gas can and a tunnel bag. I'm guessing 25 pounds on the tunnel. We ride everywhere and I jump the sled some but no big drops. I have never bent the tunnel. If you're carrying lighter loads like that I'm sure you're fine. Of course, I've whacked a few rocks this year and haven't bent an A arm and my track is pristine. I think some of the guys on here hammer stuff pretty hard....in the rocks, stumps, trees and expect it to be a tank. I'll take the lightest production sled ever made, take care of it and be pleased as punch with it. If you want a tank the other manufacturer makes one, it even comes in camo green.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
For those of you who owned both a Pro and an Axys, does the Axys require tunnel reinforcement to prevent tweaking? I had to reinforce the tunnel and bulkhead on my wife's Pro as we don't go into the backcountry without fuel and some gear in the tunnel bag, so having a bare tunnel isn't an option. I've also helped repair a few friends Pro tunnels that bowed / kinked at the rear suspension mount over the past few seasons. This isn't a bash, but I'm wondering if the tunnel needs to be reinforced before riding, based on the fact that we WILL be carrying a load on the tunnel? Or has Polaris strengthened this area?
Thanks

The Axys does now have extra support in the rear tunnel area compared to the 2011-2015 Pro's. It's hard to notice unless you look under the tunnel and compare it to the older Pro's. I'm not sure it completely solves the strength needed for heavier loads back there but it helps IMO. They have also redesigned the footwell area to be much stronger as that was a weak area on the older Pro's... lots of peeps kinked that area.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thanks

Karl-
I have some tunnel reinforcements on my and clients Axys... from mild to extreme... you know how to get a hold of me and we can chat.

S/C

Premium Features