• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 Ski doo mxz-x 700 coolant in left cylinder

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
So this is the story, a friend of mine had this 700 sitting in his garage for 5 years cause his dumb friend put coolant in the injector oil (2 stroke oil reservoir) So he ordered 700 dollars worth of parts to fix it, and they sat in a box for 5 years too. I finally said ill buy it. so i cleaned the oil reservoir out of all the fluid, i put two new pistons and rings on it, one brand new jug (the other one was fine), all the gaskets. put it all together and filled with coolant and it started to leak out a bit, we forgot to put in the new gaskets. so we take the head off, replace gaskets and put it together and it starts right up. Sweet, so i thought all good. started it again, and let it heat up a bit, and shut off. Then i am on my way to pay him, and decided to start one last time, rev it up and all the sudden it pops and shuts off. pull the spark plug and pull, the thing is shooting coolant 5 feet high from only the left cylinder. then all the coolant just drained out the exhaust port. So i let it sit over night, the next morning with zero coolant i start it up, and it is running on both cylinders so i didn't blow anything like a piston. still good compression...so i fill it back up and again coolant is leaking into the left cylinder, the one side that has the brand new jug on it. I know i need to take the head off again and check the gaskets, but could the head have a crack? will i see it? And now i gotta pull the left jug off to drain the coolant in the case or is there a way to drain it easier? Im almost positive its not leaking from the bottom gasket, but i just dont know. any advice would be awesome. thanks in advance, Kelplin

Last edited:
K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
nobody?

no one can give some words of wisdom? am i writing in the wrong section? anyways i pulled the head apart, and i snapped one of the bolts that went in hard on the first put together, but the gaskets, head and cover all seen good, im still have no idea how the coolant is getting into the cylinder?

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Take the head back off & put enough coolant in to almost fill the water jackets in the cylinders. If it doesn't leak down, the problem is in the head or O-rings. If it only leaks part way down the cyl, it's probably a cracked cyl. If it leaks down to the bottom of the cyl, it's probably the base gasket. Since you had a head bolt that was hard to install, you probably didn't have the cyl's aligned properly & still need to remove them & realign. While you have them off, fill the water jackets in the case. If it leaks down then you have a cracked case or a bad seal between the cases.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Is it possible that you cross threaded the "hard" head bolt? This would give you a false torque on that bolt, causing it to maybe leak in that area. But as said above check cylinders and work your way up .

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
Thanks guys

thanks for the advice, sorry im in the wrong section, new to this... ya the coolant is i the crank case, I really wish i just bought all new head bolts, one looked a little banged up, and i put it into the new cylinder, and that is the side that it was leaking into. does anyone know if there is a drain for the crank case? i know wrong forum, not sure how to post i the correct forum..

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
No drain. Remove the reeds & snake a piece of tubing down through the crank & suck the coolant out with a shop vac. It could very well be just the bad bolt, but after you get the coolant out, I would still at least remove the head & fill the water jackets in the cylinders just to make sure it isn't leaking elsewhere. You need to get that coolant out of the crankcase soon or you risk rusting your crank & bearings.

K
Dec 3, 2013
South Lake Tahoe
base gasket

when i put the base gasket on, i put it writing up, does it matter which way the gasket goes? also, the arrow on the piston points towards the ski's, pointed away from you if your sitting on it? correct? also, after i remove the coolant from the crank case, should i throw a little 2 stroke in there to lube the crank bearings?thanks again, nick

Last edited:
Premium Features