• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 gallon of fuel in lower end???????

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
98 700 RMK W/151. This sled ran awesome last year. This year i went to run it and the carbs gummed up, cleaned it all out and put fresh fuel in tank and it ran fine. Recently i had a buddy come out and ride with me, The sled has been running like crap so we starting looking for the reason. We pulled off carbs and reeds and checked everything over. Carbs and reeds good. We then noticed when we turned the motor over, there was a sloshing noise, there was around a 1/2-1 gallon of fresh fuel in the lower end. We pulled out the brass plugs on both sides and drained the fuel out. What is the cause of this... We were riding a ticking bomb.

Thanks
Grant

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
98 700 RMK W/151. This sled ran awesome last year. This year i went to run it and the carbs gummed up, cleaned it all out and put fresh fuel in tank and it ran fine. Recently i had a buddy come out and ride with me, The sled has been running like crap so we starting looking for the reason. We pulled off carbs and reeds and checked everything over. Carbs and reeds good. We then noticed when we turned the motor over, there was a sloshing noise, there was around a 1/2-1 gallon of fresh fuel in the lower end. We pulled out the brass plugs on both sides and drained the fuel out. What is the cause of this... We were riding a ticking bomb.

Thanks
Grant

Bad needle and seat. Check both carbs,one side hung up and leaked,or
the seat for your needle has egg shaped and is letting fuel go by the carbs.
or a choke has stuck. IMO good luck

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Yep, Mike is right on. Had the same prob with mine after doin a carb cleanin..had a piece of dirt under the needle...

X3...

I had something so small you could barely see it. Sled barely ran down low and would take off wide open. I had to keep dumping fuel out of the bottom.

M
Jan 26, 2011
Bad needle and seat. Check both carbs,one side hung up and leaked,or
the seat for your needle has egg shaped and is letting fuel go by the carbs.
or a choke has stuck. IMO good luck

Sounds about right Mike! Also could be a bad diaphram in the fuel pump.

Good advise here. :cool:
Had a similar issue with my 97 XLT, replaced all 3 needle/seats and rebuilt the fuel pump. Almost positive the needle/seats fixed it but for under $10 and 10 minutes rebuilding the fuel pump was worth it.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
Sounds about right Mike! Also could be a bad diaphram in the fuel pump.

Pinch off the fuel on the pump side hose, with the carb bowl nut loose and see if it still drips. to see if this is the culprit.

I have sEEN MANY Sleds that will bounce around on the trailer and do this,
as well as many come back to the shop and there fine by then.
if its old replace it.
good luck

Premium Features