• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1983 Polaris fuel problem???

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I am trying to help a buddy with his newly acquired 1983 Polaris 400 LX (I think...?) The sled fowled plugs quickly, and then quit running. He got it to run after pouring gas down both cylinders and babying the throttle. Then it quit running all together. It is the typical abused 27 year old sled, but tank seemed clean and I cleaned the carb this morning (which seemed fine.) We replaced the fuel filter and some of the hoses, but need to get some smaller hose to replace the rest. Now, I see it won't feed fuel from the tank to the fuel filter. It will run if you pour gas down the cylinders, but won't suck fuel. Fuel pump? If I pull the hose off of the tank it leaks fuel, but it won't feed fuel up hill to the fuel shutoff valve or down to the filter. Does the fuel pump on these things suck fuel from the tank and push it to the carb, or is it gravity feed from the tank to the pump? I have rebuilt pumps before, so that is probably the next step, but I wanted to see what you Polaris guys thought.
Thanks!

Premium Features