• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Cougar clutch broke in half!

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
My wife's 97 Cougar Mountain Cat clutch hung up and stalled. When I tried to start it, it moved forward. I towed it home and tried to pull the clutch to see what was up and the clutch came apart just below the spider. There are no threads past this point. Has anybody ever pulled the inner sheave with a gear type puller? Have you got any ideas that might help? I can rob the clutch from a 96 Cougar I have to get this one going if i can only get the clutch off...
I guess this means i will be parting out the 96! Thanks in advance!
Tom

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
yes I have experience with this. You need to weld the sheave with threads back on and then pull it. Or you can use a cut off grinder making dam sure you do not nick the crank. Its a pain in the ***, mine held enough after welding the sheave back on. Good luck.

A

autowrench

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, CO
Thanks for the idea. I may have to try that if a puller fails. I'm not keen on cutting the old part off if i can avoid it. I will have to remove the spider from the steel shaft before i can weld it back on. It is broken flush with the spider.
Tom

Premium Features