• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94 AC Cougar Dies with throttle

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
94 Cougar Mountain Cat 440, runs great down the trail but every once in a while it will be hard to start and once started it will die when you give it throttle. If you gently play with the throttle (without it dieing) you can get it to rev up then it will run great down the trail until the next time we stop. Any suggestions on what it could be?

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Sounds like the pilot jets may be clogged. If you clean them make sure you run a thin wire or even fishing line thru them to get them clean. Of course if this is and EFI sled thats not it. Also you can adjust the idle scew. if you turn it out it gives it more air. just do small adjustments, like quarter turns.

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
Thank, I'll try cleaning the pilot yets. It is carbed. Quick question tho, if the pilot jets were clogged wouldn't it run crappy all the time? This is only after we shut it off and restart it. Once its running "good" you can zip down the trail, stop, gas it again and it will run great. But sometimes when you shut if off and start it again it will die when you give it gas. It's more an annoyance than anything as you have to "baby" the throttle to keep it from dieing, but once you run it up again it runs great

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
Might want to look at your Needle and Seat Assemble...If you don't have the one with the Viton rubber tip..your needle could be worn and letting gas seep into your bowls and filling them up when you shut it off...make sure you pull them out and check the tip..if it has a grove on it you need to replace them..I would recommend going to the Viton tip ones...worked great on my 92 EXT Special!

Glenn

Premium Features