• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to install clutch on a 95 580 powder specail?

R
Nov 28, 2009
ok so i have a new clutch to put on my sled hoow do i take. the old one off and how do i put the new one on. and how do i adjust the clutch for it. i am picking up new clutch tomarrow and want to get it on as soon as possable.

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
You will need a special puller to get the old one off. I think you use a 1/2 inch 12 point socket to get the clutch bolt out. Then you screw the puller in the clutch bolt hole. Some use an impact wrench some say it is a bad idea. I just tightened my puller down and smacked the end with a hammer and the clutch popped off.

To install my clutch I just bolted it on.... tight. Don't need that thing coming off real bad. There is a torque spec for it but can't remember what it is.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
No you don't need an impact wrench and like stated, it's a bad idea. I have never esed one.

You need a clutch puller, and a clutch holder. If you don't have a clutch holder, you can use a bar and not damage anything.

YOu're clutch will probably be difficult to take off, I would just start by tipping the sled on it's right side, or the can side, take the clutch bolt out, pour aoubt 1oz of water down inside the clutch, wrap teflon tape around the threads on the clutch puller, and start it in. It should pop off once you get it tight and it shouldn't require much torgue, if it does, torque it in as tight as you can, and give a few good wacks with a hammer( the end of the clutch puller that is).

Good luck, it's not that hard.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
IMPACT....

negative on the impact gun rmk600. It can mess up the timing on your crank. The crank is several pieces that are pressed together, the "journals" are splined where they are pressed into the "throws" or "offsets" (I can't think of the correct lingo). Anyhow, the impact gun can screw up the "clocking" of each piece and you will end up with a broken engine. Unless you have an extra grand or two layin' around to fix the engine........go for it....

You should buddy up with someone that works at or runs a snowmobile shop and hang out there or get a job there doing something. That is where I learned about half of the crap I know. I used to hang out at "Bud's Saw Shop in Cottonwood, ID after work. I would stand back and watch while BSing or give a hand when one was needed. The owner was good about letting me hang out, but most of the CAT riders in the area hung out there anyhow. The other half I learned from my dad and from experience. Heed my advice young grasshopper, it will be the best thing you do for yourself.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
hey

go hang out at a small shop and watch n learn.

The clutch puller is basically a specialized bolt that threads into the clutch and pushes against the crank at the same time. The clutch bolt threads into the crank and pulls on the clutch to hold it on.

Premium Features