• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb problems

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
so i know this might seem a bit strange but on my 98 powder special i am having a hell of a time getting it jetted.

I removed the altitude compensator and installed some carbs from a earlier 600 cc sled.

i have changed jets so many times i am going crazy.

Symptoms,

will not idle
only starts when choke is on
will rap out but as soon as you let off of the throttle and then hit it again bogs and dies.

plugs are brown white so i know it is a little lean

Pilot jets are 35 and and mains are 170's
Air screws do not matter where they are, .5 out to 3 out does not matter

and it will be rode around 10k

Please give me an idea where to start:confused:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I do not bekieve AC had a 600 twin before 98 just the tripple which would have 3 smaller carbs jetted different than two larger carbs feeding only 2 cylinders. A 170 jet seems way too lean. I ran 185 jets in a 440 fan polaris twin 32mm carb at 5K-7K feet many years ago. I would start with a much larger jet possibly 250-260 and work my way up or down as needed.

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
good to know

but i know the carbs came off of a 600 and they were tied together, Choke and Throttle so i know it was a twin. maybe not a cat though. I will try upping the main. thanks

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
raps out on the stand

but not in the snow, with the 40's in there it idles very high, 4k, air screw still does not matter where it is and the idle screws are all of the way out. put 35's in there and it wont even pop, olny will pop when you prime the cylinders. I am thinking about putting 37.5's in there and dropping the mains a bit because it will not rap out with a load.

What do you guys run in your 600's at about 9 to 13 k ?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I would go higher with the pilot. The high idle with the 40 is a lean condition and the failure to pop at a lower number pilot without priming is even a leaner condition.

Premium Features