• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha One Rear Skid - Will it change things forever?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Possibly. I had a Yeti 129 with a Maxtrack 2 which is not as good of a track as the one on the DTS 129. I could hold a sidehill line easier on it than my friend on the DTS 129 even though he is a far superior much younger rider. Snow conditions make a difference too. In spring snow, the two rail systems hold a sidehill better.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I do agree. I think on the doo t motion is the biggest hindrance not the flex edge. It also does make some stuff more fun. No sled is perfect for everything.
My buddy's kid was at the photo shoot, with Yamaha, and the alpha was just sitting there and he didn't see if he could ride it. Damn kids. Said it looked like it worked good. Said powder was over the hood.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
My question is how much does that track weigh.
They only advertise the sled as 1 lb lighter, the
Track isn’t a single ply. Did they remove weight from the skid and add it back to the track. If so rotating weight is bad as we all know. I’m very interested in this setup

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
When looking at the track the lugs for the outer bogie wheels are still there (they aren't needed any longer). The track on these sleds is clearly an off the shelf track not specifically designed for this application.

If a track was specifically designed for this application it would not have those outer lugs, it would probably be of a different durometer and thickness, etc. I think once they design a track specifically for this application there will be benefits to be gained in traction as well as more weight to be saved.

dps

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Leeds ND
The single-beam slide rail works in conjunction with a NEWLY DEVELOPED Power Claw track. The track features a single row of track windows, right up the middle. It comes in 154” and 165” lengths, with a standard 3” lug and 3.5” pitch.Messages Image(1906124125).jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The Alpha is listed as being 15lb lighter than the regular Mountain Cat with 154/153 tracks. It's only listed as 1 lb lighter than the Hardcore, which is a typo I believe as it should be at least 10lb more than the Mountain Cat.

That track is different than everything else used in the Cat lineup. 3.5pitch, only center ported, different lugs that look like a mix between the 3" PC and a Camso 280. Clearly not "off the shelf". Not really sure why the very outer row of drive nubs is still there as I don't think the drivers catch them.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
When looking at the track the lugs for the outer bogie wheels are still there (they aren't needed any longer). The track on these sleds is clearly an off the shelf track not specifically designed for this application.

If a track was specifically designed for this application it would not have those outer lugs, it would probably be of a different durometer and thickness, etc. I think once they design a track specifically for this application there will be benefits to be gained in traction as well as more weight to be saved.

You still need the inside lugs. The rear axle wheels would ride between them.

T

TCSparky

Mar 2, 2018
Did the monoshock change motorcross bikes forever? I think the monorail is here to stay!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Drivers??

what do the drivers for this track look like...hope there is an extro. in the center. I don't like the idea of going back to the standard driver system with a tight track...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
what do the drivers for this track look like...hope there is an extro. in the center. I don't like the idea of going back to the standard driver system with a tight track...
They look similar to the current drivers.
Flipped 180° and closer together.

Alpha ......

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Sure would of been nice to see this in a 175 inch and maybe a little stronger motor, the principal of the mono rail looks good

Tmotion on doo is junk, makes the sled so tippy that there is no way to follow a existing line in the deep.. Just throws a guy around.. When it's deleted it is much more stable and enjoyable to ride.. But the mono rail looks just as stable and even easier to throw around watching them make the power circles

Good job cat..

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Watching the video in the other section I think they left the outer drive nubs in place to track with the upper idler wheels at the rear skid mount.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Watching the video in the other section I think they left the outer drive nubs in place to track with the upper idler wheels at the rear skid mount.
I agree.
The top wheels are still in the same place.
4fbf537022e0cd00738f65783274a6b2.jpg
79d614fb3bd41530fdd3835f845da5c9.jpg

Alpha ......

C
Feb 21, 2008
Chanhassen MN
Track tension will be paramount! I LOVE cat for giving us this... didn't share it with yammi hilarious. Super curious how how unbearable it would be on the trail to the pow, not that that matters much.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I spoke with a dealer that rode the Alpha 1 yesterday. He said he loves the 2018 Mountain cat but, he feels the new Alpha 1 is a huge step forward and absolutely changes the game. He also said the rear end does not wash out on steep side hills. He is really excited about Textron now owning Cat and bringing in the operating capital to fund some of the great ideas in the hopper that Cat could not afford on their own.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
He also said the rear end does not wash out on steep side hills.

Boy, if Cat figured out how to give the rider ease of handling & turning but can also maintain the sidehill...that is huge.

I wonder what the patents are on this system and if the aftermarket guys can copy and roll out to existing sleds? From the sounds of it, this will improve any sled. And doesn't seem to need anything special for mounting or tunnel adaptation. Pretty cool.

One last thought...this skid should be super light and reliable...everything is triangulated from the skid base...very strong geometry.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Patents should be pretty strong. This has been a long time coming so I am sure they covered all bases. For 2012-2016 Proclimb chassis you need to drop and roll the chaincase in order to use the Alpha 1 skid.

It is a game changer for pure boondocking and mountain riding for sure.

As far as other brands using the Arctic Cat skid, they would have to look into the approach angle and mounting points.

You also need the center drivers, but there is a kit coming this summer for conversion. I have a feeling it will be a strong seller......

Premium Features