• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 c-tech starting issues like proclimbs?

F
Sep 19, 2008
Truckee Ca.
Me too.. 2018 c-tech starting issues like proclimbs

I have been having the same problem with hard starting only once warm or hot, to put a twist on things there is also a sidekick installed. I'm unsure if its a cat issue or a boondocker issue but it was not a problem last year when I bought the sled, early release 2018.

When the sled is warm, it would take 4-5 long pulls to start. If hot, it would need to cool down but then would take a lot of pulls to finally start...that was until two days ago. The sled got shut off, a little on the hot side, and would not restart no matter how cooled off it was or how many times it got pulled.
After reading all the posts on the issue, I unplugged the tether, TSS and even disconnected the kill switch, so that only the key could turn it on or off. Then I made sure there was spark and fuel pumping and still no start. So I gave it a little starting fluid in the cylinders and it started up first pull and it didn't skip a beat once running. I started and killed it 3-4 times and it started first pull every time. Before I would have to pull the rope to the very end multiple times for it to start, now it starts with a normal quick pull for some reason. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it goes away and hope it was a TSS or tether issue.

BWT- I was in Island Park getting to ride the Alpha One when this all happened and that thing is going to be a game changer for sure! I got to ride it for a few hours, it started first pull (as it should), turns on a dime, is very light in the skid due to no snow build up and they also changed up the handle bar controls that is a big improvement. I will be putting cash down for a new Alpha for sure even with my starting issues!

Thank you everyone for the posts on this issue!!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Hot soak and no fuel was very common on modded and turbo m-sleds. Happened to me a lot on my first 1000. Seemed to happen mainly when I shut machine down too quickly after working it hard. Let it idle for a minute or two and then shut down it was ok. Pulled a powervalve a few times to put gas in cylinder to get it going though. Put a switch on coolant temp sensor to make it easier. Put a new crate motor in later and never touched switch again (new coolant sensor). My 13 M8 seems to be doing this now but coolant sensor doesnt affect getting it going again. More intermittent too and wont start cold sometimes.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah it's something programmed into the ecu for sure. I think the computers are working correctly but in my case there's bad/exaggerated readings coming in somewhere......or maybe a sticky thermostat. But then yeah, mods just add even more motor burden and heat.

My ecu is at cat right now getting reflashed. They said this actually fixed a few of them. I kind of doubt it will help because I had another ecu in there last weekend when it was doing it (once after sitting, once after a tether pull). It's something in the harness, temp sensor or maybe a weak voltage reading through the harness or out of the regulator. Hearing all you guys talk about how unusual it is got me motivated to lean on my warranty a bit. Nearest dealer is almost 2 hours away but whatever. I added up all the stuff I'd have to redo on getting an 18, and I just can't justify the money.

Thanks for all the input guys!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have found that to be the norm for any 2 stroke. My dirt bike is the same way.

My buddy had an issue with his 17 MC not starting. They replaced the ECU and fixed it, although this seems pretty uncommon
Don't try it with the C-tec2, they don't like it when u touch the throttle.........

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Pretty sure I put 4300km on my ctec2 800 this year. It always started 2nd pull cold. 1 pull hot.

Never had a hot or cold start issue. Around 3000km the flame thrower ate a hole through the belly pan and the exhaust deflector has all but fallen off now.

Premium Features