• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 m8000 mod opinions

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Does anyone have experience or opinion on the Arctic Cat proclimb running boards built by diamond extreme? I can get a new set for $260, seems like a good buy. And do the grippers help flotation wise during slow maneuvers/keep the front end up better than the proclimb 7 skis?

The boards from BDX are different than the proclimb boards from cat. The BDX boards are not narrower, so really not much benefit. The narrowed proclimb boards are the best mod I've done to my 16. The B&M boards are definitely nicer, but I think as long as you're not a big dude or do much jumping the proclimb boards are a good budget option. Also I used traction screws instead of the plastic cleats. The grippers hold an edge better and are more predictable, in my opinion. As many other's have also said, 3" PC is definitely a big upgrade over the 2.6" as well.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
2018 body work

d1100t do you think a full 18 bodywork kit would be worth the roughly $1500 it costs (bdx)? i want that slimmer feel but i dont notice the proclimb bodywork really hanging me up anywhere.

The 2018 body work is way better.
You'll need skinny boards of some kind. I'm very glad I choose BM fab boards.
Because my sled is turboed and didn't need all the air intake parts it was very easy to add the 2018 body work. And the mountain fit hood fits pretty good also. I didn't have to do any trimming to make it fit.

Is it worth it?
I think so.
Costs us more in Canada to buy all these parts.
Does the bdx kit use the ascender body work or does it use the 4 stoke/trail sled body work?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Picture

Here's a pic of my 2016 sled with the 2018 body work and a mountain fit hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Thanks for all the advice and info here guys. I should have initially given a touch more background, I agree the sled stock is more capable than I am, there’s no doubt, but I’ve started riding with a group of guys that have been riding in the mountains for about 12 years so for me it’s trying to keep up. The group is great couple pro rmk’s and a few axys sleds. Been a cat guy my whole life and got a great deal on my current sled. Was just curious what mods would help me progress quicker. Fwiw I’m 170 lbs without gear. Thanks for all the help so far. I’m thinking boards, grippers and possibly drop and roll as of now. Is there a certain company I should go through for the drop and roll? I like the idea of getting up on the snow better... I’d like to go 3” but seems like the tracks are $1,100 and my current tracks in great shape. Has anyone done the drop and roll while still keeping the 2.6? As I said earlier I’ve cut the fingers off already.
Thanks

Tyshu2

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2016
B and M Fab ran a sale last summer and I got mine at 10% off and free choice of color powder coating. Total was $374 shipped. Wondering if they will run that sale again? They are a work of art. Perfect welds and fitment. I went with traction screws and am happy with the grip.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Does the bdx kit use the ascender body work or does it use the 4 stoke/trail sled body work?

i believe its asssender body work. http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=758&controller=product
theres a guy on here who bought all the cat parts and sounded like in hind sight he said the bdx kit would have got it done easier.
i like the slimmed chaincase cover/oil tank part. not sure it fits my MC tho. i wouldnt want any narrower boards than the MC also. might make a call to them and see if the kit can be configured differently.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
TKI makes a template set for $90. You can then use Cat parts, or TKI belt drive.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Is there a place where I could download/look at the instructions before purchasing the template kit for drop and roll so I knew what it all entailed? Tried looking at TKI’s site no luck
Any opinions on using an mc chain case vs purchasing a belt drive(seems like an upgrade)?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Tki kit

Is there a place where I could download/look at the instructions before purchasing the template kit for drop and roll so I knew what it all entailed? Tried looking at TKI’s site no luck
Any opinions on using an mc chain case vs purchasing a belt drive(seems like an upgrade)?

You have to buy the tki templates (2 because you'll need them on both sides of the tunnel) and the mountain cat longer chain case to do the drop and roll.
Then you ether buy a longer chain or buy the MC belt drive kit with a longer belt.

If you have 7 tooth drivers and want to go 8 tooth drivers you need to buy those also.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
The boards from BDX are different than the proclimb boards from cat. The BDX boards are not narrower, so really not much benefit. The narrowed proclimb boards are the best mod I've done to my 16. The B&M boards are definitely nicer, but I think as long as you're not a big dude or do much jumping the proclimb boards are a good budget option. Also I used traction screws instead of the plastic cleats. The grippers hold an edge better and are more predictable, in my opinion. As many other's have also said, 3" PC is definitely a big upgrade over the 2.6" as well.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=24&controller=product

Not sure if the link will post but according to bdx website and country cat these boards are 1” narrower per side, 6.25” in the stirrups. Would these boards be a good upgrade or no? I’m 170lbs without gear.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Boards

Not sure if the link will post but according to bdx website and country cat these boards are 1” narrower per side, 6.25” in the stirrups. Would these boards be a good upgrade or no? I’m 170lbs without gear.

Did you read the instruction and do you understand how the old boards are cut off and how the new boards are mounts to the tunnel?

The tunnel is a 2 peace tunnel and separated with a small gap where the boards are mountd to the tunnel.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB

It’s your personal preference. I changed the boards on mine before I ever rode the sled. I went with bdx boards. They work good. Got them on sale. And they’ve held up great as I’m a fat bugger at probably 270 geared up rtr. Doesn’t matter the conditions, they don’t hold ice or snow. I’m 2 seasons on them now.

Personally, I think any board is an upgrade. My 2016 has the same tired boards as my 2008 and 2005 for that matter.

schnid21

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2009

Take a look at this link. About half way down someone posted a .pdf of the install directions that come with the kit. Its not difficult, but its not a small job by any means. Little unnerving when you start cutting away at the tunnel of a perfectly good sled. The templates are very conservative (good thing). They get you pretty close, but you will need to remove more to get the inner chaincase to fit. There is other posts on Snowest detailing the install as well.

I would say it was definitely worth it though. I felt the sled could climb through a lot more than it could before. Seemed to want to climb out of the snow and stay on top.

And for the extra little bit of money, I would go with the TKI belt drive. That way all you buy from CAT is the inner chaincase half. The rest come from TKI.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4005401

Premium Features