• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb issue

A
Dec 10, 2017
Having issues keeping my sled running. Low throttle response is boggy and won't stay idling. Once it dies its a bitch to get started again. Carbs have been cleaned. Last owner said he may have put bigger jets in. Any ideas??

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

R
Dec 11, 2017
Carb

Having issues keeping my sled running. Low throttle response is boggy and won't stay idling. Once it dies its a bitch to get started again. Carbs have been cleaned. Last owner said he may have put bigger jets in. Any ideas??

Just learning how to use this.

A
Dec 10, 2017

Please help somebody!!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Please help somebody!!

Step one what is the carb on?
How many are there?
What type are they?
The more info you can give the better the results will be.
Try all the simple things first adjust choke cable to specs, ensure fresh fuel, put in new spark plugs. Did you check the old plugs are they wet or dry? If they're wet its flooding could be needle and seat leaking, float is adjusted wrong, choke is adjusted wrong. If the main jet is to large it shouldn't affect idle but a pilot jet will. Does the fuel pump put out can you see it pumping fuel?

A
Dec 10, 2017
Step one what is the carb on?
How many are there?
What type are they?
The more info you can give the better the results will be.
Try all the simple things first adjust choke cable to specs, ensure fresh fuel, put in new spark plugs. Did you check the old plugs are they wet or dry? If they're wet its flooding could be needle and seat leaking, float is adjusted wrong, choke is adjusted wrong. If the main jet is to large it shouldn't affect idle but a pilot jet will. Does the fuel pump put out can you see it pumping fuel?
It has fresh fuel, new plugs. Plugs are not wet. 95 polaris indy 440. Has 2 carbs. How do I adjust and check needle and seet

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Spark plugs are wet, needle and seat are good, carbs are cleaned. What next???

Is the choke cable and throttle cables adjusted correctly? If so I would do the following.

Remove both carbs mark them for left and right,
Remove bowl confirm float level, proper jets pilot and main, ensure jets are clean and all passages are clean including the choke.
Check needle and needle jet make sure they are the right part numbers check for needle wear.
Double check the needle and seat for proper function make sure there is nothing stuck in one. Small piece of dirt or a hair will cause them to flood.
I use a torch tip cleaner for cleaning jets along with compressed air. Make sure you don't make the jet larger with the cleaner as they are brass / soft.

Other things to check are:
fuel filter and or tank screen,
compression,
belt is it the right length / width,
primary clutch for wear, broken springs, seized rollers etc,
secondary clutch for proper movement,
exhaust may be plugged mice packing away seeds,
another thing to check would be reeds but i don't think Polaris used them on that model in 95 but i'm not sure.
Good luck let me know what you find.

A
Dec 10, 2017
Is the choke cable and throttle cables adjusted correctly? If so I would do the following.

Remove both carbs mark them for left and right,
Remove bowl confirm float level, proper jets pilot and main, ensure jets are clean and all passages are clean including the choke.
Check needle and needle jet make sure they are the right part numbers check for needle wear.
Double check the needle and seat for proper function make sure there is nothing stuck in one. Small piece of dirt or a hair will cause them to flood.
I use a torch tip cleaner for cleaning jets along with compressed air. Make sure you don't make the jet larger with the cleaner as they are brass / soft.

Other things to check are:
fuel filter and or tank screen,
compression,
belt is it the right length / width,
primary clutch for wear, broken springs, seized rollers etc,
secondary clutch for proper movement,
exhaust may be plugged mice packing away seeds,
another thing to check would be reeds but i don't think Polaris used them on that model in 95 but i'm not sure.
Good luck let me know what you find.
I checked all that, only thing I found was that the main jets are 140 but supposed to have 180 so I ordered some, pilot jet is the right size. My choke cables where pretty rusted but seemed to be working properly, I ordered new ones to be on the safe side. Needle and seet are good and clean. Starts but dies right away, plugs are wet, I can't find where all the extra fuel is coming from.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I checked all that, only thing I found was that the main jets are 140 but supposed to have 180 so I ordered some, pilot jet is the right size. My choke cables where pretty rusted but seemed to be working properly, I ordered new ones to be on the safe side. Needle and seet are good and clean. Starts but dies right away, plugs are wet, I can't find where all the extra fuel is coming from.

When it dies does it still have spark?
Also do you have a fuel shut off valve? You could run it completely dry and make sure the crank case is empty also. Your needle and seat control the flow of fuel and your float set the amount. Did you check the floats for cracks i have seen them crack before and not float. How are you checking the needle and seat ?

A
Dec 10, 2017
When it dies does it still have spark?
Also do you have a fuel shut off valve? You could run it completely dry and make sure the crank case is empty also. Your needle and seat control the flow of fuel and your float set the amount. Did you check the floats for cracks i have seen them crack before and not float. How are you checking the needle and seat ?
The floats are not cracked. It has spark. I pulled the needle and seat out and they look good, not plugged or dirty. What else can I do? I'm lost!! Also where is my throttle cable supposed to be set and choke cables? Idk if that would have any effect on this issue or not.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The floats are not cracked. It has spark. I pulled the needle and seat out and they look good, not plugged or dirty. What else can I do? I'm lost!! Also where is my throttle cable supposed to be set and choke cables? Idk if that would have any effect on this issue or not.

You should be good at taking the carbs off buy now so remove them again.
But before you do find a service manual for your machine and buy it.
Remove carbs
remove bowl fill with fuel and let set overnight to test floats for leaks
get a piece of clean fuel hose put it on a carb with the bowl off and blow through it with just your mouth air should go through easy while blowing turn the carb upside down air should stop. {needle and set check} Repeat on other carb.
The chokes are not a choke like on a car where they restrict air these open a passage for more fuel. If they aren't adjusted right the engine will flood. The choke lever needs an 1/8 of an inch of play before it starts to lift the plungers, that is to ensure they are seated when off.
With the bowl off set the carb upside down, the float lever should be level to the body. If its not you need to gently bend the tang on the float lever that rests on the needle and seat until its level with the body of the carb. Most carb float sit level but not all so it is important to get the manual it will tell you where it needs to be but most likely it will be level. When i say needle and seat i mean the needle that controls fuel flow from the fuel pump to get to it you need to remove the float lever. I should have made that clear earlier if I have confused you I apologize.
The throttle cables are a bit more work it will explain in the manual if not let me know i will walk you through it.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Another possibility for the flooding is the fuel pump diaphram has a hole in it and it is allowing fuel to get into the pulse line from the crankcase. This would only flood one side though. What elevation are you at?

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I'm betting that your needle and seats are not shutting off the fuel as they should. If you'll look on the front of your engine down below the exhaust manifold on lower half off the crankcase you'll find two small 10mm hex bolts (brass), one for each cylinder. Take those out and see how much fuel comes out of the bottom of the crankcase. Any more than a teaspoon and your engine is flooded. I have a shop manual, if you need a copy send a PM with your email address and I'll send you one.

Premium Features