• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mods for a ZX

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
another thread about this...lol

Does he have a budget?

-RKT 827 Big Bore = $1400
-CPI Twin Pipes $500
-Dynoport Single Pipe = $350
-Can (HPS, MBRP, Dynoport etc, etc) = $250
-Boss Seat
-loose some idler wheels and add ice scratchers (or dont add them)
-Fabcraft arms
-nitrous
-reeds
-billet gas cap ;)

:)

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
I've got an old snowest article on lightening up an 03 ZX 700 if you need it. Biggest bang for the buck weight wise is hood and seat. They also went into a whole bunch of other stuff that was more expensive, reeds, lightweight gears, etc.

What I've done to mine is just lose the sway bar and adjust the suspension, can't remember how, but whatever Backcountry Bob said to do - I'm pretty sure the rear spring is on 4, not sure about the front screw on the skid. Also can't remember the front shock settings, but I can check if need be.

Engine wise, talk to Big John at sledheadracing or take it to Felker in Ft. Collins, CO and let him set it up for you.

K
Dec 2, 2007
West Kootenay
My '01 800 runs pretty strong, has V-Force3 reeds, shaved heads, lightweight hood and had some clutching done.

Clutching is a big thing, mine is dialed in to a tee, and last year riding against a buddy with an '03 800, mine would pull on him all the time.

But with all that you are still stuck with old school suspension/seating. If I were to spend the kind of money needed to mod it to make it keep up to the new stuff, I would just buy a good used 2 year old machine. Rev800 or an M7 or 8. Stock, they kick my a$$.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If this is a 01 800 then the best mod is a suspension setback with a 156 track and a Big John clutch setup. For that money you can't beat these mods !

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Here's an old post of mine summarizing the old snowest article:
"I've got an old 2002 Snowest article where they went lightweight on a summit 700:
Description - Weight Savings (lbs)
MBRP lightweight trail silencer - 7.5
Boss Seat 8.25
Fabcraft front end 9
Racer X hood 12
Renton front springs 1.5
ArvinMeritor Ryde FX AL shocks 1.5
Bombi lighweight axle and drive shaft 2.5
Wahl Bros. AL gears 1.5
SLP lightweight brake rotor 1.75
SLP skis 3.5
"Junk" not needed 7
Total savings 56 lbs
cost $6,500

The first 44 lbs is only $1,800 retail, but they doo mention the gears and such are in the rotating mass so they free up a bunch of HP. The junk I assume is the sway bar (3 lb), gauges, and gas rack with rear light. It looks like they had the stock headlight and digitron gauges on it.

The top speed went from 70 to 75 mph, but the distance covered in 10 seconds went from 710 feet to 805 feet.

Hope that gives you some new ideas"

All prices were 2002 dollars.

Here's BackCountryBob's reply on ZX suspension setup:

"ZX---add a high top seat,4" riser, Simmons skis, remove sway bar, Dynoport can (weight savings only), soft ski pressure, limiter strap with 1.5 inches showing,,front skid shock 3/4 stiff, rear springs stiff---lean over, shout "turn", and you will cut 10' donuts."

He aslo said if you go too fast when carving, the zx will right itself and go straight.

Premium Features