• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

keep braking pull ropes

B
Jan 25, 2011
utah
hey i have a 98 summit x 670 thats been bored to a 740 with a high compression head and today when i took it out i broke 3 ropes and the day be for that i broke 4 just trying to start it so i got a thicker rope and a broke every thing in side and i cant figure out why i keep braking so many ropes so please help

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
When you say took it out you mean for a ride...correct? I assume you have your clutches on. The crank needs the clutch mass to rotate otherwise they are very difficult even without high compression.
How is the deflection on your belt. It is to tight and dragging on the clutch? Is this the first time starting since the mods to the engine?

B
Jan 25, 2011
utah
cpi did all the clutching and the belts still good and its not the first time sense mods im thinking it might be some wearing and the motors not in the original chassis its been put in to a 99 powder special chassis with 156 polaris track with custom bulk head a tunnel if that helps

Last edited:
T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Is this the first start up and run for the season? Could have a ring frozen to the cylinder wall if it was not properly stored. Pull the plugs and try pulling the rope. Look in plug hole for scores and debris

M
Sep 29, 2013
Get a recoil and the ring it bolts to off of a 03ish 800 bolts right up much larger recoil starts much easier might have to cut a notch in the ring to clear the motor mount I have a 583 with a milled head and did this to it problem solved

Premium Features