• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 rmk 700 155 or 2008 Dragon 700 163???

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011

Hi there,

Thanks for reading. I need some help on deciding on the two noted sleds. 2009 700 RMK 155 track with about 600 miles, mint shape has risers and scratchers otherwise stock. The Dragon is an 08 700 with 163 track almost brand new. Both within a couple hundred miles and a couple hundred dollars. I am new to the really long tracks, previously had a Ski Doo 144 track and loved to carve and play around in the powder, not much for straight hill climbs.

I guess I think both are good sleds, both will be good buys and worth about the same. I am just wondering if anyone knows of any flaws on the models I should be aware of or if the 163 track is too long and the 155 is a better choice?

Any input would be appreciated.
E​

D
Dec 7, 2008
I own a 08 & 09. Other then plastic, shocks same sled. Both have been very good. I would agree I'd go with the 09 plastic if your o-k with a 163.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Do the 09 sled. Better plastic and although I have never been on the Ryde coil shocks, anything is better than the WE's of the Dragon. The plastic bugs me enough that I would switch the 08 to 09 plastic. But that requires new fenders and a-arms unless you cut into the plastic.

I also think the 155" feels much smaller than the 163" on the IQ chassis. Easy decision for me.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Both are great sleds. It really depends on which one is in the best condition and you can make the best deal on. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I love my 07 D7 155" and haven't seen a need to get a new sled yet, it just keeps on going and going and going.

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for the replies, very good input so far. Why are the walker air shocks so bad? Funny because they are a lot more money!$@! Anyone have any bad experiences on here with them?

Also anyone with an 09 rmk 700 that can elaborate on the ryde fx coil shocks? I am a fairly new rider so dont think the shocks will make much a deal to me at this point....was also leaning towards the 155" track as well might be a little easier for me to move around!

Thanks again,
E

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
There are alot more improvements on the 09 than meets the eye. Better lower end for sure. No decision for me...the 09 hands down.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I was in about the same sittuatuion as you, i have just got into riding and was previously riding a 97 700 polaris 144, it was a good sled to learn to ride on for two years and it was cheap and bulletproof... I just recently bought a 08 D7 155 track from a guy in utah i was looking for the same sleds you are looking at. I choose this one beacuse it was a good deal and what i wanted... I would go with the 155 track, ive ridden my moms and my brothers sled before (both 09 155's) so the same as the 09 you are looking at and the 155 felt pretty long to me you know in comparison to ridding my old 97 polaris,.... It was nice to ride and the new chassis is way easier to ride even with the longer track.

As far as the shocks, my dragon has the WE shocks, and ive never ridden a sled with them on it, i know they are lighter but not sure why some people dont like them. I feel the same way you do at this point, i dont think the shocks are going to make that big of difference to me and my riding style.

In my opinion i would go with the 09 because there are a lot more upgrades that are on it (plastics, spindles, bumper) and it is just a year newer. You will be happy with the 155 and surprised at how easy it is to ride for how much track there is. But im sure you would be very happy with either sled. Good Luck!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I think my choice would lean towards the 09 if they really were close. Condition would be my number one priority. The 09 plastic is a HUGE bonus but it's only $400 to change over. So is the 09 spindle package for slow speed handling and you can find 09's for $100ish. With 08 plastic and bumper combo it takes one minor bump or a bad front end lift and it's all broken. Not to mention that the wide body doesn't perform as well in super deep snow.

You will very quickly get used to either sled 155 or 163 with just some seat time. After two or three rides it won't matter on track length. The IQ RAW chassis and new PRO are very very close in felt handling when the only factoring difference is track length between 163 and 155. Setup can make all the difference in the world.

Those ryde coil over shocks are actually a better performing suspension component then the WE airs while they are new and still working correctly. They weigh a bit more but generally speaking you get a better ride and and handling from those for a longer period of time.

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to having one of these in my garage soon! Just waiting to look at them both then decide unless of course something comes up in the meantime that is a better deal. Appreciate all your comments, thanks.
EF

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
New horse...

Almost hate to throw this into the mix but how would an 08 Cat M8 Sno Pro compare to the RMK and Dragon sleds? Got a good price on one here and just wondering if it is worth it for a few more miles. How many miles is too man on a 3 or 4 year old sled??? Thanks,
EF

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
the m sleds are very nice sleds. for me they are an easy switch from the IQ to the M. the cat guys will probably tell you different. definitely more power with the M8. in general you will have more clutching issues the the iq and the diamond drive was a little week that year. for specific issues try the cat section. being that it is a few years old people will know and be honest for the the things to watch out for.

pv

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I've spent a little time on a couple misc M8's but they were newer. Don't really know enough to tell you if there is a significant year to look for but I could live with the ones that I was on. Little different feel and not quite as manageable. (probably because I'm very used to the iq and pro...plus my stuff always has superior suspension setups and these were showroom stock M's)

As far as how many miles is too many miles. I think with sleds you should go along with condition, time, and use versus miles. I and some others can ruin a sled in very short miles just by use or extreme mis-use. Factors like storage, fluids, service, all play an important role. Sleds that live outdoors both trailered and storage live about half as long as sleds that get to ride in an enclosed trailer and heated dry storage. All of that constant moisture throughout is murder to bearings and the elements are hard on everything from metal to plastics.

An engine will easily go for 6000 and up miles without needing any attention if they are fed good fuel and syn oil...esp the polaris 700 twin two stroke.
clutch components normally about half that but depending on upkeep (dirt kills bushings)
tracks are normally good for 5 to 7 thousand miles if maintained and not left the elements or ripped up with mis-use
shocks 3000-4000 miles normal use
suspension and drive bearings 5 thousand and up depending on grease and if the grease gets contaminated with water or grit
chain cases (I do chains every 3000 or sooner if they show wear)
chassis bushings and motor mounts (5 and up depending on use)
electronics normally right along with engine use on the 700 but once again storage and maintenance are critical hear.

Back in the day sleds were simple. Stuff wore out or was broken and you can easily fix them by componant. Now with modern electronics things are a little bit more difficult but basically it's pretty simple machine that can be kept in good running order by a common garage mechanic with a bit of info and go for a long long time. Usually bigger badder better stuff roles out and we replace before they are used up!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
M8 will give you more torque and some more on top. The 700 runs really good on top but sometimes lacks that torque out of the hole. Otherwise my D7 went everywhere all the 800 went, just didn't high mark.

My opinion is that the M chassis is old feeling. Just like the Edge chassis for Polaris. That bathtub style where you feel like you sit low. That's why each year AC would make the seat and handlebars higher. Older M chassis has a lower seat and I think the IQ felt better and more rider forward and up.

Both the M and 700's are very reliable.

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
I have an 08 D7 163" and absolutely love it! As far as torque goes I have it geared down to 19/42 and a Carl's Custom Clutch Kit and to me feels great out of the hole. I go everywhere my buddie's D8's go except mine has never blown a motor :) I have 2300 miles strong on mine.

I don't think you can go wrong with either sled. I changed my plastics and bumper to the '09/'10 front end for $400. I hit a tree with the 08 front end and shattered it and love the updated front end a lot more.

I can't really speak for the WE compared to the Ryde because I've never ridden on the Ryde's but I've never had a problem with my WE's. I'm going to have them rebuilt this fall with the Polaris updated rebuild specs. I don't think for a beginner you would even notice a difference between the shock package. I could be wrong though.

As far as the track goes, I came from a 98 700 RMK 144" and have no trouble at all throwing my 163 around. It's actually way easier to throw around than my old 144. You're going to have a blast this winter man!

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
How do you find the 163 is for carving hard and side hilling? Also wondering where you got your front end kit? Did it come with the a arms as well to redo whole front end? Thanks for your help, tough call for me. The 08 d7 has only about 300 miles on it, almost new.... the 09 has about 1000 so it is a tough call...same price...

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
How do you find the 163 is for carving hard and side hilling? Also wondering where you got your front end kit? Did it come with the a arms as well to redo whole front end? Thanks for your help, tough call for me. The 08 d7 has only about 300 miles on it, almost new.... the 09 has about 1000 so it is a tough call...same price...

For what its worth...I am am a guy this is now in his 50's...went from a 159 Edge too a 155 '08 155 Dragon and kicked my a**...Bought a '09 163 two years later and got back what I was missing..you will not notice any difference in boondocking, tight turns or slidehillling with the 163...now I do go 240 geared up...but even for a 180 pounder i'd go 163...to bad the '09 was not a 163...you could do a conversion??

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
For what its worth...I am am a guy this is now in his 50's...went from a 159 Edge too a 155 '08 155 Dragon and kicked my a**...Bought a '09 163 two years later and got back what I was missing..

There is not that much difference between these sled lengths actually...can't see either kicking your a**. The IQ Raw chassis is much easier to handle than the edge.

159"-155"= 4", or 2" of track length that equals less than 1 paddle on the snow.

163"-155"= 8", or 4" of track length that equals 1 more paddle on the snow.

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Here is the part number for the front end kit: 2876986
Polaris calls it a front bumper/plastics kit. You can get it from any dealer. I found mine online from Ken's Sports. They sold it to me on their website for $379 but then took it off their website and called me and said it was going to be $429 + shipping. Typo apparently. I just said fine and paid the extra (still cheap enough I guess)

It comes with step by step instruction, all the hardware, front bumper, fenders, nosecone, and everything you need. Only tools I needed were: drill with new bit for drilling out rivets, rivet gun (I used a pretty large handled V-style), a couple torx bits (i believe a 25 27 30 somewhere in that range), screw drivers, 10mm socket/ratchet, dykes for removing exhaust springs. It doesn't come with new a-arms. You don't need them unless yours are damaged. Makes the sled look a lot more bad *** IMO and more importantly handle better in deep pow and more durable on the front to small tree collisions. Took me a couple hours and 5 beers or so.

As far as the 163 goes I don't think you'd even notice a difference in handling between the two sleds. I came from a 98 RMK 700 144" and can throw my 163" WAY easier. I have become a lot better rider on it but still the 163" is not too long IMO.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
"There is not that much difference between these sled lengths actually...can't see either kicking your a**. The IQ Raw chassis is much easier to handle than the edge.
"

When I went from the 159 Edge to the 155 dragon, I meant that I kicked my a** for not buying the 163. When I bought my current Dragon I did get the 163. Much happier with the 163 over the 155.

Premium Features