• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

95 summit 583 pros and cons?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'd think you'd be lucky to hit 110hp. Around 105-110hp in stock form. Maybe they made more but not by much.
As far as the chassis goes, various ways. Best and most cost effective would be to ride her stock until you can upgrade and put all your money into something newer.
However, if you are stuck on making this thing run...
New rear suspension, doesn't matter what, buy any '03+ Polaris, Cat, Ski-Doo suspension and track. You'll be in love.
Skis are definately needing an upgrade if stock.
Drop and Roll is a nice mod but takes quite a bit. New tunnel might be worthwhile if it's an option for you. Nothing fancy, just a stock tunnel off of soemthing newer.
Seat and steering is also needed. Get rid of the stock seat and fuel tank and swap for something again, more contemporary. Way higher steering post and handlebars will make a world of difference.
Newer plastics also help with going through the deep snow and keep that machine from plowing like they used to. S-Schassis plastics bolt right up. ZX plastics will work but shock towers are higher, if you build a couple brackets you could swap for a set of ZX front shocks and bring the front end up to meet the rear.
But in all actuality,
Compression test, complete overhaul of clutches, new chain and gears(gonna wanna gear it down if stock) Check jackshaft/driveshaft bearings. Steering joints and bushings. Then I'd swap a tunnel/rear skid/track/skis at the same time. Seat/tank/steering would be second phase. Then plastics and front shocks would finish the sled off at that point. Then a total refresh of the motor to make it dependable. Install UFO's in the carbs and prolly remove the airbox and run pods to clean up the engine compartment. Ceramic coat the stock pipe(unless you can find a set of Jaws or Fast twins.) swap cans for something lighter.

As you can see, the possibilities are endless but focus on reliablility and durability on a sled 15 years old. Don't want to add power just to have a bearing give or chain break when you finally get out there to have some fun.

X
Sep 22, 2010
MT
The summit with 35mm carbs is only about 90hp. It can make the 110 with the 40mm carbs and maybe more with some porting. The some major issues I see with the 95 583 is the heavy bulkhead. The easy and less expensive issues to change are the rear suspension, stock can, and skis. On my 95 I changed the skis, rear skid, drivers, and track. You can only run the 1 1/4" paddle track with the stock drivers anything taller and a drop and roll, or 8 tooth drivers are required to gain needed clearance. I would not bother changing out the tunnel unless it is an early steel tunnel or you really enjoy fabrication work. All in all it is not a bad sled, but it is older and becoming difficult to get parts for. Because of that I would not do a whole lot of expensive involved mods to it, just minimal cost ones to make it more comfortable to ride.

M
Sep 29, 2013
If at all possible try to find one of the adboivin suspension kits for that sled I have the same sled with nothing more than a can milled head 1 3/4 136 track raised bars and a recoil off of a 03 summit 800 so I could stop breaking rope but I absolutely love my f chassis sled especially for the looks I get from people with it its great rides like a dream oh I also put skis off of an s chassis to ditch the steels and meet to get a low windshield for it

H
gonna bring back the f2000 583 summit back to life, found a well worn 670 to put in there,the .040 wiseco prolite hac delete smooth bored carbs gutted air box have served it well,man i forgot how good the ppp can sounds

snow 011.jpg snow 012.jpg

Premium Features