• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 700 RMK vs 2009 M8 153

P
Dec 3, 2007
I'm debating between these two sleds. Has anyone had a chance to ride both back to back in the same conditions, or own both? How do they compare in terms of power, handling, flotation, and general deep snow mobility. My riding is a mix of playing in the powder and hillclimbing, with some trail riding as well. Thanks in advance for any input!

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I would tell you to buy the polaris, just because of the fact I can't ride the Artic cat worth a crap. But all bs aside I would buy the sled that feels best to you. I know I love my 700, good power, and floats awesome. Oh ya, the 09' cat is a ball smasher big time. If you sit down at all going down the bumpy trail. Lastly I would buy the sled that has the best dealer nearest you, one that will help you out when needed. (Polaris is the best!)

C
Dec 26, 2008
I'm debating between these two sleds. Has anyone had a chance to ride both back to back in the same conditions, or own both? How do they compare in terms of power, handling, flotation, and general deep snow mobility. My riding is a mix of playing in the powder and hillclimbing, with some trail riding as well. Thanks in advance for any input!

I've ridden my 700 Dragon and an M7 back to back. I like how my sled feels better, but some of that is because I'm used to it. I like the CFI 700 better than the Suzuki 700 in the M7, but since you're looking for an 800 that may not matter. I think they are pretty similar feeling as far as rid-ability and handling. I didn't like the seat height on the M7 - I'd get the taller 2010 seat if I had one.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Best dealer IMO, but I will say the front suspension is more durable on the Polaris, less parts, and less expensive parts, Yes I've not only ridden both but wrecked both. :D

Both ride nice, the track on the Cat is better for all around IMO. But I love my Polaris in the handling dept. To carve a turn it takes less rider input. Not necessarilly a good thing for everybody. If you ride an XP or a Cat and get on a Polaris your quite likely to end up on your top right away the first time you carve a powder turn.

Both are awesome on boost but the Cat gets better results from minor mods than the Polaris and starts out just a touch ahead in the HP dept, but is more difficult to get to the ground IMO. A good Cat tuner can get amazing gains just in the clutching dept. Don't get me wrong an equally good Polaris tuner can get a lot out of them too, I just think that in stock vs stock form there's more left on the table to be easilly had with the Cat.

Realisticly it all comes down to the Dealer and your personal preferance of "Feel".

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
In yellowstone we rented 2 08 RMK 700s and a M8, I switched back and forth and the RMK got the winning vote by us. For Pow carving the RMK takes alot less effort and can turn tighter,we drag raced on a long flat area and the RMK won every time. We switched sleds and the results were always the same.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
It all depends on what you want to do. If your big into climbing than the 09 M8 is far better and responds to mods much better, heck the slp pipe is good for 10-15hp on the M8. I have rode my buddies 09 dragon 800 and it is a great sled but my 09 M8 handles every bit as good, except on the trail, and the powerclaw climbs better in the deep powder. Get an 09 M8 and put the 2010 cat seat on it.

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
I left you a response on the "M series" forum... I do agree with Sledmax about the steering effort. I understand ski's are a popular upgrade for an M.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
XC did hit the nail on the head. Both sleds are great, and I love my RMK. However I'm going to put a 153" Powerclaw track on mine. The skis on the RMK are better then the cats. I have ridden the m8 in deep powder and even though its harder to get on its side, it will float on top easier. It all comes down to which dealer you rather deal with.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I have the 700 Dragon and my main riding buddy has the 09 M8. If my financial picture was just a little bit better I would be riding an M8 this year, hands down. The only "plus" to the polaris is that the throttle response is snappier, but that is misleading as to overall power as the m8 holds speed much better on hillclimbs. When we line up for a hill and take off its nearly a dead heat then we hit the hill and the m8 just seems to maintain speed and I seem to just slow down and he marks me by alot. The powerclaw is better then the 5.1 in every department. Boondocking and downhill turning the m8 is way predictable and does what you want when you want, the dragon is easy to turn yes but not in a predictable fashion, it likes to lay back down on its skis on slow sidehills, and downhill it will go straight downhill on its side until you apply an alarming amount of throttle and then hook suddenly nearly slinging you off. The m8 again is predictable and easy. Uphill the m8 stays on-line and stable unless you choose to turn, the polaris is knocked off-line and is all over the place unstable as a one legged table. I don't understand how a machine can be unstable and not turn but that is what a stock RMK is. I am doing alot of mods to my RMK to try and make it handle more like the M8. OH YEAH! and I almost forgot the wet noodle A-arms of the Polaris! I bent about five or six last year, to zero m8 A-arms (and that included one tree shot that I thought totaled his bulkhead!) I know I need my flame suit now but those are my impressions after many many miles of riding both machines in all kinds of snow conditions and alot of trees.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
I like the M8 better in real tight technical tree riding, you can take off in the powder better without getting stuck. The rmk is way better going down the trail, has better skis and a better seating position for most riding. It all comes down to the best dealer and rider preference. If you do much trail riding I would go with the rmk and if Boondocking in powder is your primary ride the I would lean toward the M. Personally I like Both! But hey I still like my old edge 144 so what do I know..............

Premium Features