• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Opinions and Comparison, 153" std P.Claw to 153" HCR Power Claw

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I am looking for a good lightweight track for my sled for next season and I'm seriously considering the powerclaw tracks. In a NON turbo application.

The two that I'm considering are:

1) 153" Standard, 80 durometer, Power Claw
2) 153" HCR, 90 durometer, Power Claw

How has the HCR track performed in the bottomless powder? Is is it trencher?

How are the std P.Claws performing in the spring snow and on decent downhill's?

Overall, what are the impressions of these tracks...

I'm would be especially interested in hearing from someone who has a snowpro AND a HCR in the trailer:D

I'm really looking for comparisons of the HCR and Std Power Claw... and don't want to turn this into a Pizzing contest over which brand or type is best. (Thanks)

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Best way would be to ride those two sled's with same length track,,, if possible.You will get all kinds of answers. Neither one is perfect, still read on hear that some like the camo extreme better. Depends on what snow conditions you ride most. The HCR track seems to have been developed for harder snow conditions so, take it from there.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey i have a 09 HCR, i love the Pclaw it is an amazing track:D. I had it to the mountains once this year and it preformed awesome, i live in Alberta (flatlander) and the track preforms the best on harder packed snow. Don't get me wrong it preformed great at revy on the pow, it doesn't trench bad at all. I had a camoplast on my 07 M8 before and that this could dig a trench to china, but i was truly amazed at how it worked in the mountains. Some people say it is out of control on the downhill part, but i didn't find this at all. I went down some steep stuff and in the trees too, but it was no different then my old sled i found on the downhill part. But that is just my 2 cents on the 90 Duro I love the track.:beer;:beer;

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
This is what i heard from a reputable individual. This person was riding an 09 M8(80 duro) with the SLP perf kit. His friend was running a pump gas turbo HCR (90 duro) Supposedly, the 80 duro was holding its own in the powder climbs against the 90. He said by no means was he pulling him but he was definately competing. Again, this is in the soft powder. He said that it was no competition in harder snow. I hope my heresay helps. Everyone I have talked to says go with the 80. Good luck

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have two 80 duro sleds, and just got a 90 duro hcr. Even in the stiff spring snow I've noticed more spinning of the 90 duro, and poor braking. Overall I'm much happier with the 80 duro tracks.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Idaho, When you say it was no competition on the harder snow, What do you mean? The 80 had the advantage or the 90?

Mike

S

smv sledhead

Nov 26, 2007
SE Idaho
My Dad and I both have M8's. Mine is a SnoPro LE; his is an HCR. Both 153". The biggest difference we see in the two tracks is when you turn around and go downhill. Mine is a lot slower, where his is OC. I think it's becaouse the HCR track is so stiff that it catches snow between the paddles and they don't give at all and you lose surface area from the track to the snow. The SnoPro track gives and folds back and allows you to slow down more. I think we are going to switch his track for the softer one. Just my two bits.

S
Feb 21, 2009
hcr

Thanks for the input so far...Please keep it coming

Have hcr 90 and it is working great.On hard pack, slush, corn, crud,to bullit proof the claw always hooks up.I ride mostly with doo's and the challenger extreme.The claw seems to stay on top better leaving less of a trench in most places.As far as the brakin goes, it does not matter when your coming down the stuff these new sleds get you into, it is a power slide anyway!I went with the 90 duro for varible conditions because that is was is mostly being ridin.It has never let me down yet even in the deep.Also rode with the 80 and did not see much difference.That is why went with 90 because the a20 had the fold over problem, but it probably does not matter with the fingers anyway on the new ones it will not get that slipping problem the a20 had on hard snow.Just my opinion, hope this helps

T

TalkAK

Jan 11, 2008
Talkeetna, AK
Rode both 2010 M8 and HCR, about 20 miles each. Spring conditions. In the morning, hard frozen snow and trails, the HCR felt slippery, neither is made for this condition. In the mountains, the HCR dug in a bit quicker but performed very well. On harder packed snow the HCR had the edge, IMO. I ride the mountains and look for soft and deep. I went with the Sno Pro.

S
Feb 21, 2009
slippery

If snow is hard enough ,anything will slip alittle.Compared is a20 it's nothing to worry about.Like going backwards holding the throttle pinned, down right scarey.I ride and perfer soft snow also....

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Std PC vs HCR PC

mountainhorse,

Have you recieved a PM from DUB on this subject; he installed the Std PC and has a season of test riding on it?

I am planing on installing the CE or the Std PC on my sled this summer and have been following the thread to see the results.

Great thread. Keep the posts coming for those of us on the fence. :beer;,

akrevrider

Premium Features