• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

helmet? Klim F5 or 509 altitude carbon?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Never tried the 509, but I've got an F5.. incredibly light, tons of venting. maybe too much, for cold weather? There is an included "weather cap" that eliminates much of that I'm told.
Can't speak to that yet, I just purchased it this past summer for dirt bike season here (we get well above 35*c etc).
For my head, anyways, fits fantastic. Nice thing is you can tailor it to yourself, with different sized cheek pads etc.. So maybe a medium shell will work for you with one size smaller on the cheek pads kind of idea...

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have the F5 and yes the head sock is much needed for the chilly rides-easy removable to wash-
I did get to tailor it to my liking with the cheek pads at the place where I bought it from at the Denver Snow show- so that is an option if you ask.... When you spend big bucks on the lighter than air helmets, need to get all options that are available to get it to fit just right.

Last edited:

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Wouldn’t rule out other brands either if neither of those fit well. I tried 509 and Klim on at sled snow, went with Klim F5 because I thought the fit and finish looked better than the 509. Never loved the F5 fit. I tried a Troy lee SE4 and was tight on forehead. Finally needed up with bell moto 9 Flex and it is so comfy compared to those others I’ve mentioned (for me) Plus cold weather kit available for it. I know you might be set on one of those, but consider the comfort for your head as well as safety while also considering the cool factor.

L. Perry

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2015
Love my F5. Has to be very cold for me to use windstopper liner. Had a 509 and did not like how it fit. My son uses it and it fits him well. Klim is lighter.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
Love my F5. Has to be very cold for me to use windstopper liner. Had a 509 and did not like how it fit. My son uses it and it fits him well. Klim is lighter.

I agree, if you can find the non altitude 509 in carbon fiber they are as good as the F5 only warmer. If it’s cold I wear the 509 and above 10 the Klim. My F5 has gotten me frost bit on my cheeks, even with Klim goggles there are plenty of gaps. Great when themps are in the double digits but not warm at all when it’s cold.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Have a F5. Fit was better, so was the FOV with Klim goggles. I can make it was warm as needed with options and facemasks, everyone is different, and needs to find their combo for face shape and cold tolerance. Light enough, also wore out an AXO MM Carbon, Euro version, that's 100g lighter - nothing like a light helmet for all day comfort, day after day. Purposely avoided Klim heavy helmets until the F5, no regrets now.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I just went through this exact decision process: 509 Altitude Carbon or Klim F5. At first I wanted the 509. It was light, seemed to fit well and I figured it would match up with my 509 goggles well. I also had a deal on the 509 from a dealer buddy for basically cost.

I tried on the F5 and noticed the helmet is taller inside. The 509 felt like it stopped before reaching my jawline (my head is tall and thin). The F5 had better coverage around my head, is so damn light and I was able to dial in the fit with the cheek pads as others mentioned.

Bottom line, both great helmets and fit is the most important (obviously). Can't go wrong with either I suppose.

I wish the F5 had a top visor screw for a gopro mount. I couldn't decide where to mount mine and went upside down on the visor just above eye level.

pankyy340

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2012
Wisconsin
Another option to consider is the Fly F2 carbon. I've had several of them and after trying different helmets I keep coming back to the Fly. Nice snug fit without any areas that are too tight and my 509 goggles fit really well.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had a Fly F2 Carbon and it was easily one of the most comfortable helmets I ever had. I cracked it so needed a new lid. The only thing that stopped me from going with another one is that they use the standard helmet strap and it ices up, making it difficult to unlatch.

I think the 509 Carbon and F5 are very different helmets with the same Fidlock. Make sure you try them both on. I was stuck in between sizes on the 509. Couldn't wear it. The X-large F5 fit so I went with it. They are very cold so you need the windproof cap and possibly a balaclava.

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
I just went through this exact decision process: 509 Altitude Carbon or Klim F5. At first I wanted the 509. It was light, seemed to fit well and I figured it would match up with my 509 goggles well. I also had a deal on the 509 from a dealer buddy for basically cost.

I tried on the F5 and noticed the helmet is taller inside. The 509 felt like it stopped before reaching my jawline (my head is tall and thin). The F5 had better coverage around my head, is so damn light and I was able to dial in the fit with the cheek pads as others mentioned.

Bottom line, both great helmets and fit is the most important (obviously). Can't go wrong with either I suppose.

I wish the F5 had a top visor screw for a gopro mount. I couldn't decide where to mount mine and went upside down on the visor just above eye level.

I have the same issue with the 509 lids. Too bad. I like the helmets.

Also gonna add another for f2 carbon, happy with mine.

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
Looking for a new helmet. Need to drive an hour plus to try them on. Anyone with experience with either?

Have the Klim F5, and am very pleased with it. I use the "wind stopper sock" as we ride 9 to 11k. Helmet is super light and very comfortable and plenty warm with the sock and a light balaclava. :present:

Premium Features