• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mods for zx 700

M
Dec 1, 2011
Fairview, MT
Alright I'm new to the sled mod thing. I have a 2000 skidoo zx 700 stretched to a 151 is all stock besides risers,scratchers, and can. What are the best and easy mods to make this sled run to its best. Clutching, chassis mods, ect. Thanks

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
O where to start... :)!

The bar riser is a great mod already. On all my zx's i pulled the stock radius rods off the front end and made my own with swiveling ball joint ends (eyelet type). These free up the front suspension tremendously! Take out the sway bar in the front if not done already too, way easier for sidehilling. Upgrade the front skis to pilot 6.9s or simmons dual carbides for better flotation and handling. Could upgrade front shocks to HPGs. I reworked my top shock mounts to raise the front of the sled 1.5" to keep it from plowing in the deep pow. The running boards need bigger holes punched in them to avoid buildup. I also rolled mine out and put newer REV chasis edges on them for better traction and more foot room. Also installed Gold finger lefty throttles. Im sure im forgetting a lot! 700s are tough motors. maybe install some boyeson ragecages or v force 3 reeds for performance. Have fun and God Bless!

Josh

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho

The bar riser is a great mod already. On all my zx's i pulled the stock radius rods off the front end and made my own with swiveling ball joint ends (eyelet type). These free up the front suspension tremendously! Take out the sway bar in the front if not done already too, way easier for sidehilling. Upgrade the front skis to pilot 6.9s or simmons dual carbides for better flotation and handling. Could upgrade front shocks to HPGs. I reworked my top shock mounts to raise the front of the sled 1.5" to keep it from plowing in the deep pow. The running boards need bigger holes punched in them to avoid buildup. I also rolled mine out and put newer REV chasis edges on them for better traction and more foot room. Also installed Gold finger lefty throttles. Im sure im forgetting a lot! 700s are tough motors. maybe install some boyeson ragecages or v force 3 reeds for performance. Have fun and God Bless!

Josh

Any pictures of the radius rod you made?

M
Dec 1, 2011
Fairview, MT
Alright Awesome. whats a good track length for one of these? i have a 151 under it now but i feel like it needs to be longer.. I forgot i put the better board inserts in and a lh throttle on. how did you raise your front end up 1.5"? how much is the hpg shock upgrade? Thanks :)

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
Here's a pic of the top shock bracket. I basically cut the stock bracket in half and swapped top half with bottom half and re welded. I bolted it to a stock bracket while welding to keep the holes in line.

Josh

image.jpg

M
Dec 1, 2011
Fairview, MT
Alright awesome!! thanks alot man really appreciate it. i really like the look of long tunnel but love my zx. what could i do? i also wanna stick a 154 under it. what all do i have to do? any suggestions? and a big wheel kit?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Alright awesome!! thanks alot man really appreciate it. i really like the look of long tunnel but love my zx. what could i do? i also wanna stick a 154 under it. what all do i have to do? any suggestions? and a big wheel kit?

You would have to change drivers from the 2.5" pitch to a 2.8" pitch that the 154 has. Also you may have to roll the chain case to fit the taller lugs of the 154. I had a lot done to my 01 800 and loved that sled, but it doesn't compare to these newer ones. Save your money, ride this 700 into the ground and then look for a newer ride. Best bet it to get it clutched good and drop as much weight as possible.

A
Dec 16, 2013

The running boards need bigger holes punched in them to avoid buildup. I also rolled mine out and put newer REV chasis edges on them for better traction and more foot room.
Josh

Will you explain more of what you did to your boards? Maybe some pics as well? Especially if you had some in progress pics of the work?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
A higher seat saves your knees. A great add-on to compliment the risers.
The hood weighs a ton, find an aftermarket hood, ditch the speedo(if it has one).
Skis are a big benefit too. I was always prone to go with Simmons on the ZX's. Just liked em more than anything else. Altho I sold tons of Pilot 6.9's to folks and they loved them too.
Clutch it, and gear it. Buy a kit from someone reputable and that knows your area, snow conditions, etc. RoosterBuilt is a deadly name when it comes to set-ups. Search for him on here.(Stick with guys that live in the West, for your best bet. I'm sure others have stumbled on set-ups, but you're more likely to get a bulletproof setup from someone out West)
And maintenance! Make sure bearings and bushings aren't about to ruin a day of sledding for you!

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
Here's a shot of the boards. I used a channel lock pliers and vice grips to evenly unroll the factory boards. Then Got rev(I think) edges from dealer and cut the rolled out board to match the new edge. Pop rivet in place.

Josh

image.jpg

Premium Features