• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building a low rent 95 Mach 1 for asphalt. Got questions

J
Feb 21, 2010
Top of the BlackHills
As the tile 'sez, I'm building a low rent 95 Mach 1 for asphalt.
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but my questions are particulare to this build. I'm experianced with a couple of seasons as a hired gun on an asphalt sled (green) but didn't do any work on it, so it's not my first rodeo. This sled will be for a sled series that runs as a support class with a dragbike series that I also race in.
What I have gathered so far is a used 10.5 121" slick track (free and in good usable condition), A set of Wahl Dros. asphalt skis (new and also free) A '95 670 Mach1 with union bay twin pipes and silencers (real cheap) in fair condition. I've also purchased a Dyna DRL300cdi rev box for a two step style launch, and 4 sets of extra idlers
Now my questions What to do about the drivers. With the 3" pitch track and 10.5 width, what do I need to do to make this work on the stock twin shock skid. I know I need to tie the skid down. My thought was to eliminate the shocks and put spring stuts with 1" of travel on in their place. With 8 extra wheels, is this enough and do I need a set on the tips of the rails like anti stab kit wheels. Slides are removed per the rules.
This sled doesn't need to be fast, just consistant. It's bracket racing
Any other Ideas would be welcome.

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
Asphalt Racing

As the tile 'sez, I'm building a low rent 95 Mach 1 for asphalt.
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but my questions are particulare to this build. I'm experianced with a couple of seasons as a hired gun on an asphalt sled (green) but didn't do any work on it, so it's not my first rodeo. This sled will be for a sled series that runs as a support class with a dragbike series that I also race in.
What I have gathered so far is a used 10.5 121" slick track (free and in good usable condition), A set of Wahl Dros. asphalt skis (new and also free) A '95 670 Mach1 with union bay twin pipes and silencers (real cheap) in fair condition. I've also purchased a Dyna DRL300cdi rev box for a two step style launch, and 4 sets of extra idlers
Now my questions What to do about the drivers. With the 3" pitch track and 10.5 width, what do I need to do to make this work on the stock twin shock skid. I know I need to tie the skid down. My thought was to eliminate the shocks and put spring stuts with 1" of travel on in their place. With 8 extra wheels, is this enough and do I need a set on the tips of the rails like anti stab kit wheels. Slides are removed per the rules.
This sled doesn't need to be fast, just consistant. It's bracket racing
Any other Ideas would be welcome.

Jayp,
Give a call, eve is best, always willing to help out a new racer especially on the asphalt circuit, Believe me I have plenty of hours logged on the NHRA national circuit onboard Ski Doo, Launch electronics are not the way to go,
Do not get rid of the rear shocks for a strut option, will not be consistant!
I can discuss some rear skid setups as we ran that style skid at the NHRA
Nationals in 1995 at Brainerd Minnesota working with the factory race mechanics,

Dave Trygstad
507-281-3545
http://trygstad-motorsports.com

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Figure out some way to jet it easily. Variflow, tempaflow, dialajet, powerjet. Something like that. These things are going to be key to consistant in the heat of the summer. You could have 100 one day and 60 the next. That motor is going to run like a dog at 100 if it is jetted for 60.

Premium Features