• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX/SSI Titanium jackshaft installing problems

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
The splines on the new jackshaft seems to be too long on the chaincase side.
I have C3 belt drive and here is some pictures.
The last pic is showing when the gear is lined up.
Somebody who knows what is going on here?

IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0791.jpg IMG_0793.jpg

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
The splines on the new jackshaft seems to be too long on the chaincase side.
I have C3 belt drive and here is some pictures.
The last pic is showing when the gear is lined up.
Somebody who knows what is going on here?

Looks like a 4 stroke jackshaft with mechanical reverse

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Is titanium the way to go ? I though high carbon steel was tougher? Heavier but seems this shaft is a weak spot. Any input?

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
That is what I suspected, even I dont know how the 4 stroke axle looks like. I would try to get a hold of BDX again, did not get any response on the email I sent a week ago.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Machine a spacer that fits between the washer and the top sprocket and you should be able to use that shaft, correct? Since you are in Europe that would save you a lot of down time and money. IMO

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007

if they sent you the wrong shaft they need to send you the right one.

if they want the old one back its on their dime

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
if they sent you the wrong shaft they need to send you the right one.

if they want the old one back its on their dime

I am one of the three guys that bought the axle from this thread

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397024&highlight=titanium

Is titanium the way to go ? I though high carbon steel was tougher? Heavier but seems this shaft is a weak spot. Any input?

I did not bought this axle because of extra strength, but because of weight loss and extra support in the splines for the top gear. I am building a fully carbon fiber sled and everything needs to be lightweight.

Machine a spacer that fits between the washer and the top sprocket and you should be able to use that shaft, correct? Since you are in Europe that would save you a lot of down time and money. IMO

I would also then need to make a spacer behind the gear, because if not, it will travel on the splines and then hit the chaincase housing.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
They said something about a spacer cup or something in that thread. . Maybe you need that

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
I think that is just if I were using a 12-13 bearing, and I then would need a 14-15? But I am not using either, I have the bearing from C3 because of the belt drive.

P
Nov 29, 2007
Norway
"It's the right one. U need a cup shaped retainer on the end. For that sprocket.
We can make them."

Got answer.
Still going to need a spacer behind gear. And I dont want to have the axle unnecessary long, so thinking to cut down the axle and then use a washer at the end.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
I also got one of those 3 ti shafts they had. Worked fine with my tki belt drive on a 15 HCR. Only thing I needed to do was make a deeper cupped washer for the end cause the splines were longer. From what I was told they made the splines longer so you had full engagement of the pulley on the splines.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
I also got one of those 3 ti shafts they had. Worked fine with my tki belt drive on a 15 HCR. Only thing I needed to do was make a deeper cupped washer for the end cause the splines were longer. From what I was told they made the splines longer so you had full engagement of the pulley on the splines.

i am the third one that have that ti shaft . i machine/cut to install in chain case . fit nicely

Do either of you have many miles on them yet? Will they hold up to a beating?

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
How are the ti shafts holding up? And how do you get the stock shaft out of the chaincase bearing? I'm beating the crap out of it & it isn't budging.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
How are the ti shafts holding up? And how do you get the stock shaft out of the chaincase bearing? I'm beating the crap out of it & it isn't budging.

Mine has about 1000 miles of abuse on it with a 180hp sled and no issues. I had to remove both clutches and take the torque plate out and pull the whole thing out the clutch side. Then press the clutch side bearing out and press it on the new shaft. What year sled are you installing it on?

Premium Features