• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX intake with mesh hood

A
i just purchased a BDX intake with a skinz mesh hood. does anyone know if i actually need to put the holes in the bumper like they say to do? does the mesh hood give enough venting without the holes in the bumper?

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
Hey

My buddy runs a skinz hood on a m8 with a cone over the stock intake, and it has run good for over 1000 miles. If I was you I would return the bdx intake and run the cone over stock intake. The bdx will have more surface area for air intake, and you will save maybe a pound or two, but it will run fine with stock intake box with cone over it. Would you run the bdx with a vented cover, or no cover?

A
here is the deal, i crashed my M7 and messed up the bumper and hood pretty bad. i ordered a Skinz hood with a new bumper and BD-X intake. with the skinx hood i need a intake so i figured the bdx is the best choice. just need to know if i need to actually modify my bumper with the holes and mesh vents the instructions say i need, or can i scratch those and just use the venting from the mesh hood to get enough air into the intake? thanks for the reply, i wish it was that easy, but my stock hood is toast.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I vented my nose cone, and its worth it to get that blast of cold air coming through them for sure. I'v poked one hole in 500 miles and patched with a little frogskinz vent. I put two additional frogskinz vents by the shocks also. I have a gauge cage, 3 more console vents, side vents, 2 vents in each shock tower, and numerous added vents in my hood, so it gets plenty of hot air out, and cold air in for sure. The skinz hood is a huge vent, so you should be fine without venting your nosecone. I know a couple people running a bdx intake without there nosecone vented, and they seem fine. I just wanted all the cold air possible.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
The BDX intake with mesh hood is a good combo. Keep this in mind, you will eventually poke something through one of the many holes. If you notice during a ride, tape will fix temporarily. Or just wait to fix with some silicone not that big of a deal.

I have ran a Diamond S for years, Scott's hoods have a plenum built into the hood, this works good. I prefer the bdx overall.

S

siphor

Sep 9, 2009
In deep powder and slow tree riding you will still build heat and suck hot Ir with the mesh hood. Drill out the nose and run the top plate on the box

Premium Features