• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Polaris 800 non PERC motor in 04 chasis with PERC CDI?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I have an 03 non reverse motor with non reverse stator and flywheel going into an 04 escape chasis and was hoping to use the 04 reverse compatible cdi box. Should this work?

I thought it would but sounded real bad when I fired it up this weekend for the first time.

Can I use it on a 03 motor with stator and flywheel that is NOT reverse compatible or should I use the 03 cdi box which I still have?

Thanks

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I believe you have to use the 03 cdi box. Or you could find the stator and flywheel from an 04 800 PERC engine, that way you can have reverse.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
If it is a "true" '03 motor with all the correct parts, then the '04 PERC CDI will be a "plug and play" situation - the flywheel and stator will be the same. The '03 even came with a reverse-compatible oil pump, PERC was an accessory you could order right out of the catalog. Take a peek at the motor and post the flywheel part number - should end in "677". If the motor really is older than '03, then the flywheel isn't compatible with PERC and the conversion gets a bit more complicated (but still possible).

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

Non Perc flywheel has a different degree of timing I beleive. One is like 14 degrees and the other is 18. You can go with a Perc flywheel and then you would have Perc. I have a 02 CDI that you could also use but you won't have reverse. The wire harnes between the CDI and the chassis is also different. You would need one of a non Perc to plug into this 02 CDI. Not sure if you can change the timing on the stator enough to compensate for the timing difference.

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
I did a 02 motor a couple years ago, had to change the flywheel as stated earlier, the recoil pawl is different had to change that, oil pump, wiring harness, cdi, team secondary, I bought the flywheel used, the pawl was five bucks from polaris, oil pump new was 194 if I remember right, and the rest I bought in kit form on Ebay- was around 200, dont know what they are bringing now, you should be able to check the oil pump and see if it pumps both ways, I just made a socket to verify this on mine with a drill. worked great no issues

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Guys, thanks big time for all the advice and input.

I need check out the part numbers on the current flywheel and stator to make sure I am clear on exactly what I have now. It's possible the motor is the 02 because it seems to be not a complete "plug and play" deal at this time. The main big white plastic plug from the stator seems to match up perfectly as do the 2 3 wire plugs that also come up from the stator but I have this one plug left over from the CDI box that has no matching plug. Its the bottom short plug with the green and white wire. See photo below.....any ideas what that is supposed to be for?

IMG00097-20110802-1936.jpg
[/IMG]

I know the oil pump and the CDI/wire harness I have now is the 04 and both are reverse compatible.

I'm kinda kooky about parts that do not mix and match so I think I may just buy a new reverse compatible 04 stator and flywheel so that way everything (stator, flywheel, cdi harness and wires, wires from the chasis) matches the way it should. Heck, I will even have reverse.....do I get that goofly beeping noise when its in reverse?:whoo:

A pain of a detour and a bit of a setback but what the heck.

Cant wait to get it all finished though....should be a nice little package when it is all finished.

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Here's kinda a bummer...........the part numbers on both the CDI boxes I have do not pop up anywhere on the Polaris on-line parts manual. Maybe the local dealer can tell me what the current part numbers are.

Once i get a chance to check the part numbers for the stator and flywheel I will see if I can track them down with the on-line parts manual.

Guess what I've learned. I've learned that I'm never again buying a motor that isnt configured for the chasis. Between plumbing and electrical issues what a pain in the azz.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

As Fastlane mentioned, no need for a different stator. I beleive the green wire plug is for the DET sensor. On the 04s there is a spot in the underside of the head for that sensor. You can run the 02 without it. Polaris does not "beep" in reverse. They have a light in the tach that comes on that is labeled reverse.

Part number for the 04 DET CDI is 2202522, not sure how they marks them. Polaris used to include the wiring diagram in the owners manual but after 02 they stopped. Now you have to go to the service manual. That's wher you can confirm what that connector is.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You can just check the flywheel, it will say either 14 or 18 degree on it and then you will know.

To use that CDI you will have to have a DET sensor or it won't function properly.

sled_guy

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
If it turns out you have an '02 flywheel (14 degree), it is possible to adjust the stator to accomodate - there is "just" enough adjustment available (max advance, I think). However, if you want to advance the timing beyond the stock setting, then your only option is to swap the flywheel

Ztiggi

Lifetime Membership
Sep 28, 2010
Norway
If it turns out you have an '02 flywheel (14 degree), it is possible to adjust the stator to accomodate - there is "just" enough adjustment available (max advance, I think). However, if you want to advance the timing beyond the stock setting, then your only option is to swap the flywheel

I did this too when i mounted PERC. checked the timing after, it was correct.

Premium Features