• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Have you seen this avalanche airbag?

What do you think about these new airbags??

• They would be more effective.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • They would be the same in effectiveness.

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • They would be less effective.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • They look stupid, and I would be embarrased to own one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • probably still too expensive.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Airbags are for cars.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Lori from Zacs Tracs told me about this airbag system, and I ran accross this website. Check it out.

http://www.snowpulse.ch/v3/fr/video.php

I guess this has it's pros, and cons...

Pros:
  • Lighter
  • more compact
  • refillable
  • protects head
  • keeps head above snow better (ABS, you are face down and grinding rocks and stumps)
Cons:
  • Availability
  • not easy to try to escape while still on sled
  • size of pack
I think it could be a more effective in a lot more ways than the ABS, what are your opinions?

Anyone know if they are comparable in costs to the ABS?

I started a poll to see what everyone thinks.

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
i think they would probably be just as effective. Volume and surface area are similar and your still floating on the top I would think. If you did get knocked out, it seems like this style would act more like the orange life vests that keep your face out of the water, or snow in this case.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I'm curious if it has any place for shovel/probe or much other gear. Being fairly new to the scene, my sons and I carry enough stuff for a night or two out just because we are riding new/unknown areas all the time.

I'm still haunted by that story last year or before from the SW'er that went off the cliff after a pull and was separated from his sled with a broken leg overnight. Since that story I have felt the need to carry a few provisions just incase. With that in mind, the Escape 30 is working good for us, its all we've ever known so size/weight is not that big a deal.

That said, if you were riding well known terrain in a local group all the time, I bet that pack leaves you felling a lot better at the end of the day as would a vario/freeride. The head & neck protection does look nice, and if buried maybe the probing would pop it giving you some air and room.

It looked like it was being refilled by a scuba tank, if so, that would be nice but not an everyday event. I wonder about the function ability of frozen air valves (if thats what it is) vs Co2 or other compressed gasses.

I would like to hear some more from Snowbigdeal and others on here that are in the know. Great post, good on Lori and MARCUSO.

PS, Here we go, I said "Good on MARCUSO" again. LOL, just kiddin man (putting worm can lid back on securely).

Last edited:

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I hope they can make it as a company and I think competition will be good for the industry. The airbag has a couple flaws in it that they are working on fixing right now. It's been a couple months since I talked with them, so I can't remember exactly, but there was something that caused the airbag not to deploy in some cases. Once they get that fixed, I think it will work comparable to the ABS. Unfortunately, the price of the airbag is going to be about the same as the ABS.

My own opinion is that the company is still several years behind ABS, but if they can survive they will have a good product.

Here is a video of one of our employees trying it out. It was taken with a camera phone, so the quality isn't that great and the only format that I have it in is for realplayer. If someone wants to convert it to a more common filetype, that's fine by me.
http://www.snowbigdeal.com/personal/snowpulse.3gp

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I have a ABS... i think the pulse bag is better in a cpl ways.. refillable , better protection of the head... everything else the ABS is better. sj

N
Nov 26, 2007
It is nice to see some one else getting into the game. Hopefully a little competition will bring the prices down a bit. The one thing that sticks out to me is the big looping handle, it seems like that would get hung up on every tree you even came close to?? I do like the design and the attempt to keep your head and neck protected. I hope this works out for them.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If you compare it to the Vario 30 the snowpulse is only 0.6 lbs lighter. The Escape 30 is lighter than both. A 30L pack is a 30L pack so the size stuffed with gear should be about the same. I heard they would be a little cheaper, but time will tell. Quality of construction? Wait and see too.

Part of the logic with the 2 bag system is they will tuck behind you while you try to ride/ski away from the avy. I think the pulse system would limit your mobility and reduce your chances of trying to outrun or get out of the way of the avy. There is no way you could look over your shoulder to see how your escape is going.

Once you're tumbling in the snow they both add 150L of additional volume so they would likely work the same.

Refillable cartridges are a good idea but not a big issue in IMHO. If the cost of replacing cartridges becomes and issue, I've got bigger problems. :eek: Competition is a good thing, should drive the price of both down. More cash for :beer;

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Did you mean the Escape 30 is heavier than both? The escape 30 is 7.1 lbs + about 1lb for the canister. The Vario 30 is 6.6 lbs + about 1lb for the canister. The Snowpulse is 6.6lbs with the canister.

The ABS Airbags are also 170L airbags, whereas the Snowpulse is 150L.

I agree with you that the snowpulse would limit your limit your mobility more so than the ABS.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
the other thing to consider with the snowpulse is "if" you actually do get barried, it's bags slowly deflate over i think 10 mins(?) giving you both more room to move your head and upper body, PLUS more breathable air!!!!!!!!!!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
If you compare it to the Vario 30 the snowpulse is only 0.6 lbs lighter. The Escape 30 is lighter than both. A 30L pack is a 30L pack so the size stuffed with gear should be about the same. I heard they would be a little cheaper, but time will tell. Quality of construction? Wait and see too.

Part of the logic with the 2 bag system is they will tuck behind you while you try to ride/ski away from the avy. I think the pulse system would limit your mobility and reduce your chances of trying to outrun or get out of the way of the avy. There is no way you could look over your shoulder to see how your escape is going.

Once you're tumbling in the snow they both add 150L of additional volume so they would likely work the same.

Refillable cartridges are a good idea but not a big issue in IMHO. If the cost of replacing cartridges becomes and issue, I've got bigger problems. :eek: Competition is a good thing, should drive the price of both down. More cash for :beer;

I think if a person has one of these then they should be more concerned about just pulling the handle and not out-running. There have been a couple of fatalities this year where the rider didn't even pull the handle on their abs. Plus the few complications I have read where people ended up under their sled or the sled was running under the snow tells me to get away from my sled. I think it would be very difficult in a panic situation to take one hand off the handlebars, pull the handle and then look for your escape route.
What I like about this bag is the bag self-deflates over time which theoretically gives you a large breathing space while you wait for someone to dig you out.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
It is about time. This is the exact design that a few of us looked into about 6 years ago. I am glad to finally see it out. Same features too.

I don't think a typical air compressor would refill the canister, but it is a definite plus to be able to refill it. I would be a little concerned about getting the airbags folded correctly after deployment though. I rode last weekend with an un-named person that accidently deployed his bags. It was not cheap to replace them and it took time. It would be nice, if they were accidently deployed, to go the next day and have them refilled or be able to refill them yourself (no downtime from riding).

The neck and front design may hinder your riding abilities, but not everyone rides out of an avy. The protection that it offers to your head, neck, and some to the chest would far out way the hinderances.

I do have a few concerns about the bag with our helmets, but I am sure that it would be fine.

I too would like a bigger pack though. It would be great if they sold this in a version that you could attach onto your current pack. Best of both worlds.

Premium Features