• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant temps

S
Dec 7, 2007
Deer Lodge Montana
First ride yesterday on Beta 480rr. Installing inline temp sensor in the coolant line coming directly out of head ran 220 most all day. I am running PST engine jacket rolled down and Obie Link Guard snow skid plate. Is this too hot or normal for temps coming right from head? Never boiled over all day.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
When i get that hot i stop and either remove something or if i have nothing left to remove i kick some snow on the engine. What kind of conditions? Does that bike have a fan and if so when does it kick in?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
First ride yesterday on Beta 480rr. Installing inline temp sensor in the coolant line coming directly out of head ran 220 most all day. I am running PST engine jacket rolled down and Obie Link Guard snow skid plate. Is this too hot or normal for temps coming right from head? Never boiled over all day.
You sure the stat is opening ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

B
I have pretty much the same motor, hottest I have ever seen it is 224-F.

From what I have seen on the Beta part of Thumpertalk, the bike can be at 220 all day long with no problem.

I have the PST covers on both sides and will be riding/starting with radiator covers on both sides and will hope for my normal 180-220-F.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I mentioned this in another thread. Some friends of mine ride Yami Fxs and were having problems with the bikes running too hot as in 220ish. Their solution was to reduce the size of the bypass line on the Thermobob. When the bypass is too large it moves the coolant past the tstat too quickly for it to reach operating temperature. Reducing the bypass allowed the tstat to open and the temps then dropped to a consistent 175-180 all day long, no more 220 degree trail temps. Anything over 200 seems too hot to me. Pushing coolant isn't a measurement, its already too late at that point.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I had that wrong or my explanation was off. What happens is the Tstat does in fact open properly but because the bypass line is too large too much coolant bypasses the rads even when the stat is open and returns hot coolant directly to the water pump. If you feel the rads they will be just warmish but the bypass line is smoking hot and engine temps are way over 200. The bike won't push coolant because the rads are cool so you must have a temp gauge to see this happening. I'm going to add a valve in the bypass line so I can control the flow. Choking down the bypass a little bit forces the coolant through the rads, no more overheating.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Here is my Thermobob installed with a valve in the bypass. Its a bit hard to see but its in there. The Emperor Racing rad guards are bomber if anybody is in the market.

M5

20171205_160629.jpg

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
Those rad guards look like a nice addition to your YZ m5. As far as temps I am happy running anywhere from 160-190- over 200 I keep a close eye on things.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The problem really shows up in the spring not so much now. I will have the ability to fine tune the bypass volume with this setup. My Tbob is a 176 stat so sub 200 is the goal.

M5

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Nice and clean M5 , here's another choice for a valve for those that can't tuck it as neatly . Any of the shops should have these on hand or get threw WPS .
Looks like a fresh top end :)

IMG_20171206_093344535.jpg

W
So what is the correct temp for a 2015 WR450F? I have the PST jacket and the Thermobob and Saturday my bike seemed to run a fairly consistent 160. That seems cool for having a tstat and an engine jacket not to mention it was a fairly warm day(30-45F). I'm thinking of blocking the smaller radiator to see what kind of temps I get.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
You guys ever check your temps in the summer? I never did till I converted my bike back to wheels and left my temp gauge on the bike it’s over 200 all the time,,450 KTM never misses a beat, I think KTM says they consider Over heating at around 250, mine starts burping around there.

Last edited:

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Jeff at pr2 says coolant temps have different influence based on make of bike. He advised that yz450 makes more power at lower temps than others. Apparently, higher temps in the yami result in some cylinder distortion. He says yamis make best power between 170-190. That seems to be confirmed by the fact that the factory fan on temp is about 175 on the yzfx whereas it was 207 on my husky. One other ktm I rode was also over 200 for temp on switch. My fx seems to make more power at less than 200. Although for oil and engine life I like around 200.

M
Jan 14, 2004
So what is the correct temp for a 2015 WR450F? I have the PST jacket and the Thermobob and Saturday my bike seemed to run a fairly consistent 160. That seems cool for having a tstat and an engine jacket not to mention it was a fairly warm day(30-45F). I'm thinking of blocking the smaller radiator to see what kind of temps I get.

Do you have the 80/176 C/F degree thermostat in your TBob? You may need to get the next one up which I think is 90 degree C, you'll have to check their website.

M5

B
You guys ever check your temps in the summer? I never did till I converted my bike back to wheels and left my temp gauge on the bike it’s over 200 all the time,,450 KTM never misses a beat, I think KTM says they consider Over heating at around 250, mine starts burping around there.

I have a temp screen on on my Trail Tech Voyager all year long as well as the separate page that will show, like a heart rate monitor, a graph of how the temps have gone throughout the day and it definitely varies on the ambient temp and slow speed and high speed riding. During this summers past days, with temps in the 80's to 90's, on slow trails, the fan will be on and the temp will range anywehre from 200-224 F. Once I get back up to speed at all, I will see the temp go from 170-190 F. It is amazing how even a 5-10 mph increase cools the motor.

My bike has also never missed a beat or boiled over.

Premium Features